[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going digital
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (363 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
363 KB, 500x700
At what point one should start thinking about switching to drawing tablets?
Shouldn't you familiarise yourself with crayons, coloured pencils and other real materials before attempting to replicate the effect digitally? Why did you switch? Do you think you did it too early / too late?
>>
>>2498841
you should learn all the basics in pencil and charcoals first or at the very least use traditional for studies even if you paint illustrations in photoshop, I started using digital in 2004 but I kept doing all my studies in pencils. Perspective, figure drawing, stilllives, ect.

Once in my sophomore college illustration class we were to paint a figure with a tattoo. I did mine in digital because that's just what I did my illustrations in but the teacher was hardcore into traditional media(pencils mostly). Now, she was a very annoy teacher but she's fucking a fucking amazing illustrator(Lisa French). She just had a very limited view of illustration from her time 80s/90s and only believed in traditional forms of illustration jobs like for advertisements, books covers, and shit like that. She really didn't understand that the times were changing and there has been a huge shift in the illustration market in the last 10 years or so.

But anyways. I did my illustration in digital and she got all pissy about and told me to do it in pencil or acrylic. I went home, opened the small pack of prismacolor pencils I got years ago, and finished the illustration in an hour and half that looked just as photorealistic as my digital painting did. That was the first time I ever used colored pencils. She was grumpy toward me ever since.

The point is, it really doesn't matter what media you use. In the end art theory can be applied to anything and works just as easy between digital and traditional.
>>
>>2498857
I really need to proofread shit before I post it.

One thing I forgot to add about the benefit of doing all your studies in traditional media. You get to sell them. People fucking love landscape and still life paintings. You can sell a small landscape painting easily for $500 or more.

Here's what ya do. Go get a nice portable easel and go to any downtown area in your city. Setup somewhere with a lot of foot traffic and start your studyin and paintin. Odds are people will stop and watch you a bit. Someone will offer to buy it on the spot. Or at the very least offer to buy it when it's finished and give you their contact info.

You can make some nice money doing this. At the very least enough to keep paying for your oils, canvas, and studies.
>>
>>2498861
fuckig nice anon. i will keep this in mind. fuck its

sreen shot saved. never forget
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.