[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ic/ book list
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 15
File: bookrecswip.png (1 MB, 900x1560) Image search: [Google]
bookrecswip.png
1 MB, 900x1560
Other boards have recommended reading lists, and since there was a thread about it on /lit/ I started putting together one for /ic/. What other books does it need? I'm mostly thinking more books on painting.
>>
>>2487178
>Bammes

I don't read Cuck

>Jeno Barcsay

One of the worst anatomy books ever

>Imaginative Realism

>lets make puppets and dolls houses and sheiit

Otherwise not that bad, Hampton is babby tier and kind of a shit draughtsman so it's only worth reading if you aren't willing to put in the hours with heavier, but better material.

Replace with Richer, Vanderpoel, J.D Harding and Edgar Payne.
>>
File: barcs606.jpg (124 KB, 606x840) Image search: [Google]
barcs606.jpg
124 KB, 606x840
>>2487183
Just look at the pictures in the Bammes book. I included the Jeno Barcsay book because it has diagrams of the bones and muscles, is there a better book that does this? It's not bad, but the drawing is a bit eccentric. The Hampton book is excellent. I don't care for Loomis but I included them anyway.
>>
>>2487178
>I'm mostly thinking more books on painting.
having a book lists for painting is not bad, but should not be the single one, others might hop in with focus on drawing, and they will start bashing on the list since it does't help them
>>
>>2487190
>I included the Jeno Barcsay book because it has diagrams of the bones and muscles, is there a better book that does this?

Yeah, Paul Richer's Artistic Anatomy, it's the gold standard, guy devoted his life to anatomy and was the highest authority on the subject in the Paris Ecole.
>>
Honestly this is one of the only art books I've owned. My dad gave it to me when I was like 3 and it's what led me to pursue cartooning and animation.
>>
Where the fuck is Keys to Drawing??? ? ?
>>
>>2487178
"Guide to landscape painting" by JF Carlson

"Oil painting techniques" Harold Speed.
>>
>>2487330
In the garbage can where it belongs.
>>
>>2487356

It can't be in the trash, spot is already occupied by your mom.
>>
File: c4Wl5Wf.png (274 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
c4Wl5Wf.png
274 KB, 500x305
>>2487178
You need the holy grail of art books, anon.
>>
>>2487375
Oh my god, even when I was 10 I didn't believe a word in those books, my art books, even the "HOW TO DRAW MANGA" ones had decentr art in them, so when my teacher offered me these books, I think I laughed.
>>
>>2487375
Actually I agree that these should be on the list for the simple fact that everyone on /ic/ should know what these are and why they're bad (aside from the obvious). cause to an absolute ground zero beginner, they might not know.
>>
>>2487404
I got the second one at a book fair because how to draw manga books weren't much of a thing yet (like it was literally a YEAR before that anime boom began so I was a weeaboo before weeaboos at the time).

I didn't flip through it and just bought it and brought it to class because my class was leaving and I took too long to find something I wanted.

When I went to my health class I busted it out because me and my two art (anime) friends were in that class and we spent the class not only laughing at how BAD the art was, but also redrawing a lot of them and making it better.

I still kept it and flipped through it occasionally out of boredom but after that year when I got one of the newly translated how to draw manga books from Japan I ditched it.
>>
File: 50robots.jpg (29 KB, 260x338) Image search: [Google]
50robots.jpg
29 KB, 260x338
>>2487415
My uncle bought and sold books for a living, so one of the few things I ever had in excess was literature. When I started to truly get into art (prolly around 9-10, didn't start wanting to art for a living until 13) he had a constant stream of art and htd books coming through the house, that I'd absolutely devour. I still have a lot of them, and even more that I still use for reference, because he'd even give me art theory books. Ill post a couple that I still keep, purely because of how helpful they are. First up is what looks like a horrible book, but most of it is actually teaching you shape language. More of the book is dedicated to telling you how to make your own than actually teaching you how to draw THOSE images:
>>
File: fantasy.jpg (26 KB, 260x342) Image search: [Google]
fantasy.jpg
26 KB, 260x342
>>2487422
>>2487415
The other one I'm carrying with me even now is this one. Looks like a better bet, desu, and it doesn't disappoint. Literally all art theory and dissection, it takes you through the process of concept design and painting, it mainly talks about composition, texture and value. I've got more at home, will post once I get back.
>>
>>2487178

I would add "How to draw comics the Marvel way" to that list.
Shows how to rough out figures from imagination better than Loomis imo.

"Figure drawing without a model" is also one of the best books on figure construction.
>>
>>2487435

"Figure drawing without a model" is by Ron Tiner, btw
>>
File: 1404536865917.jpg (40 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1404536865917.jpg
40 KB, 535x577
>>2487375

>be spoiled little 15 year old shit wanting "Alla Prima" for christmas
>have hardworking mother raising two kids on her own and knows nothing about art and cant afford it
>its christmas eve and me and my sister are about to open our presents
>"this is for you anon" mom tells me with a proud smile as she hands over the carefully wrapped gift with golden ribbons
>unwraps the present, its the blue how to draw manga book
>cant hide my strong feelings of disgust
>tells her "you better kept the receipt mom" with a annoyed tone in my voice
>she softly tells me "no, I thought you would like it"
>the disappointed look on her face.jpg
>feel really bad but dont say anything because Im a 15 year old shit sperg
>mom goes to bed earlier than usually saying shes tired
>its the afternoon on christmas day and at my friends place playing vidya
>receives a call, someone says my mother collapsed and was rushed to the hospital
>friends dad drives me there
>hear my little sister crying and screaming down the hall
>its too late
>run into the room and mom is lying there, except its not mom, just a pale body that vaguely resembles her
>gets told it was heart failure and my whole world is spinning
>no tears, just feel numb as I try to comfort sister
>aunt and her family comes over to our house to be with us
>silent dinner that night, food doesnt taste anything, everything feels unreal
>excuse myself to go to my room, locks door behind me
>see the book on my desk
>bursts into tears realizing this was the last christmas eve I will ever spend with mom

>mfw the how to draw manga book is the most priced item in my art book collection
>>
>>2487531

Former med student here. Your mother probably had a heart condition and would have died or had a stroke in the next week or so anyway.

Stress can't cause a heart attack.
>>
>>2487531
i hope you're doing this to shitpost and not actually trying to seek attention
>>
File: manga derp.jpg (32 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
manga derp.jpg
32 KB, 460x460
>>2487375
Think how many victims Katy must have claimed.
>>
File: 51w49WD+oGL._SY400_.jpg (56 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
51w49WD+oGL._SY400_.jpg
56 KB, 500x395
>>2487178
Needs this
>>
betty edwards new drawing and charles bargue drawing course
>>
File: josefalbersinteractionofcolors.jpg (140 KB, 904x1427) Image search: [Google]
josefalbersinteractionofcolors.jpg
140 KB, 904x1427
>>
the noble approach
>>
File: IMG_20160417_223038.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160417_223038.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
No disappointment from the books I own. Could use some anatomy.
>>
>>2487178
I think this is a really good idea. For comics I'd like to nominate the first three books in the How to Draw Manga series by Tatsuhiro Ozaki (being oriented for people wanting to comic in a manga style which I think many people coming to /ic/ want to d) as well as How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, of course.

Also conspicuous by its absense is a basic book on perspective like Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling, which is absolutely essential. I know how How to Draw covers that but How to Draw is frankly a very advanced book and I would recommend it to someone just starting to learn perspective anymore than I'd recommend How to Render to someone who needs to learn how to shade spheres, cubes, and cones from a single light source.
>>
File: 1437505770199.gif (929 KB, 264x320) Image search: [Google]
1437505770199.gif
929 KB, 264x320
>>2487582
My pentel brush pen had a shitty drawing like that on the package as well. I mean...why? Why the fuck would you put that on quality products? Kim Jung-Gi uses brushpens by pentel all the fucking time, couldn't they have hired him for a simple sketch? And it's not like Pentel or Faber-Castell are small no-name companies that can't afford a fucking sketch from a good artist.
>>
File: 1420745414919.jpg (31 KB, 299x264) Image search: [Google]
1420745414919.jpg
31 KB, 299x264
>>2490083
This. Many people want a book like that and among the literally thousands of books named "how to draw manga" these are probably the only actually good ones. It makes it really hard to look for a good book among the piles of trash so it would make sense to include at least the first one.

I don't know about Bammes or the Barcsay books on anatomy...I would rather recommend Classic human anatomy by Winslow and Anatomy for Sculptors by Zarins. I also hate Hogharth so I would swithc that with head and hands by loomis, but I guess it's more of a subjective opinion.

I would also add Drawing lessons from the great masters which offers analysis of like 100 drawings by old masters. And Chales Bargue Drawing course which offers a different, more classical approach to learning to draw. Otherwise I pretty much agree with most of the books there that I know.

Lastly, does anyone have a download link for that Comics and sequential art by Eisner? I can't seem to find it in the book thread or with google.
>>
>>2487259
>Chris Hart
>>
>>2490322
To me it makes perfect sense. They hire someone to draw a chromosome-leaking autist to best represent their target audience of mangaka-wannabes who, seeing their reflection in the product they buy, are thus more motivated to buy the little shits.
>>
>>2490345
http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/Will_Eisner-Theory_of_Comics_and_Sequential_Art.pdf

here or visit my mega upload
https://mega.nz/#fm/PRlDDKjD
>>
>>2490973
That's always been my theory as well. It's still painful to look at though.
>>
Bumping for interest
Also, OP, if you want to really work on a chart you'll probably have more luck in the Art Book thread in getting feedback and recommendations
>>
>>2491036
Thanks for the mega.
>>
You book buff types, can you help me out? I need a short list of the "best" books that teach how to construct the human form. With special consideration towards anatomy over rendering or gesture.

I already have a lot of books on my external hdd but not much time and I'm rather confused.
>>
>>2487375
Victim here. I knew it wasn't like the anime I enjoyed, but I thought it would help me get there. The worst habits I gained were the eyes and chopping off the heads.
>>
>>2487531
Jesus.
>>
>>2487531
This is the funniest thing ive read all day
>>
where's anatomy for sculptors famigula
>>
So stoked to have finally ordered Robertson's How to Draw.

Also have Drawing on the Right Side, Keys to Drawing, Perspective Made Easy, How to Render and Anatomy for the Artist. I've got all the knowledge, none of the talent!
>>
File: Andrew Loomis - Eye Of Painter.jpg (39 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
Andrew Loomis - Eye Of Painter.jpg
39 KB, 375x500
>>2487178
needs MORE LOOMIS
>>
>>2487178
Scott robertson is such a fucking meme fzd faggots been shilling him here all thd fucking time
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.