[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have been drawing/inking and painting since I was a kid. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I have been drawing/inking and painting since I was a kid. I'm in my 20s now, and I've realized that I am merely a photocopy machine. I draw what I see, but everything always seems a bit... off. I believe this is because I haven't studied the foundations. I think the subjects in my art have no weight to them, and often proportions are off. I also have a problem drawing from the mind, the things I create from nothing tend to suffer the same fate but worse. I am thinking of purchasing a book to help self study and have narrowed it down to four options:

1. Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis
2. Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton
3. Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement by Valerie Winslow
4. Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life

If you had to pick one that would give me a good foundation which would it be? Also feel free to suggest a reading order or to supplement your own suggestions in place.
>>
>narrowed it down to four options

No. Instead, you're gonna read all 4, and continue on from there.

Instead, read them up in a certain order.
Start with Michael Hampton and Bridgman's book at the same time, going back and forth. Then read up on Classic Human anatomy. Then finish up with Loomis' book Figure Drawing for All It's Worth.

However, once you're done with all 4, you basically just started. Where to go from there is up to you. The book section has great recommendations.
>>
>>2480197
For a book focused on figures, I like Hampton's book. It doesn't get as bogged down in measurements and anatomy. It focuses on feeling the forms, and gesture and weight. It focuses more on the basic foundations I guess, the most important stuff. So I think it's best to start with.

Loomis' books are great too though, and touch on placing figures in a scene, perspective, composing shots, that sort of thing. A little in the book you listed, more in the "Successful Drawing" book.

Bridgeman's books are also great. Some nice ways of thinking about the forms, but I found his stuff to be a chore to read through.

I'd recommend to work through all 3, slowly and methodically one at a time. But yeah, I'd start with Hampton if you just want to focus on drawing figures from imagination right now.

I've never read the Valerie Winslow book so can't comment on that.
>>
>>2480228
not op but is this possible study 4 books in same time? i don't think so
>>
>>2480243
Not at the same time, no.
You're just gonna read up on one and continue forward. There's a lot to learn on the subject, and you're not going to get it all in the first try. They all teach the same thing, but use different methods. In the end, they want you to draw the figure and understand how and why it works. How they explain it is different, but the end goal is all the same.
>>
Reminds me of an old movie poster. You can probably make some good money if you do them really big. I see alot of people with money who love to put stuff like that in their house.
>>
>>2480270
Bruh Loomis is dead he can't make any money no more.
>>
>>2480197
Whatever you do, don't read multiple books with different methods. It's going to make you confused. If you don't understand or dislike a book's method, try another.

I really struggled with Loomis, found myself much better off with Bridgman and the same things instantly clicked because of the different teaching method.
Either way, Loomis, Hampton and Bridgman are all valid.
>>
>>2480337
RIP ;-;
>>
>>2480337
True

He passed away just a month ago

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2016/03/08/17739955/andrew-loomis-drummer-for-dead-moon-has-died
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.