[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magazines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: imagineFX-magazine.jpg (68 KB, 369x500) Image search: [Google]
imagineFX-magazine.jpg
68 KB, 369x500
What do /ic/ think about digital art magazines?
>>
>What does /ic/ think of XYZ

Why do you care? Let me tell you. You don't. The only reason these threads exist is to create a shitstorm. Here's how they always pan out:

>Op asking the question "WHAT DO AI SEE THINK"
>some people like it
>more people like it
>one person doesn't really like it
>people attack this guy
>"post your work" x 1000
>this is now about proving you can do better rahter than giving critique based on what you have to say.
>people disregard any critique and demand this guy has to show that he is good enough to give said critique, which wasn't even the point.
>thread 404
>rinse and repeat

Every

Fucking

Time
>>
>>2470984
¿What do you think?
¿did someone in the past ask the same question?
¿is it 4chan?
ask the question
>>
I subscribed to it for a year back in 2012-2013. It had some good workshops every once in a while (Sparth, Dave Rapoza) but most were average and some were awful so I didn't feel that the good content made up for it. Not a bad publication but better to just buy the issues with your favorite artists and skip the ones with a lot of filler.
>>
>>2471002
Right
>>
Living in a poorer country, I'd buy it sometimes to read on the toilet if it didn't cost 4-8x as much as other (local) magazines. I can afford it easily but it just doesn't feel like it's worth it.
>>
Some magazines has goods tutorials, but internet is free i think
>>
>>2470962
I usually pick one of those up whenever I'm in the airport. I like em; some pretty nice stuff in there. I remember specifically one with a feature on ruanjia that gave me some decent insight into his process.
>>
File: 32180-444x600.jpg (116 KB, 444x600) Image search: [Google]
32180-444x600.jpg
116 KB, 444x600
>>2470962
Anyone have the Ruan Jia video from this edition?
>>
I use to do a lot of work for them but they haven't contacted me in awhile. My first contact was their main editor but I don't think she is working for them anymore and same thing for the other guy I use to talk to.

They don't pay all that much but they are fun to do. The most they paid me was for a spread workshop and that was only $400~ or so. For those little Q/A workshops they pay around $200 for 2 of em. Sometimes less.

I'm not much of a writer as I am a painter so I just send em a block of text to edit into something usable, ololololololol

it's neat when you do a main workshop they send you a copy of the magazine without any of the front text. It's just the cover image and it's rad as fuck.
>>
File: sadpuss.jpg (52 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
sadpuss.jpg
52 KB, 500x400
>>2471581
mfw I bought the magazine and downloaded some files but apparently not all the files because no Ruan Jia video to be found. I guess that's what I get for paying no attention to the rest of the mag and just buying it for master Mullins.
>>
>>2470997
>¿
>>
>>2471581
Ruan Jia videos :^)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltqbRywpCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzQdZQBAOyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFO0LRB-yGg
>>
Magazines is more for a consolidation of materials and tutorials so you don't have to look around the internet to discover artists and tutorials. I subscribed to ImagineFX for two years, it was fun reading a new edition each time it was in, but now they just collect dust and I am hoping to sell them on ebay sometime in the future. It was about $230 for two years, so about $10 a month. I didn't resubscribe because they often run out of material and fill the gap with mediocre or crappy artists. I am also not that big of a fan of digital art, I actually subscribed after reading about ImagineFX having an article on James Gurney, which made me believe they might include some other articles about good traditional artists in later editions, which didn't happen as often as I liked.
>>
>>2471912
It's not so much about them running out of material than it is running out of money. There is a lot of content in those magazines and every one of those artists need to get paid.

Magazines are a dying media so its getting harder and harder to maintain that many quality artists.
>>
>>2471790
It was some downloadable feature that was offered with the magazine, that is the only issue I ever read through so it's definitely in that one. I read it at my schools library, but they only have the newer one available now- so I can't really check how to get it again
>>2471866
0/10
>>
>>2470962
Artgerm
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.