[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Copic markers worth it or just overhyped? I bought a Copic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: $_3.jpg (29 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
29 KB, 500x331
Are Copic markers worth it or just overhyped?
I bought a Copic ciao marker in black and fell in love with the big brush tip. Is there any cheaper alternatives to these markers?
>>
Copics are nice if you have the money to splurge, but shinhan touch markers are a good cheaper alternative
I've heard good things about the windsor newton markers, but I think they might be even more expensive
>>
>>2462723
Damn, those Windsor Newton ones would have been perfect but they don't ship to Finland....
>>
>>2462717
depends on your budget honestly. As I have grown up, I realize things aren't really that expensive anymore, and there are plenty of other things that are more painful to pay for: going out for dinner, data plans, plane tickets, car repairs, home repairs, etc. The cost of markers is in the noise of my yearly expenses.

If you like drawing traditionally, markers are a clean, atomic way of adding values to your drawings with nice discrete color selections. When I bought mine, I had worked my way from
>pencil
>pen
>brush pen
>cool gray scale prismas
>warm gray scale prismas
>used copics off ebay

I've been happy with them, although now I have digital needs because at the end of the day the markers were too much overhead for me to learn about color and value. Digital is just much faster and more forgiving.
>>
File: IFd3lDHXay.jpg (282 KB, 1000x688) Image search: [Google]
IFd3lDHXay.jpg
282 KB, 1000x688
>>2462745
Are you sure they don't have them in Finland? They are available everywhere in Sweden, so if you can't find them locally it should be easy to find a Swedish shop that ships to you.
If it's the Promarkers you're thinking of, they are a helluva lot cheaper than Copics. The pigment markers cost a bit more but still cheaper than Copics, and are also lightfast. I don't know about their compability with Copics though..
>>
One copic sketch marker is 8 bucks on their official page, one refill which I heard is good for like 8 refills is 9 bucks. So for 17 bucks you get the worth of 9 single use markers which adds up to little less than 2 bucks a pop or 1.5$ if you go for the Ciao markers instead. If you're going to use them a lot it's worth it especially considering the quality and if you can make some money on the stuff you draw with them (the ink is archival which is great if you want to sell the drawings), they can pay for themselves really fast.
>>
I really enjoy Copic markers. I don't enjoy their price, but I enjoy the "copic compatibility" that as far as I've experienced is accurate. Deleter ink is compatible with Copic markers which I use with my G nibs. Copic makes multiliners, again compatible with their markers. The refills are around $5-$7, which is cheaper or around the same price as a marker. Each refill gets around 8-10 marker uses. Copic sells replacement brush nibs set of 3 for $5. 358 total colors currently.

I know this sounds like a paid advert, but really I just enjoy using them. I'm exclusively traditional though, no digital. I just don't like the feel of digital, using layers, etc. Digital is definitely more convenient and cheaper though. The cost of Copics caused me to get a set here and there, and made me learn to use what I had. This in turn I think made me a better pen&ink artist in all. I think getting a huge set would be overwhelming at first, and honestly there is no reason to unless you're using markers/ink A LOT. It would kind of be like someone who didn't know how to really use colored pencils to go out and drop $150 on a 150 count Prismacolor set. Get used to using alcohol markers first, then buy a few Copics when they're on sale to see if you like them more or can tell a difference.
>>
>>2462789
I think you put this very well.
When it all boils down, it's a one time big investment, and then you only have to pay for refills as you need them. Each refill can fill a marker up to four times I believe (Maybe more maybe slightly less but either way it's cost effective).

If you can go out for dinner once a week (or even once a month) for a year, you can buy a set of copics. It's an investment and if you'll use them it'll be money well spent and the markers themselves will last you forever if you take care of them.

I still havea set of ciaos from middle school (fucking MIDDLE SCHOOL. I'm 25 now) that work fine. Some of them are dry and need to be refilled and idk how well their tips will work after that, but some of them aren't even empty and still work like new.

I say start with sets of what you'll use.

I'm debating on buying them myself. I bought the grey set of sketch markers at Michael's and i've been re-hooked since (especially now that I can actually render and draw) and I've been trying to figure out which set I'll use most so I can buy some more.
>>
>>2462717
ShinHan Touch are nice, Spectrum Noir are cheap and are decent for their price, Prismacolors are always a nice choice if you can't afford Copic. There's the Windsor and Newton that others have mentioned but from what I've seen they have been expensive.

Also as others have said though start out with a set of grays first to get a feel for them and see if its what you really want to pursue. Copics are mostly set up to be a big investment out the gate for serious long time users since the refills are cheaper in the long run then simply replacing a marker if it dries out.
>>
File: gross.png (388 KB, 560x427) Image search: [Google]
gross.png
388 KB, 560x427
She looks like she has a skin condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl7mjRdrS0g
>>
>>2467437
That's because the person using this doesn't know how to blend and/or wasn't using a suitable paper.

Also, isn't this artist that weeb Tite Kubo ripoff?
>>
>>2467437

She only looks like she has a skin condition if you are trying to pull realism out manga style artwork with color added to it. As for why it looks the way it does: He used two colors and didn't blend. It's traditional ink on paper, and he chose to give it the marker stylization or
"marker texture". Since she has darker skin he decided to not have a flat face and left little bits of light to give it structure. I mean honestly it could be a lack of skill or some of his markers dried up, but to me it looks better than if it was just a bland solid two tone face. Sure, you could add more but again he is trying to keep that manga feel. It's hard to find a good balance between the two when you introduce color. Not impossible just difficult.

>>2468032

How do you rip off Tite Kubo? Do you mean evidence surfaced that he traced or something? The reason why I ask is because Tite Kubo's "style" is just your generic Shonen "style". It is the same as pretty much every serial in the Shonen Jump weekly magazine, usually aimed towards younger audiences. Whyt does great tutorials, writes and draws his own manga and has managed to self fund and publish a series. From what I've seen and read about him he seems to be really supportive in the amateur art and mangaka community. Also his manga is actually prebby gud, so you should check it out. The dialogue is a bit cheesy at first but he is getting better as he goes along.
>>
>>2468541
Sup Whyt I didn't know you posted on /ic/. This probably isn't the place to shill your shitty faux-manga.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.