[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drawer's Block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_m3tbwgHg1f1r37x8yo1_500.jpg (114 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3tbwgHg1f1r37x8yo1_500.jpg
114 KB, 500x364
What do you guys do when you have drawer's block? In need of inspiration.
>>
>>2464891
Fucking stop whining and draw anything.
>>
Try browsing the reference threads
>>2464716
>>2458693
>>2456222
>>2450871
>>2444600
>>2441309
>>2439437
>>
>Often a creative block comes from an inability to stay focused on just one task at hand. Your mind feels overwhelmed or distracted by too many things. "Your brain feels like a big knot, and you only think of your kitchen that needs a cleaning," says German-based photographer Matthias Heiderich in Krysa's book. "It makes sense to stop working then, and to re-sharpen the senses."

>Heiderich's solution is what he calls "Once Around the Block," inspired by the name of a song by musician Badly Drawn Boy. Simply getting out of your chair, exploring your own neighborhood, paying attention to the houses and sidewalks and shop windows rather than staying stuck in your head and your workspace, can help reenergize you. "Trying to see the banal objects around you in a new light can be a good brain boost," he says.

>Having endless possibilities to choose from can be overwhelming and ultimately lead to a block. That's why setting rules or parameters for yourself can help you start thinking creatively without getting lost in the wilderness of possibilities.
>>
>Sometimes getting past a creative block simply means pushing through the resistance you're feeling. It's easy to run from a project that's giving you trouble, but sticking with it when you feel uncomfortable takes willpower.

>"There will be one point in every project where I decide that my idea is absolutely stupid," says Kristi Malakoff, a Canadian-based artist who makes large installations using cut paper. "It’s just pure willpower that gets me through these moments."

>Inspiration doesn't just strike. It's cultivated. Waiting around for the perfect moment to launch into a project or tackle a creative challenge will keep you waiting for a long time. Just do the work, advises South African ceramics artist Ruan Hoffmann. "Through work comes new ideas, and the spark to either follow and develop, or develop and then abandon," he says.

> "Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you."
>>
>“There is never a lack of subject matter; just absence of creativity.”

>If you cannot think of what to draw or paint, try study or copy from master artists. This is a good opportunity for you to challenge yourself and you will discover new things along the way copying the work of artists you like and admire such as John Singer Sargent, Frank Frezetta, or any great artists.

>Life drawing session, just go draw from live models or go outside and do some landscape sketch, composition, study trees, leaves, building, people. Just draw!
This one is easy. But I often choose life drawing session because there are people there and it motivate you to draw faster and more.

>Change mediums. If you draw with tablet, start random doodling with pencil in the sketchbook. If you use pencil, try markers, charcoals, brushes, etc.

>for a run! That what usually works for me, get sweat and you will be rejuvenate. Believe it or not, your brain will function so fresh after a good long (at least 20 minute) sweat. If you don’t run, get into the habit! It’s good for your health and cheap. Or you can punch the bag or any exercise you might prefer.

>Find new inspiration pieces, I do this a lot. Internet is a HUGE collection of information. I usually visit darkroastedblend.com, englishrussia.com, or cghub and look for something cool. Or to avoid the computer, go visit to a local gallery or museum often helps. Or go through art books and magazines. Take the pressure off of yourself and just enjoy other artists’ work.
>>
File: 1329535058463.jpg (558 KB, 2658x1562) Image search: [Google]
1329535058463.jpg
558 KB, 2658x1562
>Do anatomy study, landscape study, just anything to keep you drawing and painting. You can also study something you don’t usually pay attention to. Make it a mission of studying just hands for a few days or feet or hair, etc. It’s always good to do some review and study.

>"A visually loaded word or phrase can jump out from a passage of text, or a song," proposes London based designer and illustrator Craig Ward. "Be sure to sketch those ideas down when they come."

>"There's no such thing as a bad idea: the creative part is in seeing it though to completion, and turning dreams into reality," argues Mr Mills, creative director at ustwo.

>Go and do something else entirely. You'd be amazed at where new ideas are hiding out. They're often where you would least expect them to be.
>>
>>2464891
Wanna buy some spark?
>>
>>2464891
I am not an artist, but a mechanical design engineer.
When I get a problem to solve and it is big I sometimes get stuck. I feel a lack of ideas when I see the problem as really big, intimidating.
The first principle I found out is to limit internal planning and worrying, now I just start from some part that can be solved and that usually gets the ball rolling.
However, there are times when ideas just don't come. Now I solve this by working on even the stupidest looking ideas I can think of and that starts the ball rolling guaranteed.
The thing is to do something. Getting good rest and not burning out also helps.
>>
>>2464891
I smash the damn thing to pieces, no drawer will fucking ruin my day because it decided to block me.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.