[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm having some trouble while studying Michael Hampton's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8
I'm having some trouble while studying Michael Hampton's orks. Basically, he talks about cervical, thoracic, and lumbar parts of a gesture. Okay, cool. To boot he illustrates it very well so I can understand, they're supported by primarily C curves. Alright.

But what do I do when the C of a certain part of the spine isn't visible? Like if the head is covering the neck, which is common, or if the subject is crouched and you can't see the lumbar? I could dinfer, but it doesn't mesh well with the gesture and immediately interrupts the flow.

I also have a question regarding straight lines vs cross contours to signify the waistline or a rounded, important form. Like here, where would the gesture be? Could I make it by just using cross-contours and c curves?

Also

>tfw you're hyped as hell to tuck into the Loomis, Vilppu, Hampton, and Matessi books and binge the Proko videos
>you're pulling yourself in so many directions you never move and don't get shit done
>>
File: Spider-Man Blue Lantern Redline.png (386 KB, 736x1011) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man Blue Lantern Redline.png
386 KB, 736x1011
>>2452288
I'm thinking of something like this?
>>
>>2452291
At fist I didn't like this way, emphasizing the mannequinn, but I've really come to appreciate it. It gives me a clearer image of what I'm (trying) to understand, and the contruction means less chances for me to scribble around in a panic (compensating for not knowing what I'm doing).

I tried using more straights to keep from scribbling, and less curves. I realize that the mode of attack is different for every pose, but it'd be nice if I could have a basic formation. Maybe it's good to always question myself, think of another way, Idk. At the same time it keeps me stressed don whether o not I'm doing it correctly.
>>
File: Gesture from NMA.png (180 KB, 749x721) Image search: [Google]
Gesture from NMA.png
180 KB, 749x721
Regarding this method, I'm always worried bout making it too 'busy'. But when using the simple, few lines as possible method that Proko talks about, it looks a lot worse.
>>
Stick to Hampton for a few years. Matessi is more advanced and a lot of his advice is kind of ambiguous and difficult to digest as a beginner

Vilppu has really great anatomy videos but they're also for more advanced draftsmen. I'm aware of his figure drawing videos but am not too familiar with them. iirc theyre not as straightforward/technical as Hamptons which in my opinion isn't always beneficial for beginners but from what I understand vilppus approach is pretty similar to Hamptons

Basically I would stick with hampton for a year or two and then I would look into vilppus videos. Matessis approach requires not only a lot of discipline but also a level of confidence, knowledge and muscle memory that you won't develop for a few years. Not to mention the intent of his approach is for animation, which unless you're an animator or aspiring to be one might not prove to be useful to you
>>
>>2452357
>tfw I've been drawing for four years
Well, two if I admit I actually started paying attention after a while. A few months if I admit that I didn't decide to get my basic fundamentals down until summer last year and actually nurture my love of drawing by doing it constantly. Didn't know how to hold a pencil or have patience until I did some DoTRS exercises.

Keys to drawing is a good read, too, so I'm trying to supplement with that. It's difficult because I've been told trying to learn more than one thing at once is a bad idea, but I want to try everything.

But I'm awful and your post makes me realize that. Got to work on that. Thanks!
>>
>>2452433
>>tfw I've been drawing for four years
Doesn't matter, things can still be new. Your experience of those 4 years will only make it so it's all easier to understand.
Someone that started 2 weeks ago won't be able to get the material as fast or fully as you do.

>>2452299
So many drawn on top of each other and I have no clue what is happening at the shoulder/neck area.
Maybe you're going a little too fast, you could try being slower and think of the line before you place it.
You could also try using more straight lines, it will make it more rigid and easier to define the form (it doesn't have to be boxes though).
>>
>>2452444
Ya made me feel better; thank you anon.

Yeah, it is a clusterfuck. I'd like to say it'd be better on paper, but I really can't handle the tablet like I can a pencil. For one, it's a pen, so I can't really use the wide, sweeping circles that I would normally do with a pencil. I have no patience with it. Too small and it will be too sharp. Too big, and it'll be too obtuse. At least with a pencil I can change my grip and pressure easily.

Two, I had no idea what I was doing. That was just me trying to make sense of the Hampton week 1 and 2 vids I've been dipping into. I think I was on to something with the straight lines, but the legs and overall gesture of the torso confuse the heck outta me.

Maybe it would help if I copied Hampton's gestures, got a feel for them.
>>
>>2452480
>I'd like to say it'd be better on paper
Post your traditional. I dislike using digital for the same reason. I've tried it for a couple of years, but I've just not been able to get the hang of it.
In traditional media I feel like I have a lot of more control and can do more with a simple pencil.
>>
>>2452480
>>2452488
What tablets are you two using?
>>
>>2452488
What I have on hand isn't good. I should reiterate: I'm a lot more comfortable with traditional media. That is pencil, pen.

>>2452499
I'm using monoprice. Not sure which one, but it was in the $70 range.
>>
File: DSC00586.jpg (3 MB, 2592x4608) Image search: [Google]
DSC00586.jpg
3 MB, 2592x4608
>>2452502
Had to sort my camera. Old one after Vilppu.
>>
File: DSC00655 (Medium).jpg (212 KB, 768x1365) Image search: [Google]
DSC00655 (Medium).jpg
212 KB, 768x1365
>>2452534
It's not as bad as it - maybe it is.
>>
File: DSC00650 (Medium).jpg (241 KB, 768x1365) Image search: [Google]
DSC00650 (Medium).jpg
241 KB, 768x1365
>>2452550
It's like a walk down a road of shame...
>>
File: DSC00651 (Medium).jpg (255 KB, 768x1365) Image search: [Google]
DSC00651 (Medium).jpg
255 KB, 768x1365
>>2452553
These are from Keys to Drawing, btw. Draing from it helps me draw more.

That's all I got worth showing, really. I'm pretty rusty at figure drawing and what I have of them is pretty damn embarrassing.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.