[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robotpencil Guild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: RBPGAJ.jpg (175 KB, 1484x1920) Image search: [Google]
RBPGAJ.jpg
175 KB, 1484x1920
Why are you not apart of something bigger?
>>
i was but then i pulled out of you're mom lmoa
>>
>>2250317
Because Anthony Jones, while a good painter, is a terrible teacher. He rambles on with a congested voice, you would be much better served watching from someone that can actually teach in bite sized focused videos like Matt Kohr on ctrl paint
>>
>>2250322
I completely disagree,
I think Anthony Jones is a bit too "Mr. Conceptart"-ish, and despite that he is actually a really good teacher because he knows how to keep the audience interested.
There's nothing wrong with the way that Matt Kohr teaches, it's really good, but if you want to learn something it is good with variation. Anthony is able to set apart from other teachers by bringing a lot of humor into painting, poke fun at things and try to be funny, and it might not work for everyone; but it's easier to keep someone invested that way.
It gets boring when everyone tries to keep teaching way too serious.
>>
>>2250508

Go home Anthony
>>
>>2250508
how did that nose job go anthony?
>>
>Anthony Jones
Shitty one trick pony.
>>
>>2250554
What's wrong with his art, just curious.
>>
>>2250558
Nothing, except it's extremely lazy and looks about the same with little to none variation.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1444813616138.jpg (25 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1444813616138.jpg
25 KB, 500x376
Because I'd rather watch more useful free tutorials on youtube like the mike azevedo one or bobby chiu's channel or medders art, or even pay 5 bucks for GOOD tutorials like the Zedig or Rapoza ones on gumroad rather than listen what sounds like a caveman drowning in his own bodily fluids for 30 minutes and not actually teaching anything useful.

I bought two of his tutorials once and I learned the lesson.
>>
>>2250564
"it's lazy" is probably the most idiotic and empty criticism ever, right next to "it has no soul". Especially coming from a bunch of amateurs who don't even work in this industry. I assure you any halfway decent professional works at least ten times harder on his art than 99% of /ic/ does.
>>
>>2250573

kek

I bought two too and it was like "look how I do this and that, and then this and.. oh here is the result, cool huh? Try it yourself now"
He teaches a trick to make the kinda figures he makes, in the time he made gumroad popular he posted a lot of works of people who bought his tutorial and was doing identical figures like the ones he does. If you already have good fundamentals maybe it's good to learn a trick or two in the software, but besides that don't buy it.
>>
see, this is why no professionals post their work here. doesn't matter if you're an awesome artist who's worked for Blizzard and puts out tons of educational content for cheap: if you're not one of the Holy Trinity, you suck shit.
>>
>>2250635
I don't think anyone here is discrediting his art, it has to do with his ability to teach.
>>
>>2250635
>an awesome artist who's worked for Blizzard
A hack artist who's worked for Blizzard. Don't you see how all of his stuff looks, feels and made pretty much the same way?

>educational content for cheap
How to Draw and How to Render by Scott Robertson are the educational content. That Gumroad crap he was producing are youtube video tier content.
>>
>>2250651
>Don't you see how all of his stuff looks, feels and made pretty much the same way?

I don't see how that is even a criticism. Everything Mike Mignola draws looks and feels the same. Everything Ruanjia does looks and feels the same. Everything Sargent did looked and felt the same. Where is the criticism? A good artist will develop a recognizable, consistent style. Having work that is all over the place and looks completely different each time is the sign of a rookie who hasn't yet found his artistic voice.

And calm your horses before you go all autism on my ass. No I'm NOT comparing Jones to any of those artists skill wise, I'm just saying that what you wrote can be said about pretty much every great artist who has a recognizable style or painting technique.
>>
>>2250635
>not aiming to replace one of the trinity yourself
Step it up kid.
>>
>>2250659
It's not the same. Ruan, Sargent, and other artist who are actually good, do (or did) put actual effort, ideas and skill into each work. They do feel different. Jones's just shitting out the same stuff and you can totally see trough all of his tricks and shortcut if you're not a complete amateur. You can call it efficiency, but it looks more lazy to me. Maybe he's able to do good complex and interesting images, but he sure chooses not to.
He's literally the subject of that "mr.conceptart" joke. And what's even worse that it's probably him and he thinks that self irony will decimate the fact that most of his designs looks like dudes with a vacuum cleaners instead of the heads with a bunch of FX thrown on top.
>>
>>2250677
>He's literally the subject of that "mr.conceptart" joke.

no, that's the polacks
>>
You guys are to hateful to Anthony Jones and this is why a lot of you on /ic/ will never achieve more than what you have now.

The Robotpencil Guild is not just Anthony Jones, There are more teachers and a whole community that works at being better and helping eachother to become better artists. Where as here on /ic/ everyone is so concerned with being a mediocre artist you don't see how a community helps to build relations and job opportunities.
>>
>>2250322
I don't he's that good of a painter or artist
>>
>>2250659
>A good artist will develop a recognizable, consistent style.

All I've seen from Anthony Jones is single character bw images, usually involving some drapery that cover up faces and hands. Now compare this to what you think "feels and looks the same" from Sargents or Ruanja works.
>>
>>2250715
Sargent and Ruan Jia are much better illustrators and learned artists than AJ. Even AJ realized that and had said they are better than him. It's idiotic to compare a concept artist to an illustrator, though they maybe the same medium the necessity is different.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.