[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want To Work In Animation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
I want to work in the animation industry. Doing graphic novels, working in places like Cartoon Network, Disney and networks like that. Right now im studying Graphic design cause is the closest thing my university has to an Art Career. Eventually once i get to finish college i will go to a Basic Art School and later to a French school or who knows maybe CalArts . Anyway I would love to get into Animation from the get go but i can't quit College, so I'm stuck in Graphic Design for now. I'm on the right path?
>>
>>2437794
1. Start animating now "you only need sai/ps/flash/easytoon and huion tablet"

2. Do your research

-http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
-r/animation
>>
>>2437794
just get good honestly. make a few cuts for your portfolio, move to japan, and then die poor. that's p-much all m8.
>>
>>2437794
>Want to learn animation
>Takes graphic design
>Am I on the right path guise?

Obviously you know the answer to that is no. Graphic design and animation are wildly different things.

Just start drawing. Quit college, you don't need it if you're not going to do graphic design moron, and i doubt those credits will transfer to calarts so you're wasting your time.

You could die tomorrow and all you'll have accomplished is wasting time at a college that doesn't have your program, learning skills for a medium that is vastly different from what you do. Stop.
>>
File: TRASH.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
TRASH.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>2437889
>no mention of toonboom/animate pro or TVPaint
>>
>>2438196
I don't want to die from overwork thanks.
>>2438253
Thats the issue, i can't quit College cause my folks don't want to. They do like the idea of me working in Animation and going to an Art School but i'll go once i get to finish my 5 years in College. So for now Graphic Design is all i have. Guess i'll improve my drawings while i wait
>>
>>2438440
I feel so sad for you all you millennials. You and your parents are so fucking dumb. I hope they're at least paying for your "education".
>>
>>2438472
it sucks but sometimes life its like this. They will pay everything after i finish College so theres that
>>
>>2438472

desu at least he's majoring in something that leads to an attainable career (though given the average salary for a graphic designer is like 35k I hope this anon isn't taking much in loans).

If you have to stay in college (which isn't really a terrible idea so long as you major in something that gives you quantifiable skills that lead to a well-paying career), you should really just switch to something that will allow you to pay the bills for the rest of your life so you can draw without worrying about starving. I recommend accounting. The problem with graphic design is that having a graphic design degree isn't necessary, but for other careers a degree and credentialing is, so in a way you are wasting your time and money. If it's not too late change majors.
>>
>>2438440
Why do your parents want you to wait? Seems like a waste of time, money, and stress over something you're not going to use
>>
>>2438540
They don't want me to focus only in drawing and Animation. I can understand that but in the end what i truly want to do is work in places like Disney and other networks in character design and ideas for plots and stuff like that.
>>
>>2438196
why does everyone here want to work in japanese animation? there's a huge language/cultural barrier and the working conditions are even worse than here it seems. is it just the weaboo aspect?
>>
>>2438539
That sounds way too harsh, i doubt students in CalArts end up poor.
>>
>>2438550
Artists like Japan because unlike us they really do artistic stuff. Here we make shows like Spongebob or Teen Titans GO
>>
>>2438440
>>2438539

Working in western animation isn't some unattainable career, lol. I know plenty of people who work in it, fyi. But to op: since you're already getting an arts-related degree, don't bother getting ANOTHER arts degree. It's just wasted money. Take online classes, self teach, try to find other people around. Sounds like storyboarding is closest to what you want to do.

>>2438552
That's cherrypicking. You pick Western animation mainly targeted at young children and I can pick out some generic ecchi harem anime. There's shitty and good work everywhere, and you might as well start somewhere where the odds aren't completely stacked against you, having to move overseas, adapt to a new culture/language, get paid/treated badly, etc.
>>
>>2438556
But i'm an artist. Why would i ever want to work on a kids cartoon that looks worse than the beginner's thread? American cartoons haven't been impressive since the mid 90's. it would be a waste of talent to work on ugly western animation.
>>
>>2438561
Even though I don't agree with your pov on western cartoons let's say you're right. Assuming you meant tv, I hope you realize that board artists can also work in feature, right? And in cinematics/ad houses. And in live action tv as well. There are more options than people realize for 2d artists, but it seems like a lot of people here view it like working on something like steven universe is the only option.
>>
Listen you stupid retard, finish your stupid graphic design degree while learning to animate, that means start animating now, teaching yourself and all that garbage while still finishing up your useless piece of paper, start beefing up your portfolio with shorts and other stupid garbage, just make sure whats in your portfolio is good, and I mean real good

Do all that while still going to school, and don't give me any of that "but I don't have time" bull shit, if you really want it then fucking start doing it and find time

When you're done with your degree start applying to whatever dog shit studios you want to, with your sweet dog shit portfolio and your dog shit piece of paper, it may be unrelated to the animation field, but just having a degree shows employers that you start what you finish and you're not some pussy boy quitter

After throwing your applications at enough studios someones bound to hire you (hopefully before you off yourself from making burgers for 40 hours a week) and you get to live out your sweet miserable life with your dream job, and once again you don't off yourself from doing inbetweens all day

So thats it, good luck, asshole
>>
>>2438579
Summary:
DO IT!
>>
>>2438579
yeah, a degree in the animation field already has limited value. if you're already going to finish that graphic design degree please don't waste more money, even if your parents believe it's wise. they don't know the industry you are trying to break into. you must do your own research and be a big self-starter to make it, and it seems that you haven't come to terms with that mentally yet from reading your posts. they're very vague and only somewhat mention where you might want to work, rather than what you want to want to do...
>character design and ideas for plots and stuff like that

sounds generally like you want to work in preproduction, but like you don't know anything about it

point is, I'm not discouraging you, as I know plenty of people who have "made it" so to speak, but you have to understand that it's not the sort of thing where you can just go to a school and do what you're supposed to do and that's enough. you have to always be seeking more knowledge and studying on your own time. it takes a lot of dedication.

>They don't want me to focus only in drawing and Animation.

this is something people tend to say when they don't know anything about the animation industry. they say "animation" as if that's somehow a very specific thing to study, when in fact "animation" itself is a very general term. so don't worry about that. plus, skills you acquire aiming for that industry also have cross applications other industries, most notably games.
>>
>>2438656
>where you might want to work, rather than what you want to do

to elaborate on why this is important imo: the reality of the job market (how competitive it can be, how limited the options can be) means that a lot of the time you may work on a product you're not super passionate about. it's very important that you focus on enjoying the day-in day-out and accept the reality of working as a professional artist working for an employer or providing services for clients.

if you're too focused on only working on stuff you deem worthy or artistically meaningful you can end up cynical and/or arrogant and close doors to yourself, like the guy who posted earlier.

reason I bring this up is that most people I know who work in the industry are not working on the super glamorous stuff you might hear if you ask a kid who wants to work in hollywood or animation or whatever: disney! pixar! etc. (although I do know somebody who animates at pixar). but a good amount of them are enjoying what they do, even if it's not what they expected they might like.

so as you look into the animation industry don't jump just to the popular job roles like character design because they seem the most glamorous. do some research and try some things out, give them a chance. if you're lucky and you like something less glamorous, good for you: since those tend to be more stable and sometimes pay more.
>>
>>2438561
>American cartoons haven't been impressive since the mid 90's
not true
>>
>>2438566
Steven Universe is more of a family show than a kid show.
>>
>>2438672
Whatever it takes to justify watching kids cartoons in your 20's I guess.
>>
>>2438714
Kids are part of the audience that can appreciate it, but not exclusively so.
>>
I dont know how much money you're spending on school, but you might as well finish your degree. It isnt like graphic design will do you harm; you'll probably learn colour and composition at least. Basically anything they teach you at animation schools you can learn by yourself. But it's going to be much harder, because you won't be surrounded by a supportive environment: there's no one to push you when you feel lazy, no fear of failing a course if you don't buckle down and get stuff done.

One thing I've found the hardest (majoring in animation in a media school with almost everyone else focusing on other things) is the lack of like minded people to make films with. Teamwork is really important in animation, where multiple people play a part in producing a bigger final piece, and when you have no one to share the workload with it very easily becomes overwhelming. This is what I've had to deal with. Sometimes I wish I had gone to a different school, but in the end it's mostly about knowing what you want and sweating blood to get there, like others have mentioned. Make contacts. Upload everything on social media and keep on top of it. Ask for work. Ask ANYONE. I'm currently doing a freelance assistant animator gig, because I met an animator and let him know that I was looking to work.

Also, I've heard that getting a job as a runner in an animation studio can get you places. Try that, but don't exhaust yourself.
>>
>>2437794
Since when were people that drew Graphic Novels considered as being in the Animation Industry?
>>
It's scaring me how many people out there have also this ambition, or am i getting a skewed perspective because I spend all day on /ic/? I about to jump into the industry and try to find a job soon I don't need more competition ;_;
>>
>>2438850
you probably have a skewed cynical perspective because you spend too much time here. also, try to relax about other artists. don't just view them as competition or connections. usually its obvious when people are being scummy and just talking to me so I can be a connection to them in the future.

spend more time off of /ic/ and 4chan in general, it helps cause you can get more honest crit sometimes I guess but too much is toxic
>>
>>2438850
If you can't handle competition, you might wanna stay away from any form of art/entertainment altogether. All professional artists/animators need competition. Don't be a pussy.
>>
>>2438850

unless you are already living in an industry hub city i'd heavily encourage you to focus on building a freelance career.
>>
>>2438667

You make good points but I wouldn't just instantly give up on being a prop/character designer if that's your real passion and your willing to put in the work for it.

You can create your niche if you want as well, for example do sprites for video games where often your doing both the character designs and animation.
>>
>>2438656
>>2438667
Ok thanks. I do love all this Industry adn everything that needs to use creativity so i won't ever get lazy or feel bad even if what im doing isn't what i expected. After finishing Graphic Design i'll look to improve in everything so i guess im ok
>>
>>2438825
Thanks for the advice but i think going to an Art School or Animation School would be the best for me. That way i won't feel like im a slacker. I need to do everything i can to achice my goal so i'll study everything i can, alone and with the support of thise Schools
>>
>>2438844
If you know how to draw they can call you to make stuff like those. Looks like OP wants to
specialize in everything involving Animation and Drawing
>>
>>2437794
you're part of the problem you faggot
>>
>>2438440
>I don't want to die from overwork thanks.
Looks like animation isn't for you
>>
>>2439003
Animation is done in Korea so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>2438310
>necessary
get skills faggot
>>
>>2438561
the mid 90s cartoons were fucking gross. do you want aesthetically pleasing, or not? that's why we're getting shows with more appealing styles and backgrounds like gravity falls and other modern day 'serious' cartoons. but even those are geared for children. cartoon hangover has shit for adults iirc
>>
>>2439152
>>mid 90s cartoons were fucking gross
Explain why.
Give examples.
>>
>>2439156
>grossout styles were the norm
this is what i mean. they were not aesthetically pleasing, but well animated.

look at: rugrats, Aah! real monsters, bevis and butthead, hey arnold, rocko's modern life, the wild thornberries, cow and chikin, edd ed and eddy, and well, pretty much everything except the action cartoons were not very aesthetically pleasing. not to say that they aren't great shows or anything, but their artstyles are full of eyesores. even shit that was supposed to be cute like the powerpuff girls, were pretty ugly.

it's the nostalgia glasses, anon. cartoons were hardly better written, hardly better drawn back in the day. the only perks of old cartoons over newer ones is better animation practices and less laziness overall, more 'character' and individuality.

i'd say 80s cartoons were boss, not 90-95
>>
>>2437794
>majoring
OP what kind of program do you use for drawing??
>>
>>2437794
Patroen and utube seems pretty promising if ur good so i guess just get good i guess internet will do the rest
>>
>>2438253
I want to do illustration/concept art and I'm doing graphic design, am I in the right path?
>>
>>2438310
Not him, but ToonBoom and TVPaint have some. Nightmare interfaces and shortcuts.

I did some decent stuff with ToonBoom, but it felt like pulling teeth the whole time.

Haven't tried Animate. I heard it's just flash with brushes that aren't the worst brushes in the world anymore.
>>
>>2438539
>got my first graphic design job off of Craigslist
>$43k my first year
>$47k last year
>directors and I teaching each other animation because we offered it for the first time to a client last year and now I'm paid to learn shit where expectations are low and pay is crazy high
>now proficient in AE, Flash, and now learning ToonBoom
And I went to a shitty state college in MA that doesn't even have a good art department. It's mostly a psychology school.

Seconding the notion that college is fucking worthless in art, though. If you have a good portfolio, a good personality and work ethic, you can BS your way into a debate decent job. All anyone wants from designers/illustrators/animators is good shit that's done on time.

Straight up nepotism also helps. Sucks professors cocks and they'll recommend you for shit.
>>
>>2437794
Katie pls
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.