[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a landscape give you the effect of "being there"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: summerlove2_1920.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
summerlove2_1920.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
What makes a landscape give you the effect of "being there"? When I look at a lot of landscape paintings/photos I feel like I am looking AT a picture, rather than being in it regardless of the fact that I have it on full size view filling up my whole monitor. One of Stålenhag's strengths in my opinion is that he often achieves the effect of being immersed in his painting. Is it as simple as the fact that he often has the viewpoint rather low on the horizon and shows a lot of ground?
>>
>>2408671

Link to the full size image if you can't be arsed to download it:
http://www.simonstalenhag.se/bilderbig/summerlove2_1920.jpg
>>
>>2408671
>Is it as simple as the fact that he often has the viewpoint rather low on the horizon and shows a lot of ground?

Yeah, pretty much. It's a fairly easy concept to understand if you think of yourself as the cameraman taking the shot and the horizon line is your own eye level. In this image, you are standing right behind those 2 people. If the horizon line was even lower, it would seem like you fell down or dropped the camera or something, which would give the composition an even more dramatic feeling and a bigger sense of urgency, like they are fleeing from something and you are being left behind.

If the eyelevel was very high, it would be the exact opposite, you are observing the scene from a safe distance from inside a helicopter. That type of shot is often used for establishing shots, but it lacks any sense of danger or direct involvement.
>>
File: 1429963172352.jpg (231 KB, 1000x629) Image search: [Google]
1429963172352.jpg
231 KB, 1000x629
>>2408693
man I love /ic/

thanks
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.