[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been thinking of commissioning an art piece but have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_lxs11nw1hB1r7tqhvo1_500.gif (971 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lxs11nw1hB1r7tqhvo1_500.gif
971 KB, 500x380
I've been thinking of commissioning an art piece but have no real idea how to go about finding a fitting artist or the whole process of it really so I figure I may as well ask here

The idea I've had is having someone draw an animation loop in the style (and quality) of the gif I've posted with another character I rep myself with

Be a very cool piece to showcase on my steam and etc profiles and stuff

Since it's animation with pretty fancy shading and shadowing (dat oldschool anime where'd you go), I figure it might be pretty costly to get done - but has anyone a decent idea of what roughly I should expect that to cost me? Assume hiring someone to draw that exact gif from scratch with light reference basically

Would I have to seek out a specific professional animator to do this for me, or would it suffice just posting a generic request message on tumblr or something and hope someone of appropriate skill is out looking for work? As I'm aware I'm setting the standards kinda high, I might not have many options to choose from

I'm clueless desu oniifam
>>
That's a cool idea, dude. Let's see. It's 15 frames, mercifully with most of the actual motion being limited to the hair and clothes it should be doable "relatively" inexpensively, but the lighting is pretty complex, even with a reference it would be take quite some time to emulate. I think somewhere around the $200 mark might be expected, if not a bit more. Hopefully someone else chimes in because that's as close a guess as I'm capable of.
>>
File: spider.png (2 MB, 1239x943) Image search: [Google]
spider.png
2 MB, 1239x943
>>2401935
Figure I clip a few pieces of the character I'd want it done with too

Spider Jerusalem, of Transmetropolitan

Someone else might be a fan too idk

Been using his faces from the first issues of it as avatars for long ages, mostly because the resemblance is uncanny I swear

Anyway the potential for a wicked cool fusion should be immediately visible, and if I got an estimate of $200 from someone doing this kinda art - might even begin getting myself warmed up to the idea of blowing that much on becoming a patron of the arts

They'll probably charge extra for beard physics
>>
>>2401976
>They'll probably charge extra for beard physics

I know you're kind of joking but that would doubtlessly increase the hypothetical price by quite a bit, dude. Most of the actual animation in the real .gif apart from the lighting (which is nonetheless very complex by itself) is "just off screen". Add a beard into the mix and shit gets real wacky, real quick. They will no longer be able to use the .gif as much of a reference and will have to estimate similar lighting on a flailing, prominently displayed beard.
>>
>>2401989
The requirements can always shift

Long as it feels like the real deal in the end, the artist isn't starving and I don't feel robbed

It's all up to the artist and finding the right one anyway. Nothing happens without that guy
>>
>>2401994
dude make sure you let us know where this is going to be once its finished. this sounds ridiculously good if it goes through
>>
200$? no way hombre. I think if you find someone who agrees to do it for 200$ you'll be hiring someone waaay overconfident who will no doubt underdeliver. He'll try and try and work his ass off, until eventually just admit defeat, half ass it, and send you something shitty just to put the gig to closure. I'm confident I could do this, including awesome wiggling beard physics, and I would probably expect to work on it full time for 3-4 days. At 125$ per day, which is what I try to aim for to end up making 2.5k when I work 20 of 30 days per month, I'd charge you 375-500$, so let's take the median and say I'd charge 450$. I'm sure there's people who would do it for 300$ and do just as good a job as me though. I just avoid getting work that pays below a certain rate unless I need to.
>>
>>2403384
Yeah I don't think he can get someone good and professional (by which I mean getting things done on time and communicative) for less than $400. It might be possible for his idea to come through by way of AfterEffects but that means he has an even harder time of finding someone who can do what he wants (even if it might be a little easier). Tumblr aside consider contacting an illustration agency (illustrators have agents yeah), they should be able to provide a list of capable artists and if not the artists may be inclined to help a colleague by throwing you their way. This is probably your best shot.

It seems just the sort of think Robert Valley is good at. Not sure if he does commissions and he probably isn't cheap but he might be good for it. His animation is done primarily in Photoshop by way of transformation tools so it may actually end up less expensive than having all the lighting effects animated. Check out his animation work on Wonder Woman, Pear and Cigarettes, and design for Tron.
>>
>>2401904
Source on gif? Looks dope
>>
>>2403919
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6maVVFs0As
>>
>>2401935
>$200
Lmao for something like pic related? You're fucking retarded
>>
>>2403986
That feeling when the keyframer for that shot was most likely paid in the 4000 yen range.
2000 for layout 2000 for key, 200*15 for in between, 150*15 for paint, and I have no idea how much for compositing.
Wondering why the fuck am I posting this on a thread in /ic/: priceless
>>
>>2404116
4000 yen = $35USD

Sooo, your point is someone should do this for $200 usd because...in japan they make $40?

Seems legit.
>>
>>2404126
That wasn't me, my $200 assessment was based off of the fact that there is little actual motion and the lighting is repeated for quite a few frames as well (open the file in photoshop). Once the likeness is captured (something any decent artist could do in a matter of minutes) it'd basically be a 'paint by numbers' kind of thing. I didn't know the guy had a fucking beard, though, and clean up of what little motion there is would probably take a while. It was just a quick guess tbhfam
>>
Are you still here OP?
>>
>>2404126
I didn't have a point beyond the fact that animators are paid like shit in Japan. I found the difference in the standard rate funny.
>>
>character has absurd squiggly beard and hair for like 5 minutes
>spends the rest of the comic bald as a baby
>"nah I wanna animoot the beard!"

What did your money ever do to you, OP?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.