[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
there are 4 stages an artist constantly lives in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: art block pepe.jpg (66 KB, 532x700) Image search: [Google]
art block pepe.jpg
66 KB, 532x700
The pepe attached is the first thing I've drawn in a while, traditional with boosted contrast on pencil lines.

>Be me
>Browsing 4chan like my inner autist says to
>I suddenly am infused with the knowledge to the universe
>I am omniscient
>fuck yeah
>there are 4 stages that an artist has and randomly flip flops between
>1-the ‘God’ phase, they are fucking animals with a pencil, sees a leaf or pebble and instantly knows exactly what the need to paint, and they need to paint it now often those in stage 1 will abandon other things so they can get rid of the inspiration at the forefront of their minds
>2-the ‘Meh’ phase people need to actively seek out inspiration, or just draws random doodles and connect the doodles to make a drawing easily. Is the most common state an artist resides in, and will be able to wait for days to draw a final piece
>3-the ‘blocked’ stage, a terrible, but quickly over come stage that involves a lot of moping and time that is wasted not making art. doesn’t seek inspiration, or has tried it but it failed. the third phase it usually brought on by self pity, and feels of inferiority after seeing god tier art by others.
>4-the ‘Dead’ stage. it’s a mix of the above three. people infected with this parasitic bullshit think they are in stage three with occasional bouts of one and two. They feel inspired mentally, but they are in an illusion. They cannot function normally, and often have to mask the true feelings of pain that they feel when they know they are incapable at that moment of making art. No one knows how this is started or ended, people just realize one day that they are out of their funk, or are balls deep in the stage without realizing it.
>am in phase four, have been for a while now

Does anyone else think this is accurate? Anyone else going through 4, or do I just suck at creativity?
being creative is part of my identity here. I am losing who I am.
what do?
>>
File: 1410362784028.png (459 KB, 664x605) Image search: [Google]
1410362784028.png
459 KB, 664x605
I know what you mean Anon, and by your list I am in stage 4 as well, and have been for a long time.

It is possibly because of my depression and other factors, and the inferiority thing you mentioned is a major thing.

This is my only solution so far: Force it. Force yourself to draw. Pick up the pencil and do it laying in bed crying if you have to but you fucking do it.

Can't think of anything? pick a random thing you suck at and draw it. Pick a favorite artist and study some of their work. Doodle a character from whatever media your watching/reading/playing. Force it.

I don't know if anything I say will help, in fact it's pretty cliche. But it's the only thing I can do that has made me draw, and it took time to even get the point where I could make myself try.

I wish the best for you and hope you keep going with your artwork.
>>
>>2399011
Thanks anon, nice dubs by the way. I just wish there was an easy way out of this. Best wishes on escaping stage 4
>>
Kinda agreee... though i think stage 4 is recoverable. I was in it for a long time. Felt like my work was always shit. Mad that the only way I could make it as an artist if i did get good was to sell out, or sell to rich fuck I don't care about.

flash forward 2 years, still in shitty job. Smoking tons of weed to cope. Something finally snapped in me. Locked my weed up until i do 50 quality drawings. Back into it, Lost a lot of skill, so have to start back with the basics. But fuck man. I beats not doing it.
>>
>>2398992
hang yourself my man
>>
Inspiration never just comes to you, you need to go seek it. Go out, walk and absorb everything around you, realise that there's so much to the world, find things that interest you and take inspiration from that.
>>
Stage 3.

For me, turns out it was a manifestation of clinical depression. I find joy in basically nothing. I force myself to draw as much as I force myself to do anything.

I need help
>>
>>2398992
Everyone knows there are 47 stages, with 5 potential deviations , and 9 (or possibly 11) theoretical stages which necessarily exist as a byproduct of stages 34-45 (except no.39, obviously).
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.