[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ic/, what tips do you have for blending with a Photoshop hard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: hardroundjesus.jpg (56 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
hardroundjesus.jpg
56 KB, 1600x1600
/ic/, what tips do you have for blending with a Photoshop hard round brush? Particularly in as few strokes as possible, and without leaving a shitton of overlapping muddy strokes.

If you don't have tips, let's make this into a challenge for ourselves. Try to make a reasonably rendered sketch using a hard round while abiding by the constraints below:

No blending modes, no more than one layer, no size jitter, flow and opacity only, non-pressure flow and opacity at 100%, spacing at 25%, hardness at 100%. No eraser. White BG.
>>
And before anyone gets on my ass while ranting about how digital shouldn't be treated as traditional, stop trying to act superior, blah blah, this really isn't about that at all.

I want to improve my skills, particularly to develop the ability to do more with less. No condescension, just want to improve my fundamentals and simply be better. If any of you anons have advice, it'd be much appreciated.

If you guys want an example of what I'm on about, Anthony Jones' "Alleb" and "Jas" videos kinda get the point when smudge brush isnt introduced (inb4 someone brings up another Jones shitstorm)
>>
>>2391074

shove your constraints up your asshole faggot

you wanna learn how to blend in ps or how to eat soup with chopsticks?
>>
>>2391088
Easy there, commando. It's just a challenge. Don't let it scare you too badly, now.
>>
Smudge tool
>>
File: tumblr_nkpu3ksLmq1rhxw7jo1_500.gif (718 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkpu3ksLmq1rhxw7jo1_500.gif
718 KB, 500x315
>>2391093
>I want to improve my skills, particularly to develop the ability to do more with less
>I don't want to use all of the features ps has to offer that would allow me to do more with less
>>
>>2391110
Look at it like trying to improve your ability to create a gradient in graphite without introducing your finger or a blending stick into the process. Photoshop's features are great and I use them all the time. Now I want to see if I can improve how I manage without them. Nothing mindblowing here.
>>
desu literally just bring your flow down to like 10 and you're good

or use sai
>>
>>2391126
Thanks, I usually don't take my flow down that low. Typically I keep my pen at like 40-50% pressure by habit.
>>
>>2391104
+ scattering enabled

This is basically a poor man's SAI water tool and even so I don't use it that much

idk if I'm misunderstanding OP but what I usually do for blending is sto simply lay down my strokes and use the eye dropper tool to create intermediate values and lay down more strokes.
>>
>>2391074
color picker
>>
>>2391134
No, you've got my gist. This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for, settings and techniques.

When you lay down those strokes after eyedropping the new value, do you find yourself laying in your strokes more towards your shadows or your lights? Trying my own weirdass challenge, I'm finding that painting towards shadow is smoother but fucks my form by destroying any sense of a terminator. Painting towards lights just makes it look muddy.
>>
File: trumperino.png (953 KB, 1913x2476) Image search: [Google]
trumperino.png
953 KB, 1913x2476
Here's my quick and phenomenally shitty attempt. If I'm gonna ridicule myself, might as well be all the way.

Here hopefully you guys can see what I'm trying to do, albeit unsuccessfully. I want to paint and construct in a way that ensures that there is as little muddiness as is doable.
>>
>>2391237
Yeh i see what you mean and in response to that I'm going to recommend that you git gud
>>
>>2391273
Thenks cooch il git as gud as i can
>>
ONE BRUSH SIZE
NO LAYERS
FINAL PSD
>>
>painting with a mouse

get a feel of how traditional painting works with opacity, stroke, pressure, layer, etc. and you'll appreciate how digital can replicate that more. do not be afraid of tinkering with the brush settings.
>>
>>2392065
Ha, basically. I know it sounds stupid (and how low of a tolerance this place has for stupid), but if it can force me to develop better understanding of value and gain better motor control, I'm down.

>>2392079
This is valuable, thank you. Let's see what I can manage with slightly different settings each time.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.