[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pencil type
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: PencilGradingChart.png (68 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
PencilGradingChart.png
68 KB, 350x400
What kind of pencil do you use for drawing?
When do you decide to switch it up?

I currently use a 3B pencil
>>
>>
File: Evening Drawing.jpg (99 KB, 440x700) Image search: [Google]
Evening Drawing.jpg
99 KB, 440x700
For A4 drawings I tend to use 2B for most of the drawing and something like an H or 2H to draw details in the light-shape. I used to use a 4B for my general drawing but it doesn't give the same kind of sharp push as the 2B does. If I'm working larger than A4 then I might use something softer to start with.

I tend to work really light at first and slowly build up definition throughout the drawing. I try and focus on separating the light and shadow shape, using a softer pencil for the shadow shape and a harder one for the light shape helps with that. I've been messing with finding a middle ground where I can work in a very visual manner while still pushing form and structure. This is why I separate my light and shadow shape so clearly. I basically flatten everything that is in shadow and that puts more pressure on my light shape to carry the drawing.

Here's an example of one of my life drawings using this combination.
>>
>>2384749
Mostly 2B; there's nothing nicer than a freshly sharpened 2B pencil, imo. I'll start with that, and use a 4B and 6B when I need to get down to darker values, because as much as I like starting with 2B, it doesn't get dark enough to finish the job. I don't really use anything other than those three. I've tried using some H pencils for lighter stuff but I hate they way they feel.
>>
>>2384855
This exactly
>>
6B on almost anything, I usually work on larger formats. I didn't really try switching for a longer time.
>>
2B HB and 2H, the thing is with 2H pencils they last a longgg time but if you put too much pressure on the paper it digs into the paper too much which fucks your drawing up
>>
2H for light construction.
2H and 2B for main drawing.
6B for darker values unattainable by 2B.
>>
H for fineline detailed work.
HB later on to add darker values.
>>
あぬんべr2もstおfてぇ地目案dあ6b
>>
>>2384749
6h, 4h, b, now im using mainly hb
>>
Mostly a .5 mechanical pencil.

Using charcoal feels awesome specially the one that is like chalk but it's so very messy
>>
>>2384749
i had a pretty ghetto rigged setup but then i bought a beginner pack of pencils from 2h to 8b and i started trying to use all of them in my drawings going from light to dark because i was always confused and thought thats what you were supposed to do but before i just didnt give a fuck and used whatever pencil was closest to me (not really but you get the picture) i think it was a good learning experience to try both methods and in the future i will try to find a happy medium and just use what feels right without wasting time with unnecessary steps while still paying more attention than i used to. That pretty much sums up my struggles with proggressing as an artist in a nutshell. i dont know how to go about things but i dont want to just copy someone elses solution to every problem i have and become limited by someones else way of thinking. i guess the same solution rings true in this case: ive tried it my way now i should try a bunch of other people's methods and hopefully end up somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>2384749
I use pen size 0.1 - 0.8 depending on what I need . With pens, your mistakes are more permanent which allows you to think before drawing.
>>
HB for simplicity sake. Used to use F and 4b.
>>
9B
>>
HB for construction/under-drawing. 2B, 4B, 6B for values.
>>
>>2384749
I thought that using H pencils would make for good sketching because they're lighter, but hell, they're difficult as fuck to erase. They\re basically for construction workers or something.

I only use HBs and Bs. When sharpened, they're almost like a pen.
>>
>>2384749
2B & 2H

As others said 2B is extremely satisfying, I wish they'd last as long as the 2H.

I have a HB but I find it shit.
>>
>not using 9h so people can't see what you're drawing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.