[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drawing on the right side of the brain.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: dotrsotb.jpg (123 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
dotrsotb.jpg
123 KB, 600x400
>not owning three different editions of this great book

Its like you don't even want to learn anon...

Here, for you anon.

https://neoalchemist.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/edwards-the-new-drawing-on-the-right-side-of-the-brain-viny.pdf
>>
>>2382700
>reading memeside of the brain past 1st chapter
>>
This >>2382705
>>
>>2382705
>recommended on the first page of the sticky
>teaches what the symbol system is and why it hinders art
>gives you methods and strategies for controlling and rising above symbol drawing
>helps you learn to "see" things in shapes and values which makes it easier to draw.

>calls it a meme...

riiiight anon.... sure its a meme.
Perhaps it's time you read the sticky.

I bet you even ridicule all the beginner art on this forum by pointing out the symbol drawing...
>>
>>2382737

Motherbitch I was literally here when /ic/ made the sticky--I pitched in on that shit. The sticky is nothing more than anon's recommendations not some ten commandments some pro made.
>>
>>2382742
>it's a meme
>I helped make the sticky

Can't have it both ways anon, either is recommended because it's useful, or its useless because it's a just a meme

No one claimed it would make you a pro, but it WILL help beginners, so it has utility, so if you can't be more helpful, just move along.
>>
File: 1454642250846.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454642250846.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>2382745

Oh it's useful alright. Useful to waste the competitions time with scientific meme babble.
>no one claimed it will make you a pro
I didn't mention that? Reading comprehension or you need to get breakfast.
>but it WILL help beginners
yeah, chapter 1 will open their eyes. Then they put the book down and read keys to drawing.
>so if you can't be more helpful, just move along
OP wasn't even asking for help...are you alright, anon?
>>
That book sucks. Don't believe me, then read it yourself and tell me what you learned.
>>
>>2382752
Anon did try to imply that op suhgested that reading the sticky would make them into a pro when op clearly didn't make that claim. Just saying.
>>
There seem to be much controversy about this book. Could anyone recommend better beginner ones?

ITS SEEMS WE CANNOT TRUST THE STICKY
>>
>trusting the sticky
You deserve to waste your time on meme books.
>>
it's meme, don't fall for this
>>
>>2382768

Sticky has half good things half bad, or rather its biggest problem is that it doesn't explain things well. Also you have to read it CAREFULLY, which people apparently don't.

In sticky you will read that "Drawing on the Rig(..)" has good exercises and is very good, but you should skip the pseudo-scientific text.

/ic/ will generally agree with that, but will say - why bother? If you have better things like "Keys to Drawings" by Dodson.

You will see Loomis recommended in sticky and "Fun with Pencil" in there, but /ic/ will tell you "Fun with Pencil" is garbage because it was first book Loomi wrote and he couldn't do it properly back then.

/ic/ will refer you to 5 minute fun Proko video that is based on Loomis drawing heads method AND THEN refer you straight to "Drawing Heads & Hands" and skimming through text (which is hard to chew because Loomis can't get straight to the point).

You can trust sticky, but seriously, you have to think. Scott Robertson is awesome, but good luck spending time drawing things with complicated constructions that every engineering student (like me) can do in 5 minutes in every CAD program with simple rectangle -> extrude -> chamfer -> chamfer -> fillet -> fillet.

Start simple and then you can branch. Peter Han exercises with lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk

And drawabox:

http://drawabox.com/

plus Proko:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

To grasp concepts quickly. Grasping concepts isn't even the beginning, you have to draw.

"Keys to Drawing" by Dodson - straight up no bullshit. He tells you to grab your pen now and draw your hand or object on your table. That's it and you need that approach. Life drawing. Referencing stuff IRL (no other drawings and no, try to minimize photos too), breaking it down to simple shapes (in all things above are mentioned of those dreaded cyllinders, spheres, rectangles).

Then you can try anatomy, again, starting with Proko, but also with other books, Vilppu etc.
>>
>>2382737
The first edition of that book was good, but the second and third just evolved into pseudoscience garbaggle, keys to drawing is the best beginner book now, I wouldn't recommend drawing for the right side of brain for anyone anymore.
>>
>>2382791
>>2382768

And hell, you know what, lately I have been outside and I just went to the "art" section of book store and skimmed through it and guess what - you can find good resources there not listed here too. You just have not to be afraid to spend 25 EUR on big, colourful book filled with high-res photos of naked people in poses and with copy-paper drawing overlay pages in between.

Seriously, first act and then direct yourself towards what you want to do.
>>
File: 71BxAWR9U2L[1].jpg (208 KB, 1140x1378) Image search: [Google]
71BxAWR9U2L[1].jpg
208 KB, 1140x1378
>>2382700
>great book
You mean pseudo-science garbage?

Betty Edwards is actually good are designed exercises to help people learn but her research is fucking garbage. Color is even worse.
>>
Honest question.

If I literally traced naked girls 100 times would I git gud or at least get better?
>>
>>2382855

You'll get better at wasting your time.
>>
>>2382700
>ctrl+f pseudo
errytiem
>>
I've always get that keys by Bert is better. It gives you the same info/exercises but without the scientific bullshit and the viewfinder bullshit.
>>
>>2382700

Shit tier book almost as bad as drawing like a boss
>>
File: SHIT.png (3 MB, 1232x1231) Image search: [Google]
SHIT.png
3 MB, 1232x1231
DONT FALL FOR THIS SCAM LIKE I DID!
ITS MOSTLY A MENTALLY ILL WOMAN TALKING ABOUT BULLSHIT NOT RELATED TO DRAWING

The book has some good tutorials but her pshycotic ramblings between the lines really distract you from what actually matters.
Keys To Drawing by Bert Dodson is a much better book and i wish i bought that to begin with instead.
>>
>>2383158

You dummy! You could have donated that glorious book to a library so others can read its contents!
>>
Buying a beginner beginner book
Once you read through the book you will NEVER need to read it again. There is no reason to buy it
You buy books that you will always refer back to and can put on your shelf

Besides Right Side is like 90% psuedoscience junk If I saw 3 editions of the bo on your shelf I would personally burn down your house and eat your dog
>>
The book isn't as bad as people on this thread are saying. It's true that the book does contain a lot of seemingly scientific stuff that may or may not be real, and gets into some stuff that is silly and completely unrelated to drawing, like when there are several paragraphs about historical bias against left handedness. That's all fair, but there are a lot of things the book gets right.

What people don't seem to realize is that this book is NOT a book for teaching you to draw, its a book to teach you how to ignore what you see and draw what's there. That is an important skill, but once you have that skill the book is unnecessary. If you 'get it' after the first couple chapters, great, move on to a better book! If not, there are exercises in the following chapters that help you learn how.

Anon is right that you probably only need to read it once, as the information it gives you will stick with you throughout the rest of your artistic career. Notice how a lot of the anons who dis the book in this thread must have read it themselves, they might think it didn't help since it didn't teach them anything about drawing, but they are applying the lessons of the book well if they are no longer drawing from symbols in the same way.
>>
>>2383158

>claims author is mentally ill
>writes angrily in all caps
>posts edgy pic of book with knife and destroyed front cover
>projecting this much

Forgot to take your meds again, anon?
>>
This book is stupid, there's literally a section on signatures. It's way, way too much text and not enough of just getting to the point. This book should be 1/10 of the size if not more. She's primarily ranting about psuedo-science left/right brain shit that doesn't really matter.

The sections people say are "good" are informative but you could've learned that shit from better sources. Negative space, grid drawing, contouring, blind contouring, drawing upside down wowowowowwwwooowww dude so worth readingg through all that shit. Matt Kohr goes through most of that shit on his website and for what isn't can be easily explained. Drawing upside down is drawing something upside down, blind contouring is drawing without looking at your page both of which aren't really all that effective. Grid drawing isn't that useful either.

If you're gonna read this, just skim through it and learn the parts that matter. But even then there's better books you could be reading including Barrington Barber's stuff for beginners.
>>
>>2383466

I'm interested to hear your thought on Barber's book. The one called fundamentals of drawing if you had/have one. I'm planning to order it, with another from rudy de reyna.

Those will be my first two physical art books I'll own.
>>
Goddamn I fell for the meme, this book fucking sucks. I can understand that maybe it'll help people who don't know what symbol drawing is, but come on, that should be specified in the sticky instead of telling people "oh, start here, there may be some pseudo-wobba-lobba but its great!"
>>
>>2382700
Seems a lot of artists in this thread don't realize that this book is for absolute beginners and made the mistake of reading it when they felt they were intermediate or better. They seem a bit salty. Take the good stuff from it, leave the rest.
>>
Book is good. I feel like a lot of people are frustrated because they didn't "get" certain parts of it. The woman has been an art teacher and even has evidence of how good her 5-day course was with before and afters of students. Her pseudo science is just as credible as any of the soft sciences.
>>
File: Beginner Eyes vs Brains.jpg (1 MB, 1271x7339) Image search: [Google]
Beginner Eyes vs Brains.jpg
1 MB, 1271x7339
>>2382700
>>
File: beginner eye part 2.jpg (325 KB, 718x1041) Image search: [Google]
beginner eye part 2.jpg
325 KB, 718x1041
>>2382700
I guess im done, 2 images is all it took to save 10 hours.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.