[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art college and is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 132.jpg (71 KB, 780x342) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
71 KB, 780x342
So I've seen this question asked here plenty of times but is it? I'm just out of hs and I'd appreciate knowing the pros and cons
>>
So my personal opinion is that between attending art collage and self teaching, self teaching is definitely better if you are smart about it.
Between self teaching and attending a good atelier program, atelier programs win out by a long shot.
The Atelier programs I can recommend are The Florence Academy of Art, Angel Academy, Swedish Academy of Realistic Art and The Repin Academy. I attend one of these and have frequent contact with students at the others, they all have have good instructors and produce highly skilled students. If you want to learn how to properly draw and paint, you won't find any better places however if you maybe want to do animation or concept art, you'd either need to self teach those specific skills or find some place that teaches that specifically.
>>
>>2384726

what about the people who wants to teach art? they really need a college degree?
>>
>>2384678
Art college is worth it if you won't destroy your life with debt

But they won't necessarily teach you techniques
I went to one in London and it was the best time of my life I loved it

I studied sculpture but if I could go back in time I'd do illustration.
>>
>>2384726
ateliers teach you to trace.they are not like what they used to be decades ago
>>
>>2384735
Depends on where you want to teach. Want to teach classical/academic drawing/painting? Then you probably need an atelier education and wouldn't be able to teach there with a college degree (these places really don't care about what degree you have, they more care about how good you are as an artist and as a teacher). Most ateliers require their instructors to be working artists that only teach part time and they often hire former students because they know the style of education that is to be taught there.

Want to teach in collage? well yeah, you probably need a collage education. I'm not too up to date on how you become a "normal" art teacher but I think most places will want you to have gone to college.
>>
>>2384753
The fuck you talking about? Name one atelier that does this. The Florence Academy? Nope they don't. The Repin Academy? Nope they don't. Angel Academy? Nope they don't, Russian Academy? Nope they don't. Barcelona Atelier? Nope they don't.

Seriously anon, maybe you could ask a student at any of the top ateliers and see if they trace, because I'm fairly sure they don't. How do I know this? Because I'm a student at one of them -.-
>>
>>2384678
Simply put,
NO.
>>
>>2384757
i wish i could teach in collage
>>
>>2384678
If you have money set aside for college or can get a scholarship, it's definitely worth it.

If you have to take out massive student loans, don't bother.

/thread
>>
>>2384735
Yes, if you want to teach at a university you'll need an MFA.
>>
>>2384822
source: 4chan told me so
>>
>>2385075
https://youtu.be/ruEaANXuFbc
>>
>>2384748
actually work in that?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.