[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, everytime I try and buckle down and really get fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: ysmbyi.png (56 KB, 158x150) Image search: [Google]
ysmbyi.png
56 KB, 158x150
Alright, everytime I try and buckle down and really get fucking good, I always feel over whelmed by all the books and such. Even if I just try and read Fun With a Pencil I still am confused on where to start. How do you guys read art books? Do I just read everything and try to replicate something? Am I missing something? Am I prime autismo?
>>
It's a source of knowledge

>draw thing
>hey my drawing doesn't look right
>conclude that I need to learn how to draw anatomy properly
>open anatomy book
>"this muscle connects here and here and it looks like this"
>okay now I get it
>draw better

I really don't see what you're having trouble with
>>
>>2377727
yeah it's hard to explain I guess but what I mean is I'm trying to just focus on finishing Fun With a Pencil, but I don't know how to approach the book. The book doesn't really tell the reader when to follow along so I don't know what exercises I'm supposed to be doing. Like there's a whole page on baby faces before the pages that explain the basic head shape. Am I missing something?
>>
>>2377732

>Fun with Pencil

You fell for the ebin menes. If you must do Loomis, start with "Drawing Heads & Hands". "Fun with Pencil" was his first book and he didn't know how to write back then. Well, later he also didn't know how to write, but it was better.

Also it's fucking 2 0 1 6, come on! You have youtube and Proko videos that can give you Loomis knowledge handed in easy and fun format in like 10 minutes or so, so you can grasp a concept immediately instead of wandering "wtf did he write in those 4 pages of musings?".

Also drawabox and "Keys to Drawing".

Man, fundamental thing - if one source doesn't work for you, try something else. Do you really think you can learn gesture only from special artistic photoshoots? You can as easily download sports videos in HD and draw frames.
>>
>>2377732
>>2377765
Yeah fun with a pencil is pretty much a meme
I am so sick of seeing beginners posting their shitty attempts at drawing blooks
Just read head and hands it's much better
>>
File: fedora.jpg (25 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
25 KB, 600x750
>mfw I had a beginner try multiple different things and their drawings from FWAP were better than anything else they did before or after

It really must depend on the person. I personally enjoyed FWAP as well. The book is kind of silly, but the concepts it introduces the reader to are essential.
>>
>>2377790

The idea of fun with a pencil is "basic shapes and forms for complete retards"

The problem is people just end up copying the lines of his stupid cartoon faces and completely miss the point.
>>
File: blookbutt.jpg (229 KB, 1451x571) Image search: [Google]
blookbutt.jpg
229 KB, 1451x571
>>2377858
>The problem is people just end up copying the lines of his stupid cartoon faces and completely miss the point.

A phenomenon I've observed myself and personally find bizarre because he basically explains this very simple concept in a completely unambiguous way early in the book.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.