[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QUESTION THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
File: Question_mark.png (35 KB, 749x946) Image search: [Google]
Question_mark.png
35 KB, 749x946
Old thread
>>2338731

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/4YDuzW77 (needs updated)

ok im just fucking lazy, ill try to get something done before dragons dogma comes out. cant make promises though, still have very little idea about what update needed means, i want to get dragon up and going, and for that i need the computer parts to work, but some fuck up with them makes them not work even though they are all individually working... bit annoying of an issue.
>>
>>2346466
medical literature, anatomy for artists, 3d programs with models you can peel apart piece by piece.

>>2346475
from what i remember the cranium is a sphere, or is simplified to a sphere, no matter what the angle is at.

>>2346476
im assuming these are examples of shit to add to the pastebin...
if i had to say anything, charcoal is easier to work with due to how it wants to smudge than chalk, though style of charcoal differs.

how do they transfer shit, depends on the time and what was available to them, many artists tend to use a method of projecting onto a scene, forget what it was called, or if they already had a drawing, grid the shit out.

as for cross hatching, look up etchers, they had some of the most sophisticated crosshatching you can find, everything else is just a simplification of this base on time constraints, needs or skill.

anything else you are on your own, the hatching and blowing up an image will likely get a note in the next bin iteration though, everything else has either never been asked or to specific/out of my realm of ill stand by it.

>>2346498
always thing while you do anything, tracing will help you understand why an artist made a line here, why this is the way it is, blaa blaa blaa, never mindlessly do anything.

>>2346590
for this specific book yea, most of the text is horse shit, the exercises are what people mention the book for anymore.

>>2346509
draw similar realistic shit, hell worst case scenario look up how a borge plate is to be done and try doing those.

>>2346584
that's honestly not bad, most 16 to 17 year olds work looks like shit and is doodles at best, usually angst ridden. granted looking at the people who were in independent arts paintings, some of them were good enough to sell... and some of them were autism levels because the good art teacher left and a bad one stepped in and did not reign in people autism.
>>
File: 1451801816251.png (9 KB, 426x364) Image search: [Google]
1451801816251.png
9 KB, 426x364
how do I get more mental energy?
I want to finish a study fully but I can only finish half
I want to be a paintfag too
>>
>>2348535
click on their shit and look at it closer, it looks allot less impressive zoomed on than in tiny thumbnails.

just judging on the colors he chooses when he works from imagination, he may be color picking the studies rather than choosing the color himself.

>>2347370
cranium, gesture, construct on top, all the while fixing shit where needed.

you don't so much as mindlessly copy references, you construct them with your own knowledge and when you have a hang up you look at your fucking refrence and find out what that hang up is and learn.

>>2347426
what marker type is it?

>>2348201
down them all with a script.
4chan x will expand all and you save them individually by drag and drop.

>>2347854
examples of this?

>>2347897
major forms first, than minor forms.

>>2348170
female body builders are really good, you dont have the roid muscles that makes get and they are cut more than most non steroid abusing males.

>>2348538
because alot of people who suck rip on people who are good but not great. than you have the people who only hate someone who has a job because they are making money... generally its closer to a put up or shut up kind of mentality.

>>2348689
use the tablet as a mouse? i have mine plugged in 24/7 even though i use it once in a blue moon with the mouse also in, but when i'm using the tablet, unless something is worlds easier with the mouse, i only use the tablet.
>>
>>2349135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
>>
File: 785785785785.jpg (79 KB, 520x751) Image search: [Google]
785785785785.jpg
79 KB, 520x751
how this does works?
i have to draw it until it is a perfect copy?
>>
should I worry about the amount of time I take on a piece?
it rarely takes me more than 1 day to finish something fully, usually more than that
but not something crazy like a week
>>
How do people generally simplify the waist?
>>
Does anyone have the Peter Han Dynamic Sketching course? Can't seem to find a (non-CGP) torrent of it or the downloads are abysmally slow.
>>
Have they taken off shoolism classes off CGP? I remember there being some before
>>
>>2349143
Draw it until you understand how it fucking works.
>>
Where/ what thread would I go to that would get someone to draw me?

I don't want to shit up the wrong thread.
>>
>>2349145
No need to worry about that just yet. The time you take making something gets shorter and shorter the more you get better.
>>
Anybody has that reference picture of an old (maybe sheperd) guy with a badass mad max loogk, glasses and pretty torn up clothes. He's leaning on a rock and has a leg up.
>>
>>2349187
>>/soc/
>>
File: 3642329_orig.jpg (245 KB, 1091x732) Image search: [Google]
3642329_orig.jpg
245 KB, 1091x732
Every time I read about perspective, all examples contain nothing but parallel objects like in pic related. If I decided to take one of those buildings and tilt it horizontally, would it start having its own vanish point? Do non-parallel objects have their own vanishing points or are they absolute to all objects? Are vanishing points tied to the scene or to individual objects?
>>
>>2349555

Yes, things that aren't on parallel lines have their own vanishing points, along the same horizon line.
>>
I have plenty of great figure reference images, but just about zero good landscape refs. Anyone know of a good source for landscape refs?
>>
>>2349615
mapcrunch.com
>>
>>2349640
>mapcrunch
>good refs

Pick one.
>>
>>2349650
well, aren't we picky?
>>
So if I draw more than 5 random things a day, look at what I'm doing right and wrong, read some books, and repeat this then I should get better at drawing right?
>>
File: 011216 freebs resize.png (773 KB, 1440x1200) Image search: [Google]
011216 freebs resize.png
773 KB, 1440x1200
How do i add perspective to my figures?
>>
Has anyone actually used one of these without wanting to throw it in the trash? I was stupid enough to buy one when I was starting out and I haven't found a single use for it. Whenever I actually have trouble visualizing a post the articulation is so trash that it doesn't help at all.

Furthermore, what's up with the lack of good software for drawing mannekins? You'd think they'd be in pretty high demand but googling it doesn't turn up shit.
>>
>>2349079
Does anybody have any tips for drawing lips?
>>
>>2349684
Boosting.
>>
>>2349821
>>
I'm starting on learning the very basics of gesture drawing and everything I'm doing so far looks like shit. Should I just keep drawing gesture after gesture? I've heard that in a typical session you're supposed to do alot
>>
>>2350099
where's your gestures? Looks like shit in what way.
>>
File: gesture ref.png (361 KB, 788x1080) Image search: [Google]
gesture ref.png
361 KB, 788x1080
>>2350114
i'm gonna post the drawing from my phone but here's the reference I used
>>
>>2349143
its mostly an exercise to make you understand what symbol drawing was when you still have no idea.

>>2349190
>>2349145
depends on how good you are, if you are bad, you lean more through repetition and finishing a piece is slowing you down significantly.

>>2349163
they generally draw the ribs as a box, waste as a sphere and pelvis as a box, sometimes they draw the rib and pelvis area overlapping the sphere area about 1/4th the way.

>>2349172
if i remember right, people said the only part worth talking about was the 2 exercise videos, which should both be on youtube, though may be hidden.

>>2349178
yes, it did get taken off, i dont know if it was part of a being friendly with the people who did the group buy and wanted no part of it being distributed, or if it was schoolism telling them to knock the shit off.

>>2349680
possibly not the fastest but yea.

>>2349684
i assume you know how to drop a box and shit into 1 2 and 3 point correct? if you cant, start there, if you can, pick eye level and draw it from there.

>>2349818
you get what you pay for, you spend less than 20$ on a manikin, but expect something like http://dolk.jp/s.f.b.t/en/

>>2350099
you do a lot because gestures are between 30 seconds to a minute.
>>
File: image.jpg (267 KB, 1211x1615) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267 KB, 1211x1615
>>2350114
And this is how things are looking, I tried to aim for 2 minutes went a little over.
>>
>>2350128
Oh I am laffin.

You have a long what to go count famula
>>
>>2350129
*long WAY

God dammit!
>>
>>2350129
>>2350131
I'm ok with that though it'll be hard work but I don't mind it's worth it. I really want to have good fundamentals
>>
Does anyone know a book/tutorial/video that goes through rendering outlines and details based off geometric shapes? I can only draw simple geometric shapes for my life and don't know how to turn shapes into actual objects.(I'm going through Perspective Made Easy right now and I can't do the complicated exercises... only the geometric shapes.)
>>
I'm a thin and unathletic beginner. One hour of drawing shouldn't cause muscle and joint pain the next day, right? Is there a guide telling me where my tablet should be in relation to my shoulder/elbow, what angle it should be at, wether I should keep my elbow at my torso or push it out etc.? I've been at this almost a year and no matter what I try, I regularly wake up with a pain that's new and suprising. I just don't know what to do anymore. Help.
>>
I don't know what to draw. It's not that I have a lack of ideas, it's that I have too many to choose from. I want to use my time wisely so I can learn but also get attention from my work.
>>
>>2350168
8 years experience Buffwrist here. Shoulder to elbow to wrist is all aligned straight forward. Elbow is a few inches in front of waist. Elbow angle is about 110deg. Bottom of tablet is placed on desk right under chin, but to the right.

I actually use my tablet pen instead of a mouse for all computer tasks, so I've basically been 'drawing' (in the sense of body strain) for 8h a day 8 years straight. The only kind of strain I ever get is if I use the buttons on my pen a bunch. My thumb will hurt, then I switch to forefinger, then middle...
>>
>>2350213
Thanks so much for the response. Please indulge some of my incredibly ignorant follow-up questions
In the position you described, where are your palm/pentip in relation to the corners of the (active area of the) tablet?
If from that position I want to make a line straight to the left, I rotate my elbow counter-clockwise away from my body, about a quarter turn. If I want to make a line straight to the right, my elbow stays at the same distance from the edge of my desk and moves up to the right, away from the floor and my body. Am I doing this wrong?
When you draw a line straight down, how close does your elbow get to the backrest at the lowest point of the tablet?
In the neutral position, are your forearm, thigh and floor/desk all parallel to each other or should my wrist be closer to the floor than my elbow is?
How much distance is between the top of your thigh and the bottom of your desk?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (58 KB, 551x520) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
58 KB, 551x520
>>2350255
llllllol

my palm and pentip go wherever. uh but the measurements i cited are with pentip at center of tablet. i have it set up so that the tablet surface is 1:1 with my screens. thus, keeping my arm straight, my elbow moves along with my hand and cursor position.

inevitably, when drawing long straight lines or long smooth curves, certain angles are more natural than others. i find i need to turn my elbow in and out for diagonal downward strokes. this would be solved by turning the paper irl or the canvas if i had better software.

8 inches from thigh to desk. desk is tilted slightly

elbow closer to floor than wrist only because of table tilt.

wait, why are we doing this? just do what's comfy. maybe you need an excercise regime.
>>
>>2350126
No i never done the box exercises besides what i did in hs like 8ish years ago when they had us do right side of the brain?

Would drawabox.com be good for practicing that stuff or any other exercises better? and i mean the exercise seems simple enough the 1 2 point perspective never done 3 point tho is it okay to practice it digitally?
>>
As a retard newbie beginner, where should I start?

I've been doing the basic exercises in Peter Han's first course video. But should I be doing more then that/something else?
>>
>>2350295
I dono how to help you if i don't even know where you are at. Post your work.
>>
>>2350295
The idea behind his method is that you have to achieve control over your tools befor you "actually start learning to draw". He'd tell you that you shouldn't be doing anything else until you can create lines exactly as you intended them. It requires patience and zeal. If you feel that that's not right for you, then you're taught by the wrong isntructor.
>>
File: route_3_by_namie_kun-d6b1dj2.jpg (896 KB, 900x695) Image search: [Google]
route_3_by_namie_kun-d6b1dj2.jpg
896 KB, 900x695
I was wondering, with pic related, how much do you think the artist (namie-kun/namface) studied fundamentals and drew figure drawings?
With some anime artists, it's more obvious that they really know their anatomy (零@SAN値不足) but others seem to get far just improving their stylised anatomy the whole way through.
>>
>>2350277
it's more just so you understand how to put the boxes in 3d space and have them look correct, how you do it, either traditional or digital doesn't matter, though i personally prefer traditional.
>>
>>2350128
ok let me be blunt, proportions are fucked and you are horible at measuring angles.

learn how to measure with a pencil, it to accurately get angles and how to estimate distance in relation to other parts of the body, and for god sake use cranium as a base, that way you know at least one spot is correct on the paper.

>>2350178
go to wiki and random, keep hitting it till you get something drawable.

>>2350341
looking at that you would think they are skilled or at least know how to hide flaws... but looking at other works that i assume are recent, they accidently place things in perspective, they i believe extensively use reference, possibly trace/photobash, and i'm going to assume this person also just knows how to do proportions correctly, not anatomy, that's mostly based off the only anime drawings and the one where they had a guy with the shirt off was lacking in any detail you would think would be there, only some shading
>>
Is it OK to keep going back and forth between trying to draw faces/perspective and figures/anatomy or should i focus on one until i have it somewhat down. Currently working on both
>>
What do you guys recommend for inking pens? I've been using Uni Pin pens for the most part with how coomon they are, but I've been branching out. I bought a 0.7 Koh-i-noor Yoken and a 0.2 Kuretake Drawing pen, just to try them out. What I'm looking for in a pen is waterproof ink that dries fast, doesn't feather and keeps to my lines as much as possible, and should last some time and abuse but I'm not looking for something to last me a lifetime. Just something that can draw well enough for a few months at least before running out of ink, or its nib fucking up bad within said few or more months.

Also, what do you guys recommend for a beginner's ideal dip pen, and some decent ink too. Trying out dip pens sound fun.
>>
>>2349079
In a month ill will go from working 12 hours a week to 50 hours a week. I dont want to give up on getting gud. How do i prepare for this? cant affort to doodle, search 30 mins for refs or browse /ic/ for two hours anymore. Any wagecucks here who want to share their schedule?
>>
File: IMG_1500.jpg (449 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1500.jpg
449 KB, 1600x1200
How do you guys store your pencils and other stationary?

Do you guys have a pencil case? I just realized I just put my stuff on my desk and it get's messy. I haven't used a pencil case since high school.

I remember basic pencil cases were shit though and smudged your pencils over use. Are there advanced pencil cases or some shit with pencil holders?
>>
>>2350508
Wake up an hour (or two, if you can) early in the morning, prepare to leave, and then draw until you have to go. If you still have the energy to draw when you get home, draw. Use downtime in the evenings (Or at other times) to find references. Work breaks or transportation time if you aren't driving to browse /ic/
>>
>>2350553
i have to get up at 5 am so two hours earlier is not possible, i was more wondering about the most efficent way i can study on a tight time budget. should i just set up a schedule randomly like 'day 1: gesture drawing; day 2: value study; day 3: portrait study'.

>Work breaks or transportation time if you aren't driving to browse /ic/
good tip, i have an hour long commute
>>
>>2350548
I bought one of these http://www.dickblick.com/products/yasutomo-niji-roll/. There's no more room in it and I have a couple dozen more pencils being shipped at the moment, so I don't know where I'll put those.
>>
>>2350585
Don't browse /ic/. Use your commute to draw. Just whatever is in front of you. The most interesting gesture/outfit/face/landscape/building/cityscape you can see right at that moment is what you draw. Towards the end of your commute you figure out what you didn't do enough of and then that's what you do at home.
>>
I see a lot of people who make vector art on illustrator by tracing the forms from photos. How is this not a copyright issue? I just started using illustrator and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to trace things like that or not. What I do now is I sketch on paper then trace a photo of my sketch, but I have some ideas that would probably look nicer if I traced parts from photos. What are the rules on this? Are they more loose for vector art? How can so many people sell art that's traced photographs?
>>
what do you guys find harder to draw, heads or hands?
i've spent the last 5 months learning heads, and for the past 2 weeks i've been doing hands exclusively and it's hard to tell why people say hands are harder than drawing a face. i can't see myself spending 5 months to get to the same competence as i am at with faces
>>
Currently doing exercises from fun with a pencil but have no idea what to do besides the exercises in the book.

Do you just try to get a grasp on what Loomis tries to teach and move on to the next book?
>>
File: intersectinglines.png (33 KB, 1201x693) Image search: [Google]
intersectinglines.png
33 KB, 1201x693
Does this drive anybody else nuts?

You're trying to clean up your inking layer and there's always the little bit right at the intersection where you either over or under erase, and you can either leave it and it looks like shit, or zoom in and fiddle with it, but it takes a lot of time to clean up every intersection, and you could be spending time on something else.

I suppose the easiest solution is to ink on multiple layers, were no lines intersect on any given layer, and then just collapse them all once you're done cleaning. But that strikes me as a hard habit to get into, and it would drive me nuts every time I forgot which layer I was on, etc.

Do you do that? Is there any easier way?
>>
I want to learn something specific about drawing people's faces. And that is to do it with as few lines as possible, not in a symbols kind of way, but according to the more-is-less principle. Do any books/people teach that?
>>
>>2350706
SAI has a transfer down option which basically merges the top layer with the layer below it and clears it at the same time. It's really easy that way since you can erase sloppily and you won't see any flaws once you merge it down.
But really this should be possible with any software using macros etc.
>>
>>2350706
Manga Studio solves this problem if you use vectors.
>>
>>2350951
>using vector

thanks but no thanks
>>
>>2350706

One solution is to have a hotkey for new layer / merge down and frequently make new layers when you have these sorts of intersections. Erase one with the comfort of a layer, then merge down when you're happy with it.
>>
File: hammy.jpg (24 KB, 260x341) Image search: [Google]
hammy.jpg
24 KB, 260x341
Has anyone studied Jack Hamm? I got this book and it seems to be pretty darn good.
>>
>>2350970
Yeah, it's not really that good. There are a few pointers here and there you won't find in other books but you might as well skip it.
>>
>>2350984
Damn it. Oh well. It wasn't that expensive I guess.
>>
>>2350970
>>2350986
Hamm's books are too symbol draw-y, though the landscape one's pretty good I guess.
>>
>>2350491

Anyome?
>>
File: оо.jpg (101 KB, 1224x789) Image search: [Google]
оо.jpg
101 KB, 1224x789
How did he arrive at this east-south conclusion? I dont get this thing.
>>
Hey, i'm new here and i need your help please. I want to start drawing on a digital tablet , i was looking the huion h420 tablet, is a good choice for a newbie? any other suggestions for that price? thanks.
>>
File: 1448581917270.png (325 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1448581917270.png
325 KB, 667x670
I've been drawing for a number of years, and aside from still life and watercolor, I've tried to teach myself things like anatomy and gesture. I mostly feel kinda stagnant, and a little lost on how to improve.

Any pointers or tips on the basics of getting gud? They'd be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>2351030
east and south form a 90 degree angle
>>
>>2351058
What's your budget cause the H420's real small
>>
>>2351030
For rectangles and squares in 2pp, you have one vanishing point to the left and one to the right. The station point is a mapping of where you are standing, and if you draw a line from your left vanishing point, to your station point, then back up to the right vanishing point, you should always have a 90 degree angle (again, for boxes and rectangles).

This East + South distinction is arbitrary, but used to demonstrate a point. It could be N+E, E+S, S+W, W+N, NW+NE, etc. On a compass, these pairs of directions are 90 degrees to each other. You can't have one vanishing point at N and another at SW, as that's now more than 90 degrees.
>>
>>2351123
low, just for starting.
>>
Anyone have full pack of catbib?
>>
Does anyone use the wireless with the intuos pro? Or really any comparable tablet.
I usually keep it plugged in because I assume there might be more delay with wireless, but that might be a completely baseless assumption. I feel like I've nearly broken my USB port a few times by this point handling it, so I'm considering using wireless instead.
>>
File: 22.jpg (105 KB, 1603x906) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
105 KB, 1603x906
Whenever I try to ink something it turns out shit. I'm still a beginner so I know it's not that great to begin with, but it always seems significantly worse. Is there something I'm missing or am I just really awful at it?
>>
>>2351514
This is a troll right like how the fuck do you ink in a way that doesnt even follow the sketch lines at all? If you are being serious maybe just clean up the sketch instead of making new ink lines? i dono desu your style wont look good with line art i think.
>>
>>2351514
This
>Think it's my brush
>try different brushes for hours
>None work, practice more thinking it's just cuz I'm shit
>No improvements
>Begrudgingly try inking the piece again
>Vicious cycle continues until I eventually use the binary tool and hate myself
>>
>>2351518
I'm really not trolling? I have an incredibly hard time following the sketch lines, If I go too slow, it turns out squiggly and uneven, when I draw too fast it's not accurate.

What do you suggest doing instead of line art? I really have no clue what the next step is after sketching, as I usually get really disappointed with how it turns out and I start over.
>>
Where do I go if I want to learn drawing cute stuff
>>
>>2351525
what program are you using. I dono maybe i'm reading your lines way diff cause i see some your lines look nice and flowy and you should follow those but instead you following some other shiz so maybe im interpreting your sketch diff than you are. Oh yeah back to the program you use. If you are using sai maybe try and use the stabalizer and see if that helps with your shakey hand. Also maybe use a thicker brush cause thin lines won't look good unless you are good.
>>
>>2351532
What do you mean by cute? and if it's just for yourself i mean literally anywhere? just look at stuff you think is cute and try and imitate it? Like if you don't want to be a artist and want to just draw cute (girls) for fun and shiz i dont think you haveeeee to do all the steps but that might also be literal bad advice so take it with a pinch of salt.
>>
>>2351534
I'm using photoshop, but maybe I will try sai. I don't really have this problem so much working traditionally, but with digital and not being able to see where the lines are I really struggle.

And yeah I feel a lot more relaxed when I'm sketching and the lines look better, but I dunno when I try cleaning it up maybe its just nerves or something.
>>
>>2351541
Like i used to use sai too but i want to do more painterly shiz instead of linearty stuff. But I think in photoshop you can use the pen tool and do lines like that but i dont know about that since i just stick with painting on ps. Sai is p good with lineart in mind tho thats fosho.

But yeah maybe you can erase some of the lines you dont need after you finish sketching and keep cleaning off lines you dont need and be left with a "line art" but unless you gonna use it in a peice where you will color and stuff it'll look p bad going that method.
>>
>>2351547
I never really thought of just erasing some of the lines and cleaning it up like that. I guess I'll try that next, thanks!
>>
>>2351551
no probs man post up them results when ya try it.
>>
>>2350126
>>2349182
Then how to the it works, i can't understand it?
>>
File: 3061.jpg (31 KB, 318x447) Image search: [Google]
3061.jpg
31 KB, 318x447
I'm a complete beginner in need of some structure. Is pic related a decent book that won't fuck me over in the long run?
>>
>>2351730
do you know how to copy things?
>>
My face features appear flat. What are exact tools to create an illusion of volume when doing face features?
>>
>>2351787
bones (cheek bones, eye sockets, brows etc.)
>>
>>2350362
focus on one would make you understand one better, but its boring to focus on only one thing.

>>2350491
>>2351019
a rapidograph, i also recommend looking into inking with brushes or with nibs, unless you are on the go, than i recommend the copic pocket brush.

>>2350508
does your job demand 100% of your focus and effort or else you put yours and other people's asses in danger?
if yes, cutting sleep cant be done...

best i can tell you is to just draw, even if you don't feel like it, make it your go to hoby.

>>2350548
i have a green plastic box i got at a yard sale about 16 years ago which i put most of the crap i use a lot in, i keep other things in their boxes, and i have a canvas roll (the same style linked >>2350600 but mine came with pencils of every hardness) thing i got a while back that i used as a way to test out different graphite hardnesses.

i don't recommend pencils stored in anything soft bodies ot in a way that requires you to bend them at all to take out, as you can break the lead inside.

>>2350585
gesture every day as a warm up exercise, than i would suggest focus on proportions/measurements, is this line correct to this line... its the one place most people/beginners fail at so hard that makes everything they do shit more so than any other failing of theirs.

once you get good at that, start committing anatomy to memory. major forms first minor next.

from there you should be able to self diagnose problem areas and work on them.

>>2350608
are they making money?
are they claiming the art as their own?
if no to both than most people don't give to much of a shit.

>>2350613
because a face is more or less the same every single time, small variations, where as a hand, is only 1 form set in stone than 5 appendages that have 2-3 points of articulation each... when i was still in good practice, a face wasn't to hard to do decent, but fucking hands, every one came out an abortion for a long god damn time.
>>
>>2351819

Any brand of brushes or nibs and inks you'd recommend?
>>
>>2350706
I don't bother with inking anymore, i run any work i want to make digital through photoshops palette knife tool and it gets me good enough lines to not do the inking phase digitally.

however, if when i did do inking digitally, or at least try to, i worked on one layer, at a large resolution, and when i wanted to erase part of a line, i would turn the canvas to an easier angle and erase with a large hard brush as s close as the top one in the image, than i would go in with small soft brushes and clean the area up... it may not look perfect, but once you downscale it is becomes unnoticeable and even if you know what to look for barely noticeable.

>>2350708
if im understanding what you are asking for, i think a gnomen dvd... i think a comic book anatomy one has a head section where he goes into great detail how little needs to be there for someone to see a face.

>>2351210
>>2351123
>>2351058
to fucking small, don't even bother. i mean seriously, 2 inches by 4 inches active area... thats a fucking joke.

here
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Painting-Drawing-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B00H4LAF9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452860268&sr=8-3&keywords=monoprice+tablet

that should be the exact same as the huion 610pro, but for about half the price new.

know what you are getting into though, they are great tablets when they work, but driver issues are kind of a pain in the ass if you have them. read up how to install the drivers before you even touch the things.

>>2351104
got any practice thing to post? without really knowing where you are its hard to tell you what to do.

>>2351376
get a usb hub, and plug shit into the hub instead of directly into the computer, if you want to go really nice, a powered hub. but on the topic of lag, yea, it will add a small amount, so small its unperceivable, you may see it a bit on fast strokes, but its nothing that you should be actively concerned about... i just keep my shit wired all the time because i don't like power coating out
>>
>>2351514
ok, your issues is simple
the lines in your ink are not clean.
and from the sounds of it, you suck at pulling lines.

i don't remember, but there is an art tool that makes the lines with vectors, so you can adjust thickness and curve after you put it down, use that program, someone else will have to tell you as its been a long fuck off time since i last did any inking digitally.

but yea, its an issue most people face, their sketchy lines look a lot fucking nicer than their clean linework.
it takes a good while for that to stop happening.

>>2351532
define cute with an image.

>>2351587
what?
look the image is suppose to snap you out of using symbols, forcing you to draw what you see, instead of what you think you see. the moment you are able to do that, the image looses its value, drawing it till its perfect would be stupid.

>>2351787
knowing the planes of the face and drawing the shadows correctly?

>>2351823
pentel pocket brush, if i remember right it is the cheapest brush that is great for inking, once the cartridges run out you can use it like a dip brush, or even fill it with your own ink though that may not work as well as just dipping.

as for nibs, you fucking got me there, i picked up a set of highball nibs to try a bunch out at once. apparently no america company is worth a damn when it comes to nibs...

so you are going to want to get japanese nibs, and specifically a G nib, and whatever the japanese equivalent of a crow quill is.

as for inks. not going to lie, i'm a cheap mother fucker so i went for "higgins fountain pen india" while i like it for what it is, it's apparently shit.
>>
>>2351525

Put your shmancy fancy tablet away and practice straight lines and ellipsies with pen until you pass out.
>>
>>2351819
>does your job demand 100% of your focus and effort or else you put yours and other people's asses in danger?
>if yes, cutting sleep cant be done...

No, but im a big fan of sleeping
>>
>>2351831

Thanks. I got a one of the Kuretake brush pens with refillable cartridges. Is that good in itself for learning the trade and inking drawings and comics, or is the Pentel pocket brush superior in those aspects?
>>
>>2351845
>Kuretake brush pen
probably more than enough, just keep in mind im a very cheap motherfucker and if i can get away with paying less i will, with the pentel, its something like 7-14$ and wouldn't scare me as much to abuse as let's say a 28$ pen like what you have would.

>>2351832
lets assume he is able to do that shit traditionally, traditional to digital, while easier, is a different muscle memory set, on top of how weird it feels to draw one place while looking at another for the results.

>>2351838
if you are able to cut back on sleep a bit that would be helpful as you don't require a hard "this is when i need to sleep, no way around it" time.
>>
>>2349079
I tried to draw strictly with digital, but I began to procrastinate more. I draw more when I have a pen and paper in front of me instead of a tablet. Does anyone else go through this? Any tips?
>>
>>2351875
Unless you have a large tablet, drawing digitally can be a pain in the ass.
>>
I'm going through Bridgman's constructive anatomy but it's all dudes. Any good similar book with female anatomy as well?
>>
What exactly appeals to people in stylized art? What factors, other than skill, make people hit the re-blog button?
>>
File: exercise_dissection5.jpg (173 KB, 1280x703) Image search: [Google]
exercise_dissection5.jpg
173 KB, 1280x703
How can I make better dissections? Mine looks like shit and isn't convincing at all, Idk how to look at a reference and replicate the textures.
>>
>>2351912

anime
>>
File: freddy.jpg (15 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
freddy.jpg
15 KB, 500x333
>>2351917
>>
how to get into digital?
>>
>>2351915
look at alphonso dunns videos on texture and forms
>>
File: 1452614153254.jpg (905 KB, 1373x1000) Image search: [Google]
1452614153254.jpg
905 KB, 1373x1000
How do I make those stockings? textures?
Also, how do I paint in this style, seems very easy, but I'm a total begginer.
>>
>>2351974
that foreshortening is hilarious
>>
File: ucamekaramatsugirls.png (70 KB, 181x281) Image search: [Google]
ucamekaramatsugirls.png
70 KB, 181x281
>>2349079
I want to learn to draw manga in the UK. Whats the best course out there to study so I can get the skills and knowledge to become a mangaka?
>>
>>2351888
medium 5x9 or bigger tablet is the minimum you should consider, its smaller than this that is a pain in the ass, also the really large tablets, at least by people who are already use to a medium are also a pain in the ass.

>>2351909
reference whatever medical text you need, and use female bodybuilders. the muscle structure between men and women is largely the same outside i believe the chest and lower abdomen, at least as far as artist anatomy is concerned.

>>2351912
an impressionistic color pallet
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/2-melody-of-the-night-palette-knife-landscape-oil-painting-on-canvas-by-leonid-afremov-leonid-afremov.html
this gets more people than anything else, outside of this you are trying to hit specific niches, which also require their own color pallets.

>>2351915
well it looks like this person already had a tube made, than went about dissecting it after it was done.

things to note are the hairy texture, the bumpy and the waxy, these are what is going to make and break believability, alphonso dunn did a video on this a while back where he made a fuck load of textures on simple shapes, look that up and do that exercise instead for a while.

>>2351934
get a tablet and get a program and start that grind.

>>2351974
for the blue one its a dot matrix with no wrapping around, than a rose pattern on top of it that is trying to wrap around a bit.

>>2351990
go to mcdonalds and start flipping burgers because you will never be a mangaka, and this isn't some dick on the internet telling you to give up your dreams, this is a reality check that japan is a racist country and will pretty much fucking never have you as part of their workforce if someone in the country can do the job.

if you just want to draw comics or get a job drawing, there is watts online, i don't know of anything local to you though.
>>
>>2352036
What if I try to publish manga here in the UK?
>>
>>2351934
>>2352036

i have already intuos art m and ps but i have nearly no idea what and how i should do anything

any gud books or tutorials?
>>
File: breakfast-kiwi-400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
breakfast-kiwi-400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>2351915
>>2351943
>>2352036

I mean drawing the inside part. Such as this kiwi. All I get is "look more at the subject" but I spend a lot of time looking at it and drawing it different ways and they don't look convincing at all.
>>
>>2352142
how are you rendering it? is it lines? hatching? pencil shading? it probably has a lot to do do with either the values being off or you're not understanding how to manipulate basic forms in perspective.

it would be a lot easier if you posted your attempts
>>
>>2352142
Try converting the image to greyscale, you are probably just missing the values, it can be really hard to judge values in an image like that. Post your drawings tho, it could be something else.
>>
File: оо.jpg (54 KB, 274x347) Image search: [Google]
оо.jpg
54 KB, 274x347
Does anyone have a digital copy of a book 'Perspective made easy' by Robbie Lee? (do not confuse with 'Perspective made easy' by Norling).
>>
>>2352203
>>2352228

The exercise asks to do with a felt tip pen. My attempts are so bad I don't want to post them.
>>
File: 2016-01-15_23h24_13.jpg (51 KB, 786x99) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-15_23h24_13.jpg
51 KB, 786x99
>>2351826
>gnomon dvds
Are you referring to David Finch's workshop videos? I copied his anatomy illustrations but haven't gotten to faces/heads yet.
Also, pls respond
>>2350708
>>2350708
>>2350708
>>2350708
>>
How do I learn to capture likeness in faces when I want them in a different perspective?
>>
>>2352268
Loomis says we need anfas and profile measurements and the - project them.

Like, you rotate your basic shape (ball with planes or box) and project on its parts measurements accordingly.

Though this is basic concept and im unaware of technicalities.
>>
I'd like to summon your undivided attention to these two posts:
>>2352268
>>2352261
>>
>>2352048
you would at best call that a asian inspired comic, and this can sell, but largely anyone who looks at it and sees its not from japan just cant be asked and if you want a comic fan to look at it, again, they may just see it as weeb crap and walk by, unless you make a webcomic and get a sizeable following for it, you likely won't get anywhere with a manga like artstyle.

this is also assuming by mangaka you mean you want to literally make manga.

>>2352265
yes i believe that is is, but i'm not going to say 100% i recognize the name, but i cant say if that was specifically the one its been a year or so sense i last looked at it.
>>
>>2351514
Your lines aren't clean, just use thick brush your drawings will look much better.
it's easier using thick lines because they look "solid"
>>
>>2351058
>>2351123
>>2351210
>>2351826
thanks m8
>>
Anybody here just spend a huge amount of time watching tutorial and not actually drawing?
>>
What exactly is a form study? I don't really understand what it implies outside of "examine a subject from photograph or life and draw the shapes that you see". What should I be examining? What should I learn from this?
>>
File: 1451112933048.jpg (151 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1451112933048.jpg
151 KB, 720x960
What's the best medium to learn to paint in color? My goal is to learn watercolor and digital painting, but if I start with watercolors I'd waste a lot of supplies.

I have watercolor pencils too (about 30), normal color pencils (prismacolor 12 set), and an intuos 3 with SAI and PS. Would starting digitally be recommended?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2353067
no, because i actually want to learn to draw
>>
>>2353079

It's not as simple as "'draw the shapes you see", it's more so about drawing the shapes and while thinking of the 3D form.

Like this picture, even though it's a 2D character on paper the artist was thinking of it's 3D form.
>>
>>2353086

So what techniques should I employ? Cross-contour drawing? "Transparent" drawing (extrapolating parts of the form not visible from the current view)? The way the shape affects light flow and by extension, value?
Also, what sort of mindset should I take on? What should I conceptualize during the process? What makes the study more than just "draw what you see"? Construction is something I've historically struggled with, so I really want to get this down.
>>
File: th.jpg (28 KB, 336x460) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
28 KB, 336x460
>>2353091

I started out doing a little of cross contour, as for "transparent" drawings I didn't do that as much, but while I was drawing I imagined the parts I didn't see even though I didn't draw them, and took note of it's placement.

Personally I didn't do any of those, but I thought about it in my head. Like, everything can be simplified into basic shapes, and with enough understanding you should be able to picture them in your head, even if it is something simple like a roll of toilet paper.

If you want to understand construction just work with Vilppu and Hampton's books. Hell, even doing a little bit of sculpting would help.
>>
>>2353085
Observation and making your brain thinking is a great way to learn too, for real, some times just you know, seeing a picture of an artist you like and start analyzing thing will definetly help, same with tuts or books
>>
>>2353097

Ah, so it's basically standard drawing from life, but with a deliberate mental analysis of how three-dimensional objects sit in space and optionally a little bit of marking to indicate understanding. I'm understanding this correctly, right?

> Vilppu and Hampton, even a little bit of sculpting
I've heard a lot about Vilppu and Hampton, but I have also been told that material is more geared for intermediates, and as of right now I'm only one step above absolute beginner.
>>
>>2353103

Yes, exactly. Mind posting some of your art?

Honestly I'd work with Vilppu and drill it in to your head early on. I bought LOOMIS when I was starting out and it went waay over my head.
But Vilppu is more so about gesture and forms, so I think you'd benefit from it either way. Hampton builds off of Vilppu and gives you more solid "anatomy", so that will take your imaginative drawings further.
>>
File: 2015-7-11 hand cropped.jpg (2 MB, 2052x2232) Image search: [Google]
2015-7-11 hand cropped.jpg
2 MB, 2052x2232
>>2353108

I'm a bit hesitant, but eh, here. Pic related is my best work ever done so far. Not sure how I did it, almost seems like a fluke.

More relevantly, I've recently started a practice diary on DA (http://the1banana.deviantart.com/) after a seven month hiatus from drawing due to coursework, but I'm excited to get back into it.

After attempting chapter 1 of Vilppu Drawing Manual and struggling with gestures, people here diagnosed the problem as overall lack of line confidence and familiarity with life drawing and recommended I start from scratch with Keys to Drawing, which I am currently engaged in doing. And yeah, Loomis is a bit over my head at the moment. Historically, I have struggled massively with Fun With a Pencil. My cartoon heads just look freakish and unnatural.

I'm seriously not much more than an absolute beginner, so I thank you for taking time to help me this late at night.
>>
>>2353113

Honestly I'd grind though fun with a pencil until you can at least apply the concepts. Basically everything else is built from this book. Although the first few chapters of Vilppu would help, as they are pretty simplistic and address pretty much the same issues.

I'm pretty bad, but i'll add you on Deviantart if you'd like. I've been inactive for a while but I just graduated and got a shitty AA in art so I've been using this break to actually practice lol. In the two years of classes all I learned are photoshop, and that I liked Watercolors.
>>
>>2353122

Sure I'd be down for that.
I guess I'll run some Fun with a Pencil concurrently with Keys to Drawing, while doing some supplemental studying on the side. Thanks for all your advice.
>>
File: 011516 perspective practice.png (912 KB, 2549x2391) Image search: [Google]
011516 perspective practice.png
912 KB, 2549x2391
What would best help me improve my art?
>>
File: breasts-pectoral.jpg (17 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
breasts-pectoral.jpg
17 KB, 500x287
>>2353140
Top left: Her left boob should be pulled up a bit. boobs move up slightly when the arm is raised, pic related.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with CGP? It's already 16th and they are still closed for registration.
>>
>>2353140
Your figure in perspective has her leg and feet completely cutoff, and you didn't use straight lines for the diagonals. You also didn't measure the torso very well against your vanishing points, and didn't measure the pelvis or head against the vanishing points at all. Put more effort into it - look up how Loomis does his figures in perspective from Figure Drawing for All Its Worth for a good starting point.

The other drawings all suffer from cutoff limbs. Embrace calves, feet, and hands, and master them, stop running away.
>>
>>2352261
Please respond
>>
>>2353352
this will really help me out thank you. and thank you for pointing me to the right direction.
how could i learn to draw hands feet ankles and wrist they are all major weaknesses of mine
>>
I want to get into drawing, maybe make a webcomic or draw lewds.

I've been looking at a bunch of tablets and I'm thinking about getting one of the recent intuos tablets around £70. The problem is they are small and I've heard drawing on a small tablet sucks.

I can get a used medium intuos pen and touch for £110 but I'm not sure I want to pay that much and buying something used can lead to problems sometimes.

Any recommendations for tablets?
>>
>>2353378
i like the huion tablets. i used a 610 pro and a 1080pro plus both are wayyyyy bigger than my first tablet a wacom bamboo and a fraction of the cost. i love my pro plus. just install drivers before you plug it in tho.
>>
>>2353391

Thanks i'm looking into them and they look really good for their price, although I've heard the quality of Huion products are quite poor?
>>
>>2353398
mmm the 610 definately felt a lot worse than the 1060. Butttt it wasnt that bad desu and i got it for like 60ish american so it was a good price imo. However the 610 i dono how or why but the top texture orr whatever peeled off like it got scraped by my stylus?? i did use that one for around a year or 2 but yeah desu i'd easilyyyy go for the 1060 like the build quality and feel is so nice. It's really spacious with a lot of room and it's keys feel nice. I never saw a need to use the inbuild memory but it might be cool if you plan on taking the tablet to a friends to draw? you can install your art program on the tablet and use it at their house but again you'd have to download the drivers and install them before plugging them in.
>>
>>2353362
Same way you learn anything. I'm sure wherever you're learning construction from has what you're looking for. If not, Loomis, Bridgman, Vilppu. The information is out there, you just gotta draw it.
>>
>>2353421
I havent learned construction yet the lil boxes i did was something i saw and tried to use this time to see how it goes.
>>
any good books or videos about drawing digitally with photoshop? or good advices?
>>
File: chicas.png (643 KB, 1461x1485) Image search: [Google]
chicas.png
643 KB, 1461x1485
How can I improve my digital art?
>>
>>2353508
By reading the sicky. Not meming, read it
>>
>>2353508

Get rid of lines
>>
>>2353523
I want to learn digital inking too.
>>
>>2353508
learn to shade in grey first
>>
>>2353548
Good point, thanks!
>>
Can anybody point me to some videos of professionals drawing on non-cintiq tablets? Not screen-captures, but the artists actual body. I want to observe how they have their desk set up, how they sit and move and so on. Can't find anything worth shit.
>>
I woke up today and suddenly I'm drawing everything really big. Not a single gesture ends up fitting on the page. Yesterday everything was fine. What's going on?
>>
Does anyone have any resources on the drawing the muscles of the arms and legs that would go well with this lesson?
http://drawabox.com/lesson/12
>>
Why cant it always just be night time
During the day i procrastinate, but I get so motivated to do shit right before going to bed help
>>
>>2353754
you can move to island/alaska/northern europe. That's my plan anyway, the last 2 winters were complete shite here in central europe and winter is my favourite time of the year so fuck this place as soon as I finish school I'll try to move north. Winter all year son!
>>
File: Man.jpg (103 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Man.jpg
103 KB, 256x256
How would I go about creating textures like these?

This a texture from a game called LSD Dream Emulator. I want to be able to create textures similar to this. I'm guessing they used some software or compressed images to get this effect. Or maybe someone just handpainted 50 of these.
>>
>>2352261
Please respond.
>>
How to speedpaint? When I take my time on art I do fine, but whenever I try to do it quickly it turns into a sloppy mess.
>>
I'm asking the real question: what gets the likes and shares on Facebook? if for my first digital drawing I want to sell my soul right from the start, what kind of piece will appeal every demographic that would go from my mom and friends to people you encounter browsing 4chan to "generate buzz"?
>>
>>2353933
super detailed, photo realistic portraits of celebrities. Also make pieces relevant to current social trends. IE Back when harlem shake was a thing, you could, like, draw obama doing the Harlem Shake.
>>
File: vjscqndfuy.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
vjscqndfuy.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2351826
Not sure if you're still here, but I'm >>2351104. I don't have a whole lot of practice stuff, which is probably part of the problem, but here's something I've done recently.
>>
>>2353906
speedpainting is not a skill that you learn, it's the product of doing a type of work over and over again.
>>
>>2352261
Please respond
>>
>>2353990
nice, got a blog?
>>
>>2352262
Post them so we know where you stand, remember this is practice shit it's meant to be shared.

>>2352268
Understand the planes the face in perspective

>>2353067
This is a fun problem, I mostly don't draw because I keep re-going over the same fucking skill that already learned in the past but shit away. If anything you can take from me, it's draw every day, don't fucking waste your skills as re-doing the same shit over again to re-get to where you've already been that sucks so much dick

>>2353079
Okay this is gonna take a long time replied all of this so let's set a baseline for what form study means in this context, >>2353086 We are going to use this as the baseline, think of it as though you're trying to draw an object while doing a wireframe of it. If you need help understanding what this is look at old video games from PlayStation one or Nintendo 64 they usually have wireframe cheats, play some of those and use the cheats and you'll probably understand what you should be doing. >>2353091 Note the image that he posted, Even though it's trying to emulate a wireframe it's not doing it exactly.
>>2353113
Looking at this send your sketch diary I can tell you why this one seems like an accident, you're just starting to get good at proportions. Once you get proportions down and you're good at measuring how far some line should be from other lines your art will look immensely better on a regular basis. Look up bargue plate, if I remember how you're supposed to do those correctly it's all about proportions. The exercises that you do here would probably help you in drawing in general.

>>2353082
Learn all of your color theory and all that shit digitally, the skill is transferable to traditional and the only thing you have to learn at that point is the medium itself, you won't be fighting the medium to also learn the color theory. This is also the far cheaper route to go to.
>>
>>2353140
If these are from imagination, you have a fairly good basis to work from. What mistakes you're making right now can be fixed through repetition and grinding the areas. You would also be well served shadow mapping, treat the edge of the shadow like another contour and start drawing that, you can fill it and if you want to but it's not necessary.

>>2353262
If I had to take a guess they just did a complete site overhaul and instead of opening up registration they're keeping it down for longer to work out any of the kinks.

>>2353358
>>2353834
>>2354041

Just judging by the cover art alone, not a single person would fucking pirate that thing because it looks like it's a piece of crap. Again I can't really speak to the contents, but if I had to take a guess you'd be better served with other books.

Taking my time and actually finding the artists website, looking at the first chapter of the book, I wouldn't hold out no hope that anyone is ever going to bothers pirating it.

>>2353378
>>2353391
>>2353398
>>2353404
Take a look above, I link the Monoprice tablet that I believe is a direct copy of a huion 610pro for a little under $40 American. There are issues with these tablets, drivers being one of them, but when they work they perform about as good as an intous pro, just without measuring the angle you're holding the pen at.

>>2353484
There are plenty but you not to find anything at all encompassing, is there anything specifically that you want.

>>2353508
>>2353550
>>2353548
First off, fuck the soft brushes. Second instead of trying to shade with the harder brushes, pick a highlight pick a mid and pick a dark tone and only use those three.
Third, learn to do value studies and do a lot of them it helps a lot, especially not having to think of color at the same time of thinking of how bright something is.

>>2353571
You're probably not to find much there just because there is very little value in it to most people.
>>
>>2350356
you're still supposed to measure stuff out with gesture drawings? I thought that accuracy was less important and you'e supposed to focus on capturing movement and what you feel
>>
>>2353665
You started wanting to draw bigger? I'd say get some 24 x 18 newsprint, then get a 26 x 24 drawing board.

>>2353733
You should be able to find color-coordinated muscle charts on Google by searching anatomy artists.

>>2353766
Feed the images through a program like irfanview, and do a batch color conversion. You'll want to set the color value to something 256 are lower. Then you just lower the images resolution and there you go.

>>2353906
With skill comes speed, Now if you talking about most speed pain so get to see on YouTube there sped up by a factor of 2 to 20

>>2353990
Honestly better than I thought you'd be.
Have you ever thought of giving inking a try?
If you haven't, pick up a Pentel pocket brush and try doing with that, while you're doing that you might also want to try crosshatching with it.

There anything that you can show us from her life that you've done? You shown us mega man in a car but those can easily be just a style that you got good at.
>>
>>2354415
>You started wanting to draw bigger?
I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing it intentionally.
>>
>>2354400
>>2354400
Oh you are supposed to capture movement, but I look at prokos gestures and I can't think of a single way you could possibly use what the fuck he just did in a finished piece, but in the same vein look at someone like vilppu, were even from the most basic gesture he draws you can see how it turns into a finished piece.

Then I listen to another artist I can't remember his name, but he basically just the gesture and told you that if any of the proportions were often the gesture just fucked the whole drawing because it's not fixable and redo it. He did this in the gesture phase because it took very little work for him to get to that point get that point would still be the basis of everything he makes going forward so if the bones were bad everything following that would be bad.

I think with animation a gesture would be taken differently than with non-animation art, can't think of the fucking word for that now, where the entire purpose of the drawing is getting the motion and making it believable in an exaggerated sense.

>>2354418
Well aware, but how exactly do I respond to somebody who's saying I'm drawing bigger than I am before what do.
-----------------------

On a side note, I got the 16 GB DDR two to fucking work, I had to down clock in a bit but overall it's significantly improve my computer's responsiveness considering I would constantly go over eight gigs of RAM before this.

So for the next I don't know couple of threads I'm pretty much just to be using Dragon to respond, and I'm going to miss a lot of things so it's probably gonna sound a little weird, that said my normal writing's is pretty shitty to but now it's going to be weird because of the program interpreting my words weirdly and set it just me thinking too fast and forgetting to type out words.
>>
File: 011616 tower girls.png (1 MB, 3600x3000) Image search: [Google]
011616 tower girls.png
1 MB, 3600x3000
>>2354394
The top right is from imagination the rest were 2~5 min figures I think maybe 10 at most for the on bottom left.
These are all from imagination. the bottom one i didnt even know the fuck cause it was all smoke and i dono wtf to do for that.
>>
>>2354491
R E S I Z E
E
S
I
Z
E
>>
File: 011616 tower girls resize.png (528 KB, 2000x1666) Image search: [Google]
011616 tower girls resize.png
528 KB, 2000x1666
>>2354508
>>2354491
>>2354394

Sorry resized it
>>
why is everyone on this site so good? https://paintberri.com/posts/browse?page=1
>>
>>2354754
they ain't good, we just suck too much.
>>
>>2354508
If you're using chrome there is an extension called ImageZoomer, that makes file sizes that are too big no longer an issue. If you're not using chrome there is a version of this for every single browser that exists, I suggest you get one.

>>2354754
They're not, you see in the upper left-hand corner of the browsing where it says popular, click that and select new, on average I believe this place doesn't attract as many little kids is something like deviantART would, or the artistic right now, but they're not good you're just seeing the good ones.
>>2354755
The way I do find the definition of good, it isn't being at the level of a master, it is even being at the level of employment, good at least to me is just I don't hate what the fuck I make anymore. While I would like to be better than that, I don't define good as being better than that.

>>2354491
>>2354516
Like I said before you have a reasonable foundation, when you doing the quick sketches, try looking at the image, understand the pose that it's an, and then try to draw that pose from imagination. Once you think you got the pose down then drawn again from the reference. After that's done take a look at the one you made from imagination the one from reference and the reference and figure out where your missing information. This should probably help you a lot till show you exactly where your lacking and where you should focus more
>>
>>2354754
deviantart is good if you search based on popularity too
>>
File: gqetgj.jpg (347 KB, 1530x1192) Image search: [Google]
gqetgj.jpg
347 KB, 1530x1192
In gesture drawing, how are you even meant to draw things that are hidden by clothing? Like in a dress.

Just guess if the leg is straight/bent? On the woman you can tell one leg is bent forward but you can't see her supporting leg.

I always skip these images
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1402x1235) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1402x1235
Asked this in the last thread but didn't get a response.

In manga studio 4, when selecting an area and choosing the "tone" option you would get a real time preview of how that tone would look in the selected area. In 5, this seems to be gone and you only get a little preview in the options box. Is there a way to reenable this feature?
>>
When should one transition to digital?
>>
>>2354938
You never should, just do it if u really want it.
>>
>>2354930
i'm afraid i can't help you since you seem to know more about screen tones than i do.
on that subject, what are some good, and i mean good tutorials on how to apply screen tones in MG5?
I've been watching tutorials on how to use real screen tones but the digital ones don't seem to behave in the same way. like, i can't overlay the same screen tone on two layers because the tones are 'locked" in a grid of sorts.

i also don't know at which resolution i should be working and if it has any impact on the quality of the screen tone and...ugh, so many questions !

oh i already watched the official tutorial from smith micro btw (it's not very good)

lol
>>
Looked at some comic book artists' work and I'm starting to get a tiny bit of it. My question about where to learn about drawing faces with as few lines as possible still stands: >>2350708
Would greatly appreciate some links/general advice.
>>
>>2354884
Everything has gesture, even clothes
>>
>>2354938
whenever you like, it doesn't really matter
>>
>>2354961
Sadly I'm in the same boat as you. There really aren't any decent videos for digitally working with screentones.
>>
>>2354856
Thank you so much!
Btw is there a better way of looking up reference like I always try google images and try and look up refs by typing what I see like oh side view or hands forward leaning over and i get the weirdest things not related to my pose i'm pretty sure im looking for ref wrong,
>>
>>2355358
personally i just got a bunch of models from peers, its all up to the terms you use to search though...

don't forget about bing, i honestly prefer bing for image searches... there is another search engine for images i cant remember the name of but it was all free to use images that have no copyright associated bullshit attached.
>>
>>2349079
I was on a roll, practicing the entire two weeks, start to finish on my winter break. Grinding the perspective and taking notes on Marshall's lectures.

School started again about two weeks ago and I've barely drawn again since. It pisses me off how much life and vigor takes from me.

Besides just dropping a bunch of my classes, which I am, how do I get my inspiration back? Sorry for the dumb question but I need someone or something
>>
>>2349079
Why do I only get motivated to draw when I'm horny?
>>
>>2355458
because you have no imagination
>>
>>2355454

Just make yourself draw for 30 minutes to an hour after class, even if you don't want to. You'll build the habit eventually. Waiting to be inspired won't get you anywhere.
>>
are they any other archives for /ic/ until warosu is up again?
>>
>>2355529
expanding on this anon:
draw every day from life. Studying perspective/anatomy from a book/video is necessary, but will burn you out, and is less rewarding than drawing shit around you. I find it 1000 times easier to get inspiration/motivation to draw shit around me (my cat, mom, some statue, etc) because after a while, my sketchbook is like a journal of my life, and I remember each drawing. Make sure you date each drawing, maybe other notes like how long it took, but ALWAHS date it.

Caveat is you usually have to spend 30+ on each drawing to really get it to be a rewarding drawing to look back on. So so worth it though. Make sure you're diligent about measuring, so it looks like what you're looking at.

Remember this: Stare at your subject, glance at your drawing.
>>
Every season there is a lot of new anime aired.

In each title we see good technique work with construction, consistency and render.

These titles are done by a lot of different artitst.

This means we can speak about it as some craft achievable by average joe. Given this is Japan, there might already be some established way to achieve this craft.

Is there an utilized for drawing anime program, course, which accents on anime-specific construction, free camera angles - anime uses this a lot when showing character faces - anime-specific perspective, render, gesture, anatomy etc.

I know there is a right way - to learn classical realistic drawing from the scratch and then stylize it.

But is also a hard way.

Given that i need to draw anime - maybe there is a simplified, utilizied for this narrow purpose - way?
>>
>>2355346
>>2354961
>>2354930
To be completely honest the best you're probably going to get is finding somebody who knows the program and is drawing with it, it's sad but most tutorials are only made for Photoshop, one of the downsides of the program even though I like it a lot more than Photoshop.

>>2354938
>>2355202
>>2354958
I would say make the transition after you got to the first time your ability to see your failures is exceeded by your skills. What I mean by that is your drawing and you're not seeing parts for your bad anymore, it's a common thing to leapfrog it every now and then your ability to see it won't be as good as your skill is so you won't see flaws but then your ability to see will level up and then you'll see all the flaws in your shit and then your skill will have to level up right after it. Until the first time you stop seeing flaws I'd say work traditionally only, in this phase repetition is your friend. Once you get past this part that's what I'd say start rendering or start trying to go digital if that's what you really want.

>>2355002
The rule of thumb is you don't draw lines on the face, period.
It's something like every three or five lines you put on somebody's face adds a year to their appearance.

Now if you want to draw a face with his few lines as possible as in you just want to draw the eyes and eyebrows nose and mouth, take a small portion of the face let's say the eye, draw like you normally would look at it and figure out what you can probably take away from it and still make it look like and I and draw it right next to it do this in a bunch of thumbnails and just see how little you can get away with. If I remember right the human face is capable of being simplified down to five lines and still be recognizable as a face.
>>
>>2355571
>>2355529
>>2355454
I don't give a fuck what life takes from you, draw every day or you lose your goddamn skill. Find a way to make a small bit of time just to get one drawing and 10 to 20 minutes at most, that's all would take for you to maintain your skill base. While you're in school just focus on sketching don't focus on finishing pieces so much, you don't have the time and I'll be completely honest with you and Lester it's studying something for liberal arts major whatever you're going to school for is probably going to give you a hell of a lot more than art will.

>>2355458
Probably the same reason why whenever I start getting horny I find weirder ways to masturbate and I normally would've, the moment you crank one out that drive dies. So try this don't crank one out for a few days and see if you can use that motivation that you normally be using the jerk it and see if you can apply that to drawing

>>2355789
Japan is so fucking pressed for animators, and they refuse the pale any form of a decent wage, that they ship it out over to Korea, China, the other Asian countries that basically do the bitch work. The most they do in a house is key framing, I believe they also do the touchups for Blu-rays and house to. How I remember the story of one's animation firm farming out to Korea and then Korea farm back out to Japan and they picked up just a bunch of fucking amateurs who did animation as a hobby.

Also because this is Japan I'm almost can assume that everything that they're doing is in-house programs, all of which are so fucking cumbersome that you have to be retarded the design a program in that way.

If you want to learn animation, the best way for you to do that right now would be with flash. You don't have to use motion tweening you can draw every single frame you want, but outside of flash every other program is professional and they don't have easy to find tutorials if even tutorials.
>>
>>2355829
Thank you for your response. I probably didnt clarify must question - asking about anime i meant *drawing*-anime-part not the part where you program parts together to play as animation.
>>
>>2355829
> I'll be completely honest with you and Lester it's studying something for liberal arts major whatever you're going to school for is probably going to give you a hell of a lot more than art will.

What?
>>
What are some good resources that go in depth about formal three-point perspective?
>>
Should I drink beer? im really depressed because of a girl. I've done about 4 portrait practice, about 10 gesture drawing ang watercolored a really bad one, and even colored on a coloring book. I can't calm down. Usually it does the trick.
>>
>>2355961
What is this, /r9k/? Just go to sleep, eat or take a walk then, do something else
>>
How can you get better, if you can't even draw to save your own life ?

Let's say that your goal is personal satisfaction:
'you just want to be proud of what you draw'.
>>
>>2356008
You suck because you haven't drawn enough to not suck. Be proactive and draw as much you can and you'll get there but not before you put in the work.
>>
>decide to fill a page with studies of some subject
>first one i do is the best from all of them

what the fuck? shouldnt it be the opposite?
>>
File: Katejina.jpg (141 KB, 660x500) Image search: [Google]
Katejina.jpg
141 KB, 660x500
Just a few new questions

>Drawing from Life

So you mean everything from shit like the book on my desk to pictures of random people in real life? and this is supposed to help you move away from symbol drawing right?

>Drawing from Imagination

This is after you've been grinding fundies and drawing still life right?

>Anatomy

Will drawing/studying pictures of muscle guys/gals help?

>Cross-hatching

Any tips on doing this digitally, does line weight help?
>>
File: qGGtefO.jpg (18 KB, 540x167) Image search: [Google]
qGGtefO.jpg
18 KB, 540x167
Erik Olson's Perspective courses had me rolling until Lesson Perspective 3 - Referencing, Scene Set-ups, and ellipses. At this point it feels like my brain just ceased up and stop grasping the concepts, or maybe I'm just really stupid and I never truely understood what he was talking about to begin with.

Nevertheless I've been trying to give this my all and I want to continuously give my all. But I doubt I'm going to fall into the projected time given by the AGURI course.

So with that completely in mind I would like to know if there is some type of material whether it be book or video that well give my brain some perspective on looking at perspective. Something that could make things easy to grasp so when I go back I don't have such a rough time.

Maybe another video I can watch that will make things easier if I come back to Erik Olson? Or am I just stupid when it comes to perspective.
>>
>>2356387
Technical/Architectural perspective is scary at first, but it's mostly mental. There's a lot of jargon, a lot of fancy techniques, etc. I resisted it a lot because of how geometrically intricate it can get, but honestly once you feel it out a little bit, it falls into place quickly. Take it as far as you can go, and don't be intimidated.

I used Drawing Essentials by Deborah Rockman, which goes from beginner to pretty intricate really fast, but it's incredibly rich with information. For advanced perspective, I'm currently working through Perspective : A New System for Designers, which is a pretty shitty book, but some of the ideas in there will take you to the absolute limits of what people can do.

Olson's stuff is comparable to Rockman's, and it's paced well.
>>
>>2356426
I know its scary, I'm already amazingly scared of it lol! But I don't want to shy away from this, but the mostly mental part is so like GAH!

Everything from measuring to one point perspective to 45 and 30 degree angles was easy and simple or rather just easy to understand and grasp. Cone of View and Film type was also easy to grasp because it was all very technical and exact. but as soon as imaginary things started happening things started to get jumbled for me.

One being the most jumbled was his diminishing guides. He created a location for where we wanted his Cone of Vision, and created a 30 degree angle from that point It was obvious that it would have easily gone off of his paper to actually hit the station point. Yet he somehow comes back further up the Center of view and kicks a 45 off where he WANTS it to hit. I feel like I'm missing something about the process
>>
What are some good sources to practice gesture drawing? I'm talking portfolios of poses.
>>
>>2354372

> bargue plate

I have acquired all 69 bargue plates. What do I do with them. I know I was told to copy them EXACTLY, but is there anything else to know about them or the appropriate process before I just start doing it?
>>
File: dtwe.jpg (379 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dtwe.jpg
379 KB, 1280x720
how long do you gesture sketch before you start getting good enough to refine?
>>
>>2356993

For instance, is this an accurate assessment of how to do them properly? I've read several methods and I'm not sure which is the right one.

http://www.davinciinitiative.org/uploads/3/8/6/4/3864305/bargueplate9-12.pdf

> this daunting task is actually for a 9-12th grade drawing class

fuck me fuck me FUCK ME FUCKING SHIT ARRRGAH
>>
>>2356998

http://www.cast-drawing.com/bargue.html

Here's another one.
Which process should I use?
>>
>>2351514
Are you me? I've never seen a post that accurately describes my exact problem, your end result looks exactly like something I'd end up with after inking.
>>
is it bad if you constantly resize your canvas? while youre still in the in sketch phase or have a decent amount of color blocking in and realize you want to extend one side a bit further
>>
What does blown out shadows mean?
>>
File: i spent way too much time onthis.jpg (154 KB, 1743x1319) Image search: [Google]
i spent way too much time onthis.jpg
154 KB, 1743x1319
is there a personal stock timer?
Err, what I mean is, a program that you can load images onto then set a timer to it (30, 60 etc etc) and it'll cycle through?
pic unrelated
>>
>>2357435
google
honey view image viewer
>>
File: 1778340.jpg (38 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
1778340.jpg
38 KB, 562x437
>>2357466
>honey view image viewer
fuck, why didnt I remember image viewer has a slideshow option which is basically a timer.

im fucking retarded.
>>
>>2353484
>>2354394
thanks for response
looking especially for rendering digitally, after i read some books on light and color
>>
>>2355938
Anyone?
>>
how do i do a study of another artists's style, in a way that would make my style closer to theirs? do you just sit down and try to replicate the picture exactly like you would a photo study?
>>
>>2356133
beginners luck? or you were freshest on the first one. don't think about it too hard

>>2356134
>So you mean everything from shit like the book on my desk to pictures of random people in real life? and this is supposed to help you move away from symbol drawing right?
yeah, so long as you actually LOOK at the stuff you draw instead of just lazily drawing your mental idea of what 'a book' looks like.

>This is after you've been grinding fundies and drawing still life right?
nah, do it alongside the fundies and still life shit. use your studies to supplement your imagination shit. there will never be an 'after', you will always have something more to learn.

>Will drawing/studying pictures of muscle guys/gals help?
if they are things you enjoy, it might be worth looking at them, but while cross referencing with anatomy diagrams to see what the artist is trying to portray. fanart can get things wrong sometimes.

>>2351514
this is because sketchy stuff is a little more ambiguous and less finished, so you're getting away with more. tons of artists have this problem.
>>
how does one apply what they've learned from studies?
>>
>>2357689
also, how does one "study"? what goes into a productive study session?
>>
>Want to learn to draw
>Afraid to resort to tutorials because my style will just become the tutorial maker's

CAN someone learn to draw with no tutorials/examples? I don't wanna look like my art style came off of wikihow or some shit.
>>
>>2357776
I'll take the "wikihow" as a joke (as you probably meant your whole post to be) and answer seriously.

Do you think the old masters learnt everything they knew in isolation without knowing anything about their historical and contemporary context? If you do, does that correspond with what you know about the history of arts and crafts?

Do you hold any contemporary artists relevant? Do you think they grew up in a barrel with no external influence? If you do, how are their works so closely related to whoever was prominent just before them?

Do you think you are a special snowflake whose cognition differs from everyone who came before you? Or are you just a lazy fuck who wants money and recognition without putting the work in?
>>
I want to focus on the human figure. How do you learn anatomy as an artist? So you can draw people with varations and not just the same body. I assume you don't do it the way a med student does. I mean the names of the muscles are not important for an artist right? More like how to draw them from different angles and how they change depending on the pose.
>>
File: JxuxRjq.png (701 KB, 1120x1280) Image search: [Google]
JxuxRjq.png
701 KB, 1120x1280
Does anyone know what teal line guys patreon or tumblr is?
>>
>>2357990
im pretty sure on his tumblr all he does is draw loli and borderline cp
>>
>>2358041
your point being?
>>
>>2358042
>>2357990
i figured if you didnt know his tumblr or paetron youre knowledge of him was what you say in his redlines here, which isn't really similar of his actually work.

it seems his tumblr is deleted as well
>>
>>2357776
style is just a habitual way of doing things. it happens by accident. if you're not even drawing anything at all yet, a style is the last thing you should be caring about
>>
>>2357804
draw the diagrams. then look at photos of people, and think of where the muscles/bones would be on the people if they had transparent skin, and draw them. same goes for life drawing, do life drawing and take an anatomy book and look for the landmarks on the skin. see if you can find one of those classroom skeletons to draw.
>>
>>2357776

>muh style

You've already failed.

Don't fucking fret over your style before you even know how to draw. It'll come as a consequence of your preferred workflow and your preferences, not some fluke of watching the wrong tutorial and catching his style like it's some kind of contagion.

Seriously. Don't even talk about 'your style' until you've been at it for a year or two. Eventually you'll notice people will say "I like your style" (or "your style is fucking garbage") without you even thinking about or cultivating it.
>>
>>2357672

Make straight copies and use their art for reference whenever you draw something. It also helps to make a copy of just a head for instance, and then try to replicate it without reference to see how much you remember. Then you glance at the reference every now and then to see where you went wrong. If you are analytical about it you will figure out what makes a certain style look like it does. I find making detail studies makes me more motivated because it isn't the same investment in time and effort as copying a whole picture and you still get a lot out of it.
>>
Did you ever draw something so hideous, you just thrashed it instantlyso as to not look at it anymore?
That's what happens when I try to draw faces, I can't for the life of me grasp the concept. My FWAP Loomis blooks looked horrible and head and hands aren't any better.
>>
>>2358194
yes

keep going
>>
>>2357672

Replicating it is part of it. I'd say for your first study or two do literal copies, think about what it is they're doing differently to what you do / what elements you like while you do it.

From there try and apply it to something else, like a different pose/angle/whatever. If you get really stumped try to find something similar by that artist and see how they did it.

There's usually a method somewhere, if you're copying an experienced artist they'll have consistency in their style that you can figure out.
>>
PLEASE ANSWER: How do i rebind my wacom tablets pen's buttons in Krita? I've already tried using the wacom properties .
>>
Why do I shake when I start drawing, atleast on digital? I'm not cold, I don't feel nervous, and I'm not around anyone, I'm just alone. It just happens when I start trying to warm up and such. It happens sometimes, my I feel more excited than nervous, like I'm anticipating something.
>>
Can someone direct me to some good sculpture references like Michelangelo or some shit?

Thanks
>>
>>2358046
>his tumblr is deleted
That's a shame. I know he draws lolicon, but I still want to study his style, I remember coming across his patreon awhile back but that might have been deleted as well.

Is there perhaps a place where someone has posted his stuff at least?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.