[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one promote OC? Say you like making fantasy drawings,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: 522_max.jpg (853 KB, 2400x1339) Image search: [Google]
522_max.jpg
853 KB, 2400x1339
How does one promote OC?
Say you like making fantasy drawings, where do you go to promote them?
When doing fan art, it's sort of easy, since there's loads of groups, forums and sites dedicated to the material that you're doing fan art from.

But when it's OC it's sort of a dead end, either your established fan base embraces it or it completely gets swept under the rug.
>>
Start making youtube videos, tutorials, speedpaintings, etc. This will attract wannabe-artist normies, and slowly you will grow an audience. Remember, the more often you upload, the better. Finally, promote yourself before you start your videos.
It's the the best way, sadly...
>>
>>2346959
I would suggest starting an Instagram and a Tumblr. For tumblr I've noticed that consistency and just being social are going to be your best bets. The threads here on 4chan are a good place to start building a following too, so promo it on here, but also on Tumblr threads in like /fa/ and /soc/ too.
>>
Fan art is easy to promote because it already has something that a general audience will connect with.

OC can be just as easy to promote, given you plant some sort of emotional connection to the public. Humor is - IMO - the easiest way to do this. Generic sci-fi/fantasy art is much, much more difficult to get people to care about. You have to do something to it that makes it significantly stand out if you want people to care about it.

For example, OP's image is a great example of technical skill, but the subject matter is simply not interesting to most people. However, replace the dragon with an over-sized house cat and I GUARANTEE it will get thousands and thousands of likes/comments/reblogs, if you share it properly.
>>
>>2350022
>replace the dragon with an over-sized house cat and I GUARANTEE it will get thousands and thousands of likes/comments/reblogs, if you share it properly.

The best advice in the thread
>>
>>2350022
You're on to something there, good advice.
>>
>>2350022
>However, replace the dragon with an over-sized house cat and I GUARANTEE it will get thousands and thousands of likes

Actually true. Noticed this with my 3D work as well.
>>
>>2350022
>However, replace the dragon with an over-sized house cat and I GUARANTEE it will get thousands and thousands of likes/comments/reblogs, if you share it properly.
Ah, the world we live in.
>>
>>2350022

I will laugh if OP does that and actually will get an avalanche of likes and reblogs. Month later, just before his speech on new graphical talents expo he'll silently wipe tear in his eye and mumble quietly: "fuggg x----D"
>>
File: JUSTDOIT.jpg (36 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
JUSTDOIT.jpg
36 KB, 1024x1024
>>2346959

Everyone on /ic/ should learn some basics of marketing

YOU, AS AN ARTIST, ARE BUSINESS

Who is your target audience?
>tumblrfags? designers? art directors?
What is your "product"?
>series of paintings? one drawing? story baords?
What do you want for your product?
>likes? money? jobs? fame?

it all comes down to knowing what do you actually want.
Then ask important question about yourself (see above) and just do it.
>>
>>2350489
you're right actually
holy fuck a person that gets it.
>>
>>2350066
>>2350409
>>2350451
>>2350464
>>2350470

Thanks. I glad it makes sense.

I wanted to note that catering to a target audience, like >>2350489 says, is in no way shameful or "selling out". However, that person says "just do it". But do what exactly?

To continue off their thoughts, I'll share what I do to get work. It is the most tried-and-true thing I've ever came up with that gets me work:

1. Develop work that is appealing to the market you want.
2. Research companies that sell things with illustrations like yours
3. Do some detective work and record the name and email address of the art/creative director. -KEEP THIS ALL ORGANIZED IN A SPREADSHEET-
4. Start an email CONVERSATION*

*Your first email should be aimed at not throwing everything on the table and making your pitch. Instead, just focus on getting them to simply respond. Keep it short, and end with an easy (not stupid) question to answer. Ending with a simple question gives them something easy to respond to.

The goal here is to start a series of marketing moves that will develop your exposure with a person over time. There are stats online claiming that most sales are made on the 5th to 12th contact with a person. Might be bullshit, but the idea is true. Never, ever, ever give up after the first email!*

5. If they don't respond, craft a follow up email and send a postcard.

6. Rinse and repeat until they respond. Do this for at least 1 new person everyday.

This is just one avenue of marketing your work for freelance commissions from real businesses. This method of repeat exposure works for all creative freelancing industries. Social media is another avenue, but takes much more patience. Asking for features on larger blogs is the fastest and most effective way to grow a social media following.

Source: Freelancing for 2 years - 1st year I got barely anything until I actively decided to hunt down art directors. And no, you don't need to see my work.

Good luck!
>>
>>2346959
>Say you like making fantasy drawings, where do you go to promote them?
elfwood
>>
File: lachs.jpg (68 KB, 396x388) Image search: [Google]
lachs.jpg
68 KB, 396x388
>>2350629
>>
>>2350626
Nice post anon, I will just add that, there is a nice book called "Becoming A Successful Illustrator " which have nice parts regarding managing yourself as a freelancer.
>>
>>2350464
Cats are cute man.
>>
>>2350629
Nigger, for years this was actually the only way.
Fucking newfags don't know the struggle of early social media.
>>
>>2350626

Another good post. Maybe besides art resources there should be some links in sticky about self-promotion, fundamentals of marketing and work management.

Btw, it's also strange that /ic/ is silent about graphical design even though it's probably 80% of jobs for art oriented people.
>>
>>2351799
>Btw, it's also strange that /ic/ is silent about graphical design even though it's probably 80% of jobs for art oriented people.

No surprise here. /gd/ exists, but this board has a fixation on sci-fi/fantasy illustration + concept art. The folks here don't want to explore other avenues of illustration. Most digital illustration communities online are like this.

My concern for most people here is that they're trying to get into sci-fi/fantasy illustration without truly comprehending how competitive it is. This type of illustration is - IMO - one of the most oversaturated fields of illustration for the amount of jobs out there. The supply far, FAR outweighs the demand.

Do you want to be a concept artist and have a healthy, steady, more reliable income? Mobile games are the way to go, but you'll likely need to learn other skills in UI & design.
>>
>>2346959

Who's the artist for this shit? It catches the eye tremendously.
>>
File: tumblr_nnmxigTUnm1tzf27to5_1280.jpg (224 KB, 1280x663) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnmxigTUnm1tzf27to5_1280.jpg
224 KB, 1280x663
>>2354613
some ching chong
>>
>>2346959

Nice painting, but the girl looks like she accidentally wandered in from a pixar film
>>
File: tumblr_nnmxigTUnm1tzf27to3_1280.jpg (274 KB, 1280x1436) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnmxigTUnm1tzf27to3_1280.jpg
274 KB, 1280x1436
>>2354721
I disagree.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.