[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art School Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Mimsstudiosnikecast.jpg (60 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
Mimsstudiosnikecast.jpg
60 KB, 400x358
Hey /ic/, I'm a senior in college right now currently living in Canada and seeking an art college not teaching shitty modern art, but technique, etc.
Does anyone know if there are any art schools in Canada worth it here?
If not, any ateliers?
Is it even worth it to spend the money to go to one?
If you've went to one, what were you experiences?
>>
Senior in Highschool* sorry
>>
>>2343278
What type of art do you want to create? Unfortunately there's not much in Canada, but your goals/interests will help decide where you attend.

I did Sheridan for illustration but left because it wasn't teaching technique and stuff and was very conceptual and editorial. Their animation program is okay, it's not as good as the reputation is but is better than other options in Canada.

For ateliers, there's the Academy of Realist Art in Toronto, but to be honest it's one of those places that are very close-minded and have a raging sight-size boner. You're gonna come out with a very very narrow set of skills if you go there, but for some people that's all they want, so check it out still and see if it works for you.

Other options like Emily Carr or ACAD won't teach what you want from what you described.

If you have money it's better to go to another country. For ateliers something like Watts or Atelier Stockholm or Grand Central Academy are good options. For something like concept art Art Center or Red Engine are better than what you'll find in Canada.
>>
An important thing to note is that literally no one will ever ask to see your art degree, so unless you like being in debt for no reason, ateliers are a good option, or even community colleges can be pretty good quality.

And there's always self teaching obviously. You need to build up a lot of willpower and the ability to critique your own work, but you can get very good on your own with the amount of resources on the internet.
>>
>>2343287
Not entirely true. I'm >>2343285 and I couldn't get a visa to the US for a job offer I got because I don't have a degree and at the time had less than 3 years of professional experience in the field. Also if you ever want a teaching position then a degree will make it much easier to get.

For freelance stuff though you're right in that I've never been asked about it. They give you the job on portfolio alone.

Also about your money point for ateliers, yes their tuition will be lower, but they are also not accredited so you can't get student loans for them.
>>
>>2343285
To be honest, I want to make videogames but I'm very much into art and want to be more on the art side of videogames. The schooling is just to increase my skill level. And (I thought) an art school would teach my a variety of things in a disciplined way. It looks like I might have to go to another country for the schooling I want (e.g. Calarts) or take computer science as a degree and learn art at home
>>
File: artschool.png (22 KB, 1276x424) Image search: [Google]
artschool.png
22 KB, 1276x424
I've been thinking of a way to help people tell if an art school they're going to is good or not so I've made a start with this image here.

Can we work together to add to this image showing what to look out for.

>what you should have in a good art school
>what to look out for to avoid a bad one
>>
>>2343326
just b careful fampai
>>
>>2343326
I would say the student work is one of the biggest indicators of the quality. If their grad show is full of really bad art or all stuff in a particular style you can figure out a lot about the program. Like FZD produces a hoard of people with identical portfolios, and while it may be "impressive" results for a year of school, I haven't really seen any of their students actually get work or go on to studio jobs or anything.

I'd also say that whether a school is good or bad has a lot to do with whether their goals and your goals align. The best atelier will not help an animator much.
>>
File: ocad.jpg (263 KB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
ocad.jpg
263 KB, 1279x720
OCAD is okay. I give it a 5/10. If you squeeze absolutely everything out of the school and supplement it with fantastic self-education, you will come out of it as a good artist and have a few connections.
>>
>>2343326
pretty generalized points, at least visit the school if you can and research teachers or go to a portfolio day from the school.
>>
>>2343278
Testing trip.
>>
>>2343353
filtered
>>
>>2343353
>donald trump
>>
File: trip.jpg (289 KB, 1482x877) Image search: [Google]
trip.jpg
289 KB, 1482x877
>>2343415
Sorry fampai. I've made some adjustments though.

>>2343362
I know you won't see this but pic related.
>>
>>2343488
>posts image about how anons are weebs
>weeb ass fucking name
ok
>>
>>2343326
>CCS has everything on the good side
Feels good man.
>>
>>2343278
>go to Art Renewal Center's website
>check out the list of schools
>?????
>Profit
>>
>>2343832
>he thinks ARC is trustworthy and has good taste
>laughinggirls.jpg
>>
>>2343543
Who are you callin' a weeb, boy?
>>
>>2343903
i really hate people who only care for the japanese culture because muh anime and use google translate to make grammatically incorrect phrases which they post on anonymous image boards and their vaporwave cover art. as a sjw tumblr memelord i am triggered and i am entitled to help
>>
>>2343722
Hey I go there!
>>
>>2343722
Eh i dunno, i live nearby, have visited a bunch and ccs seems weak on high-level fundamentals/technique. CCS is god-tier at giving you skills that are immediately relevant to any marketable art in the business world, but if you wanna be a portrait painter, it's very meh.
>>
>>2343278
move to singapoor or japan for cheap art schools

stay in canada for architecture
>>
Can you get into FZD if your noob or you gotta be somewhat experienced?
>>
>>2344630
you can enter bein a n00b
>>
>>2344572
projection
>>
File: 1433807193357.jpg (7 KB, 125x82) Image search: [Google]
1433807193357.jpg
7 KB, 125x82
>>2343488
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.