[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Charcoal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 440px-Charcoal_sticks_051907.jpg (36 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
440px-Charcoal_sticks_051907.jpg
36 KB, 440x330
Hello one and all.
My wife use to really enjoy using charcoal. But motherhood got in the way so she never really had time. But now the kids are older I'm trying to get her back into a hobby she once enjoyed.
I myself haven't a clue to what it entails and I'm looking for info on how I can make a "starter pack" to give to her in the hope she will pick up her hobby again.
So my question is what would do I need to start her off. An easel, charcoal etc. Any help would be great Anons.
Thank you in advance.
>>
>Hello one and all.

we're called /ic/. thanks for stopping by. feel free to check out the sticky, loomis, beginners and question thread anytime.
>>
Why thank you for the info Dick.
>>
>>2322868
hello, good that you're looking out for your wife.
i don't use charcoal that much, so there are probably some advanced tools i'm not aware of but here is what I understand that you need:

1. vine/willow charcoals (the long, thin ones in your picture)
2. compressed charcoal sticks (the darkest, rectangular charcoal)
3. a kneaded eraser (a kind of eraser that is squishy and malleable... you can tear it apart, squish it, etc)
4. a standard white eraser
5. some paper, i suppose.

That is all a hobbyist will really need to start (or start again). cheers!
>>
>>2322894
Thank you for the info. Much obliged to you.
Time to get shopping :)
>>
>>2322896
Not that anon, but you're gonna have to buy some fixative spray, too. With vine/willow charcoal, you could blow on the drawing and the whole thing would vanish. I recommend buying charcoal pencils.
>>
>>2322894
since charcoal drawing stuff isn't very expensive I'll add to this.

-large drawing board and clips

-charcoal pencils (some people like compressed charcoal in this format. They come in assorted hardnesses like graphite pencils, plus white)

-chamois for lifting/erasing vine charcoal marks

-knife/razor and sanding block for pencil sharpening and shaping

-tortillions and stumps for blending. You don't really want to use fingers b/c oils discolor and degrade paper over time.

-easel. This is not necessary if you're clever enough to figure out how to prop a drawing board upright, but it's nice.
>>
Thank you all for your positive replys.
Great info. I hope with these items will get her back into her love of art.
Thank you once again Anons :)
>>
File: 1443664254868.png (116 KB, 290x283) Image search: [Google]
1443664254868.png
116 KB, 290x283
>>2322868
>wife
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.