[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it cheating to use a 3D model for sketching bodies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
Is it cheating to use a 3D model for sketching bodies?
>>
>>2603981
>that shitty mesh
DELETE THIS
>>
If you enjoy making nothing but shitty, unnatural, deformed, non-dynamic posing and gestures, it's fine
>>
>>2604016
This. At least you'll fix anatomy and perspective issues, but you'll never learn.
>>
File: 1463890900454.jpg (1 MB, 2097x2961) Image search: [Google]
1463890900454.jpg
1 MB, 2097x2961
Hamada Yoshikazu does it on-stream, granted he just does it to speed-up his work since he's a mangaka but still
>>
>>2604143
>vanilla 2000s mangaka
into
>vanilla 2010s mangaka

weird progress
>>
>>2603981
NO RULES JUST TOOLS
>>
>>2603981

It's not, but 3D models help only as rough reference and when I mean rough I really mean it.

Biggest problem with 3D models is that they don't deform and don't capture motion. That's why you need to understand gesture/anatomy to know how to deform those shapes, which muscles flex and which are relaxed.

Moreover, 3D models are really generic like in OP and in reality people differ A LOT, see - pecks. 6-pack will look totally different on 5 different men and women, we don't have same definition or shape of the muscles.
>>
>>2604143

What a lazy piece of shit. He was lazy in 2008 and is lazy in 2015, what changed is that he started to photobash.
>>
>>2603981
if you made 3d model by yourself - than its fair use, another option is the same as tracing photos etc.
>>
no rules, only tools

just don't be some fool that does it using a model ripped from a commercial product, it'll be super obvious you are stealing the likeness of a model you don't own.

>>2604170
it seems like he just wants to spend most of the time putting detail into the surroundings. the characters are pretty meh, but his detail elsewhere seems to be where most of the effort went.

>>2604194
fair use is not "making it yourself", it's just using it in a way that is transformative and isn't out-right stealing the likeness of someone else's work.
also royalty free models are a thing.
>>
>"no rules just tools"

Symbol drawing is a tool
>>
>>2603981

You learn to draw because you want to draw. >/3/ is 2 blocks to the left.
>>
>>2604942
the topic is sketching from 3D models, not symbol drawing

people will symbol draw regardless of what the source material of their study is, whether it's real life or a 3D model rendered to look real. that's a completely different topic of discussion.

no rules, only tools
>>
>>2604952
they're talking about reference material for sketching, not making actual 3D models.

it is a perfectly good discussion to have here, stop being retarded.
>>
>>2604961
I'm not discouraging you from discussion, retard. Give me a good example of how this will aid you in sketching over drawing from life.
>>
>>2604959
3d mesh is a 3d symbol
mesh is a symbol
3d mesh is a tool
no rules just tools

symbol drawing is a tool

get over it weeb
>>
>>2604974
>>weeb
well we are on a chan imageboard yes. thanks for confirming you're a troll though. feel free to invite me over for a hate-fuck any time babe.
>>
>>2604973
sketching warped perspective or exaggerated FOV that you can't do IRL without taking photos using an assortment of fancy equipment.

sorry, but you really did just make that too easy.
>>
>>2604973
>>I'm not discouraging you from discussion
>>/3/ is 2 blocks to the left
Telling someone to go elsewhere is pretty discouraging if you ask me. Feel free to continue de-railing the thread though.
>>
>>2604942
No it isn't.
>>
>>2605036
someone tells the truth and you call it troll

typical
>>
>>2605039

You're going to need to elaborate more on 'warped perspective'. What can you achieve perspective wise with a 3D program than just drawing it manually? Are we talking about the human figure here or environments? And your usage of the word "sketching" is really confusing me here because we all know it takes time to set-up a model, and sketching to me is on location drawing or casual idea doodling, digital or not.

I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of fucking weebs who want the quickest solution to their problems though. That might be why you can't see the fault in your logic here.
>>
>>2605112

Calculating cast shadows on complex forms accurately is the primary benefit of 3D. It's arguably the most difficult thing to construct from imagination.
>>
>>2605116

If you're the guy I'm replying to stay on topic.
>>
>>2605126
how was that off topic?
>>
>>2605092
more like captain obvious devolves to pointing out the most obvious thing around them and somehow thinks that adds to what they're saying in any way.

i'd like to point out that the sky is blue.
please recognize me as the superior person in this discussion, and feel free to no longer make any more posts as my superior captain obvious statement makes any further points invalid.
>>
>>2605126
they're a different anon, but that statement they made is still true and somewhat holds relevance to the topic because lighting is still an important and tricky thing if you're using warped perspective and abnormal FOV.

setting up an environment with complex shadows, and unrealistic perspective or FOV is not something just any person can do IRL without having sufficient resources at their access.

there's nothing wrong with using 3D as an alternative for this.

if you can't even understand "warped perspective" i'm sorry but i feel no need to continue discussing it. do some searching. to help you out, fish-eye and orthographic are very tame examples, but the point here is that IRL reference is limited to the eyes in which you look at it through and the physical tools you have available at your disposal to make adjustments to your arrangement...while digitally constructed reference is not because you're manipulating things that don't exist and a free to do with it whatever you feel like.

and by "sketching" i meant drawing only the bare minimum required lines, like one might do for a life drawing class that spends no more than a few minutes on each pose. sorry if that's not the correct word to describe it.

if you're referring to more detailed works, eg. intricate details in ears, yes of course i agree that you should use real life references to learn that as well. that should always be an initial thing to consider, before diving into 3D references.

i would say that 3D references should come after real life references. use them once you're somewhat already skilled in fundamentals.
>>
>>2605364
>i'd like to point out that the sky is blue.
So you also admit symbol drawing is a productive tool, like 3d meshes?
>>
>>2605440
I don't think you understand what symbol drawing is.
>>
>>2605685
I don't think understand what a tool is
>>
Friendly reminder that you're all not going to make it.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.