[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ic/ do you ever draw fight scenes? If you do, where do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_o7e0uiV4ii1s112kao1_1280.jpg (750 KB, 902x1380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7e0uiV4ii1s112kao1_1280.jpg
750 KB, 902x1380
Hey /ic/ do you ever draw fight scenes? If you do, where do you get your ideas for poses, or references for them? I'd like to try drawing them in my free time when I'm not studying something.

Thank you, hope you're having a good day!
>>
You must have war in your soul and hear the trumpet of Bellona.
>>
File: Fighting_ref.jpg (345 KB, 1280x952) Image search: [Google]
Fighting_ref.jpg
345 KB, 1280x952
>>2600722
I don't draw a lot of fight scenes, but it has happened on a few occasions, it's pretty fun and challenging. I collect refs pics when they pop up and martial arts films are pretty good for them too. Also, some mango-artists are a good inspiration.
>>
>>2600722
I hate fight scenes because they're too flashy and unrealistic most of the time.

Real fights are sloppy and quick most of the time.
>>
>>2600744
>Real fights are sloppy and quick most of the time.

Depends on the narrative I think. If you want something realistic, short and dirty can be fine. If you want some superhero stuff, it should be more flamboyant.
Also fiction can be unrealistic if the result is more interesting.
>>
>>2600748
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Maybe it's just me wishing there was more realism in fighting.
>>
>>2600741

Do you have more of these images? They're nice!
>>
File: JacobTwoTwoDad.jpg (13 KB, 174x181) Image search: [Google]
JacobTwoTwoDad.jpg
13 KB, 174x181
>>2600722
>tfw knows martial arts and already has a large visual library for fight moves
>>
>>2600744
That's because nobody records real fights, its usually just videos of blacks flailing at each other that ends up on youtube
>>
>>2600874
This guy is imply white boys can fight lol.
>>
>>2600874
look up 'mexican fight' on that ol jewtube sometime
>>
I'm animating one right now. "It'll be simple," I thought. "It's not even 3 seconds."

Months later,
>>
Ancient sculptural friezes

Pergamon altar is a good set.
>>
>>2600722
In no particular order, and assuming you mean melee fighting only
>martial arts movies
>Frazetta and similar illustrators
>Manga like Berserk, Vagabond, Vinland Saga
>my own experience with martial arts*
>youtube videos of street fights, fencing matches, sports fighting, etc*
>youtube videos of people holding martial arts seminars or just talking about various fighting techniques *
>Fighting games
>old war stories*

*these really aren't ideal for illustration purposes. Realistic fighting rarely looks good**, and good-looking fighting is rarely realistic, so if you're just worried about having it look cool or a good composition or conveying impact, you should probably not care too much. I'm just the sort of autist who cares.

**most importantly, real fighters intentionally try to make their motions hard to read, whereas an illustrator is trying to make things easy to read.
>>
File: kamp0270[1].jpg (88 KB, 834x535) Image search: [Google]
kamp0270[1].jpg
88 KB, 834x535
>>2602620
Oh, I forgot one
>old fencing treatise illustrations. You can find a lot of them at wiktenauer
>>
File: 1458583221299.jpg (1 MB, 1500x2105) Image search: [Google]
1458583221299.jpg
1 MB, 1500x2105
>>2602636
>old fencing treatise illustrations

I love these as well.
>>
File: 1455316013232.png (146 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1455316013232.png
146 KB, 500x281
>>2600722
Sambo and UFC highlights are usually nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJd9gvUL4G4
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.