[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Perspective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
Do I need to be skilled at maths to understand perspective and vanishing points?
My head burns whenever I look at pics like the pic related, or try to read a tutorial. My brain goes blank.
Is this something you understand eventually after drawing from references without understanding the logic? Sorry for whining a lot but I'm afraid I'm stuck at drawing people from one point of view for eternity.
>>
>>2600193
Maths? Really? I gave up on maths after learning fucking calculus.

(Almost) Everything you need to know is:

>Parallel lines ain't parallel.
They converge into a vanishing point.

> Horizon line is always on the eye-level.

> All vanishing points go to the horizon line (unless they don't).

Read Perspective made Easy + Perspective for Comic Book artists. But actually read the books!
>>
>>2600206
Thanks, anon. I have actually ordered Perspective for Comic Book Artists already, will get the other one, too.
>>
>>2600193
Pictures like those can seem intimidating, but perspective is easy to understand once you get the jargon out of the way.

All that image is really showing is that there's a bunch of cuboids (basically 3D rectangles) that are all the same, but LOOK different because of their placement in the image. If you extend the parallel lines of these shapes (which is what the image is doing with those extended lines), they'll eventually (appear to) meet. Where they appear to meet is the vanishing point.

To wrap your head around this, a good exercise is to try drawing various cubes at different angles and extending their lines. I know it's a difficult concept to understand but it's really important and honestly quite intuitive once you "get" it.
>>
id honestly suggest reading perspective made easy. it lays everything out in an easy to understand format. and teaches you the basics of perspective drawing and how to approach it.

after that switch to scott robertson's how to draw. if you think perspective is a headache now. wait til you read that book
>>
File: BenderTheOffender.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BenderTheOffender.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>>2600193
No. All you need to know about perspective is that THINGS GET SMALLER AS THEY GET FARTHER AWAY, everything else derives from this. Vanishing points are just a tool you use to have consistent perspective in your picture. An object's vanishing point is determined by it's orientation. The horizon line, or eye level is the distance in which the ground and your eye level (eg. 5 feet) become indistinguishable.

Two cubes side by side, in the same orientation will share a vanishing point, on the viewer's eye level line. If you rotate one of these cubes clock wise, this will change its vanishing point but the point will still remain on the viewer's eye level line. If you now tip this cub forward the vanishing point will no longer be on the viewer's eye level line because the cube is no longer parallel to the ground like the viewer is. In this case you'd have to project an imaginary eye level line above the viewer's eye level line for that cube's vanishing point.

3 point perspective is only needed when you have tall objects in your picture. It is not always relevant since it is so subtle, but you need to calculate it for blocky objects like buildings. 3 point perspective is subtle because we humans have two eyes side by side, so naturally we see more horizontally than vertically, therefore 3 point only really becomes important when you are drawing the perspective of someone looking up.

4 point perspective doesn't really exist because the ground is in the way, and humans don't have enough 360 degree vision for it. If you are drawing a picture of a perspective looking down a cliff you'd use 3 point for example.

As a helpful tip; if you can see the top of the object then the eye level is above it, if you can see the bottom of the object then the eye level is below it, if you can't see the top or the bottom then the eye level is in the middle of the object, and it is impossible to see bother the top and the bottom of an object at the same time.
>>
>>2600206
What if you're looking straight down? Is that a horizon line?
>>
>>2600262

Means the horizon line is out of view (the picture plane). There are still vanishing points though.
>>
File: 1399683700084.gif (156 KB, 260x187) Image search: [Google]
1399683700084.gif
156 KB, 260x187
>>2600193
>horizon line
>indoors
>>
>>2600311
You can get the vanishing points indoors tho
>>
>>2600311
the horizon line means eye level where your eye is to the picture thus it is possible to get the horizon line indoors.
>>
>>2600344
*eye IN the picture* correction
>>
Who cares, just whip out google sketchup for accuracy. Even the greatest artist still playing a lot of guessing games.
>>
>>2600348
>sketchup will fix my problems for me
>>
>>2600311
>i dont understand the basics of perspective
>>
>>2600311
>can't see the horizon because you're indoors
woah
>>
>>2600265
Wow, that actually helped me out a bit. I've been confused on the concept of picture planes.
>>
Whatabout the more complicated perspective taught in Scott Robertson's book? Evrryone recommends the book a lot but currently I can hardly see much application for those advanced perspective other than technical drawings.
>>
>>2600463
>but currently I can hardly see much application for those advanced perspective other than technical drawings.

Actually this. It's a great book, but only if you want to be a designer or make technical drawings. The other one is more useful for the average drawfag.
>>
File: 1466766237355.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1466766237355.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
One thing I don't understand how to do in perspective, how do I rotate a box/object? Without any autistic methods, like, how does kimjunggi do it? Or krenz? Just to eyeball it but not fuck up.
>>
>>2600691
https://youtu.be/yHq4fiSW53w
>>
I can draw something as simple as this, but when it comes to adding people, tables, chairs etc everything goes to shit.
>>
>>2600701
why? it is pretty much the same
>>
>>2600701

That perspective looks like shit tho, warp it with a wide angle lens, real life doesn't have absolute verticals forever and just one vanishing point and just one direction for every object in the scene.
>>
>>2600684
Cool, thanks for the confirmation. My aim is pretty much making nice illustration only, so I guess I will put it aside for now.
>>
>>2600707
As retarded as it sounds, I have a hard time placing the feet on the ground.
>>
>>2600738
Just think of them as bricks then
>>
>>2600777
Not him, but is there a good book about specifically constructing figures in perspective?
>>
File: loomis.jpg (69 KB, 582x797) Image search: [Google]
loomis.jpg
69 KB, 582x797
>>2600780

Can only think of >>>/loomis/
>>
>literally box in perspective
>my head burns

wtf is wrong with kids those days. Have you even had any geometry in school ?
>>
File: tumblr_mjh6hhF7wl1s6qc3go3_250.gif (653 KB, 245x178) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjh6hhF7wl1s6qc3go3_250.gif
653 KB, 245x178
How can I understand things like extreme foreshortening, or like, when things are obscured behind each other in perspective? I'm having so much trouble making things appear "3-D". Also how do you go about rotating complex volumes in space and keeping them consistent? I'm just so confused and sick of not being able to "get it". I feel like I tirelessly study this stuff but it never seems to click. Pic related ,I want to understand how to animated form this well.
>>
>>2600691
krenz eyeballs it, you just have to practice a ton
https://youtu.be/mk84EpHmZKQ
>>
>>2600193
Get yourself a book called "Perspective Made Easy". It eases you in to this type of shit and its low threshold allows anyone to understand how perspective works on a fundamental level.
>>
>>2603890
Volumes are made of planes. Try drawing flat planes in perspective and then move to boxes.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.