[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's something It's been bothering me. Even while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1467569059909.jpg (36 KB, 371x410) Image search: [Google]
1467569059909.jpg
36 KB, 371x410
There's something It's been bothering me.
Even while I am confident on drawing from imaginations, it still doesn't reach the level when I try to copy some photo reference.

is this normal?

does all the masterpieces in old master paintings were done using models and props?

like caravaggio paintings were done with camera oscura and all that shit?
>>
It's pretty common, yes. It's natural for images produced with a real-life reference to look better than stuff produced without. That's why there is so much emphasis on studying references. As your skill increases, there could well be less of a gap, but all the old masters used life models.
>>
File: ARRef.jpg (296 KB, 700x988) Image search: [Google]
ARRef.jpg
296 KB, 700x988
Alex Ross uses live models for everything he does and he's constantly regarded as the best Marvel comic artist.

Stop giving a fuck about "pride"

https://www.google.no/search?q=alex+ross&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmpb2yoezNAhUGECwKHWrPAB0Q_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=979#tbm=isch&q=alex+ross+models&imgrc=3u0OJLYBSGcvrM%3A
>>
>>2598096
>does all the masterpieces in old master paintings were done using models and props?

not always props, but many of them did use models. But they could draw convincingly without them in many cases.
>>
how do you avoid it looking the same as the photo reference if you copy though? i mean sure if you freehand it will never be exactly the same but can you really take credit for it
>>
>>2598343
unless you're tracing it wont look like a traced photo.
>>
>>2598096
You learn from copying. You apply that knowledge to make your art from imagination. That simple.
>>
>>2598208
There is nothing wrong with models and referenced work m8

And to answer OP, yes, many used models and references.
>which ones?
I don't know but I'm sure all of them did some work with models or still life. I mean, that stuff is as old as art itself
>>
>does all the masterpieces in old master paintings were done using models and props?
until the end of romanticism and impressionism mostly yes
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.