[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A male friend of mine is looking for a nice tatoo to make. He
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: Base.jpg (13 KB, 236x413) Image search: [Google]
Base.jpg
13 KB, 236x413
A male friend of mine is looking for a nice tatoo to make. He asked me to help him with the drawing, knowing that I can draw a bit.

I've never done something like this before tho, and I don't really think I am talented enough to make something great, but he keep institing that he want something made my be.

Pic releted is a drawing he likes and wants me to change and improve. He want it to be more strong, masculine and aggressive. Any suggestion on how to make it look better?
>>
Raise the contrast by eliminating a large portion of the gradients and/or refine the lines and make it less curvy using sharpened and slightly exaggerated angles.

>i do tattoo commissions all the time, be prepared to tweak it and discuss your work with people who either have no real idea of what they want and/or how to articulate it
>>
File: OldFox3.jpg (372 KB, 1744x1920) Image search: [Google]
OldFox3.jpg
372 KB, 1744x1920
>>2597962
Well I don't have idea too of how to make this things works. I have never worked on a tatoo before and I don't even consider myself a decent drawer lol.
Anyway, he was thinking about something tribal, so I tried this way. What do you guy thinks? Looks better?
>>
>>2597970
Well, your friend would likely have a differing opinion of it than us, but since you asked, Smooth your outlines and make the flow a bit more accessible. Try not to over do it, but also play around with it until you have a design that quickly registers to a viewer that they are looking at a fox.
>>
>>2597980
It's boring to study, but doing a shitload of flash art helps boost your skillset more than you might anticipate.
>>
File: fox31.jpg (9 KB, 236x303) Image search: [Google]
fox31.jpg
9 KB, 236x303
>>2597982
Reference.
Note that minimalism works better when you pay attention to the right areas.
Hope you create something your friend likes anon.
>>
A tattoo design needs to look good even when faded, blurred, stretched and wrinkled. Try putting your image through a gaussian blur, reducing the contrast and distorting it a bit. If it still looks good, then it might be a good tattoo design.

Avoid narrow lines, subtle shading and anything that relies on strong colours.

Try to take the body part that it is going onto into account. The human body is not a flat surface. Break out you favourite image editing software and try to project it onto a photo of your friend.

If in doubt, try talking to a tattooist. Most of them are actually pretty keen to talk tattoo design so long as they aren't busy and there's a good chance they will get the job in the end.
>>
Incidentally, asking you to design his tattoo probably means he wants to have sex with you.
>>
>>2597990
Thk for the advice, i was actually thinking about semplify the drawin and increase the negative white space.

>>2597980
This is still a draft, so lines still have to be smoothed and create nice curves and arcs.. What do you mean to make the flow more accessible?

>>2597995
I'll try to do it, thanks for the tip!

>>2598005
Maybe. Should I put a phallic reference inside the drawing lol?
>>
>>2598028
By making the flow more accessible, I was referring mainly to the swirl in the fox's tail which seemed to hinder the sleek nature of the original piece.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.