[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here had to force themselves to learn how to draw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: 051_mile_high_train_station.jpg (899 KB, 950x1301) Image search: [Google]
051_mile_high_train_station.jpg
899 KB, 950x1301
Does anyone here had to force themselves to learn how to draw humans (or whatever you wanted to draw)? I'm more or less OK with non-live stuff (pic related), or at least I try to learn and improve the parts that I suck at. I've been doodling mechanical stuff/landscapes since I was a kid. But I can't bring myself to seriously learn anatomy to save my life. I started so many times and never went past basic skeleton anatomy, proportions and basic portraits. live stuff is so flexible and shape-shifting that it gets me all confused and nervous, so I go back to drawing my little buildings and trains and shit.
I actually want to draw humans well, but it's just so overwhelming.

It's not a thread about motivating me, I start over and over every few months before dropping it again and again. It's a thread about asking if anyone had an experience of actually pushing through and not dropping it on his 100th attempt.
>>
>>2596190
Huh, I don't get it anon. You can't draw humans? But you can draw architectural stuff? So you can draw forms, just use that. It really shouldn't be too hard if that is your actual level skill in the pic. Just use that knowledge to abstract the human figure into simpler shapes. Start with that and as you get comfortable start adding more details etc. There are a huge number of books that explain this process. Studying anatomy so you actually understand what you are seeing will fix a lot of that as well. You will understand all that "flexible shape shifting" stuff because you'll know the muscles and bones that are creating those shifts.
>>
File: stuff.png (434 KB, 695x596) Image search: [Google]
stuff.png
434 KB, 695x596
>>2596191
That's what I'm doing at the moment. The problem is that I hate learning how to draw anatomy, but I want to draw anatomy. I had no such problem with architecture/landscape/mechanical.

Since I asked people to share their struggle stories, I guess this thread is motivational in a way, shit. Don't like being in this whiny mood, I should just suck it up and draw.
>>
>>2596193
Hah, you're the total opposite of me.

I feel like I have an okay grasp on humans, but architecture/landscapes are beyond me.
>>
File: 042 Rustaveli_s.jpg (491 KB, 1000x592) Image search: [Google]
042 Rustaveli_s.jpg
491 KB, 1000x592
>>2596195
I noticed that's often the case on /ic/. To me it feels so strange, what can possibly be hard about drawing a bunch of cubes and adding a bunch of windows/wheels to them. Something tells me you feel the same in the opposite direction.
>>
>>2596193
while you definitely have skill, i think you're being too technical with this. try quicker, looser drawings to get a feel of that "live" element that you're having trouble grasping. try drawing from pictures of real people instead of deconstructing the skeleton underneath.
>>
>>2596198
have you done a landscape from a big high up perspective? maybe some forest and mountains and small suburb houses
drawing figures is like that, 90% of the anatomical information is obscured, you just draw an approximation. mastering anatomy is a lifetime study
>>
File: IMAG0066.jpg (683 KB, 762x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0066.jpg
683 KB, 762x1500
>>2596201
I try to do a health mix of both, but generally I'm a fan of starting from strong foundations and moving on only when I can get them right in my sleep.
>>
>>2596208
strong foundations are good and i think you're getting somewhere, but this is still too technical. they look rigid /because/ you're thinking architecturally. try 1 minute gestures, and think in terms of flow, force, weight. look up force drawing by mike mattesi on youtube, it's pretty enlightening.
>>
File: tatar.jpg (788 KB, 1000x1368) Image search: [Google]
tatar.jpg
788 KB, 1000x1368
>>2596216
Thanks for the recommendations.
>>
how'd you learn how to do architecture/what books did you study from?
>>
>>2596217
i think you can get there bro, you already basically know how to draw, or at least know how to learn to draw something. it's ok to be frustrated and feel like dropping it, as long as you get back up again. it's all part of practice.
>>
>>2596223
autism and a ruler
>>
File: dllhost_2016-07-10_09-34-42.png (1 MB, 1178x906) Image search: [Google]
dllhost_2016-07-10_09-34-42.png
1 MB, 1178x906
>>2596223
First I just practiced drawing squares and other simple forms in perspective, when I got that down, I just started drawing architecture/vehicles. They're just squares in different compositions. To make details I just divided them into smaller parts, like sculpting. About that time I read Successful Drawing (well, I mean, I skipped the philosophy, it was the schematics that interested me) and it taught me all I needed to know about more advanced building, like drawing shadows properly or correctly spacing things in perspective. After that I just started drawing from life. Trying not to just copy what I see, but to actually recreate it in "3d" on paper.

But the principle was always the same: instead of composing a human with many small shapes, you draw a big shape and then cut it to get what you need.
>>
File: firefox_2016-07-10_09-37-02.png (566 KB, 1452x825) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-07-10_09-37-02.png
566 KB, 1452x825
>>2596233
>>
>>2596190
i remember you. love your work dude
miyazaki was also a hardsurfacefag who couldn't into humans so he created a simplified character style for himself.
play to your strengths basically. it seems like you're more comfortable constructing things than doing something gestural; if you need to start by turning a figure into a bunch of boxes in perspective, go for it. anatomy may seem overwhelming at first but the fundamental rules never change. it might be a struggle but you can do it.
>>
File: tumblr_n02p104jrG1rvbf30o1_500.jpg (80 KB, 500x744) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n02p104jrG1rvbf30o1_500.jpg
80 KB, 500x744
Draw human figures with one line 500 times
>>
>>2596526
Omfg that seems like madness
how do you do that the first time?

if for whatever reason you break your line you start all over?
I might try it (not op btw)
>>
>>2596528
Well yeah in idea scenario. Obviously you can cheat little bit when you do it for first time. But the ENDGAME should be for you to quickly do correct shape of human figure on first try. The point is to compress your actual knowledge of anatomy into fluid sexy gesture. It teaches you to simplify object for visual clarity (aka it forces you to draw only what is important) and to keep you shit from being rigid. Little exaggeration doesn't matter if you basic anatomy is right. Keep trying and come back after 100 of these for feedback
>>
>>2596526
Nice idea
>>
>>2596190
It seems like you hate learning anatomy because you have an awareness of how bad you are at it, which you didn't have when you were first learning.
>>
File: SteveHuston.jpg (52 KB, 422x500) Image search: [Google]
SteveHuston.jpg
52 KB, 422x500
Try reading Huston's book, OP. I think he does a great job teaching the foundations with it. Memorizing the exact forms of the pelvis is not all that important in comparison.
>>
Hey OP, still have your imgur album of all your stuff saved from a 2 year old post on /v/. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>2596624
L I N K

P L E A S E
>>
>>2596190

I felt kind of the same bruh. I drew objects and dogs and portraits but only after a year of drawing did I start to tackle humans.
>>
>>2596208

not bad, senpai. Your skills from drawing other things have definitely transferred over, but as the other anon said you gotta study gesture and let go of rigid proportions and forms for a while
>>
>>2596190
Yeah, OP, I feel your pain. Buildings, cars, trains, even foliage when necessary? Check. People, animals? Can't even. That early training in machine shop drafting served me well and fucked me over at the same time. I know it's all in my head but I try and then quit in disgust, over and over.
>>
>>2598387
It's
>IN THE OLD BOOK THREAD
>>
I can imagine you being a set designer in Hollywood, inventing the buildings other people's characters would wander through. Ever do a steampunk factory,or a spaceport,or a castle? Maybe learning figure drawing will help you imagine who would be strolling through your magnificent scenes,but maybe see them as you would your buildings:let their forms suggest their functions. Quick sketch the bodies in a light hand,and add clothes and expression as so much scaffolding. Flesh follows rules of architecture in much the same ways as buildings do.
>>
>>2596190
how do I learn to draw like this
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.