[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any success stories about people who started art late
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: 198_Rennie_Self_Portrait.jpg (17 KB, 198x273) Image search: [Google]
198_Rennie_Self_Portrait.jpg
17 KB, 198x273
Are there any success stories about people who started art late and still got really good? Apart from Van Gogh, though I do love him
>>
ssssssssbump
>>
>van gough
>sponged off family
>went crazy
>killed himself
>success story

way to aim low /ic/
>>
>>2594042
my point was that he painted his first painting when he was like 27
>>
>>2594059
and he has been drawing since when?

also we leave in a faster, more competitive world now
>>
>>2594005
Look anon. Either you're gonna do it or you aren't. Why do you want examples? If yer looking for excuses you already have them. Stop wasting our time.
>>
>>2594059
yeah but he was appreciated after he died you dumbass. Do what you like and success will come
>>
>>2594066
"The early works of Vincent van Gogh is a group of paintings and drawings that Vincent van Gogh made when he was 27 and 28, in 1881 and 1882, his first two years of serious artistic exploration."
>>2594071
that is so far away from my point.
>>2594069
whats the matter with you people? im genuinely just interested in people who got into art late and still achieved a ton
>>
>>2594104
>and still achieved a ton
but Van Gogh didn't?
>>
>>2594005
>>2594104
There is no one, once you reach 25 years old you begin to rapidly lose Neuroplasticity, you will never make it.
>>
>>2594104
he did, but i just already knew about him
>>2594193
im 18 and have 5+ yrs training
>>
>>2594104
Listen, here is the thing.

Why you want to see examples of people making it starting late?
Do you want to feel good about yourself that you still have time to make it?
Do you want a reason to slack of seeing how other could make it even if they started late?

Feeding your irrational fears of failing with "success stories" may push into direction that might not be beneficial to your arts
The only important things is that they DID their art, so should you. Age of artist shouldn't play role in judging quality of their art,
since it is something you might be biased towards/against when judging the quality.
>>
>>2594223
>5+ years training

High school art classes are not training
>>
kandinsky started when he was 30
>>
>>2594005
I wouldn't say he's gotten "gud" but I think Firez has gotten pretty decent and he started in his late 20s I think.
>>
>>2594640
that explains why his work is shitty
>>
>>2594005
more starved bodies than success stories chan
>>
>>2594005
I kind of get what you feel anon (or at least I assume you do since you've made this thread)
I realised that art is my thing at the age of 19. Before that I wasn't serious about anything at all, which, with all honesty bothers me still. Like I've wasted my adolescence on just fucking around and reading about all these artists- great and not really good at all, who literally crawled out of their mother's womb with a pencil in their hand doesn't really make me feel any better. Feels like a late start
But with all honesty who gives a damn whether we're late to the party or not, we're here now and that's all that matters. If it bothers you this much then just make something up, no one cares enough to actually look it up and start digging in your past. I think we should be glad that we managed to find our passion, even if it took us more time. Think about all these folks that go through their entire life never putting their heart into anything, that's worth crying over
Besides, as couple of anons have pointed out already, I don't think that age matters when it comes to art. It's not like career in military or sports- sure you can start running at the age of 20, (or even 40, 50, 60, whatever, the point is it's never too late for anything), but don't even think about going pro unless you've been busting your ass since grade school. So that's something to be glad about as well I guess
The point is just fucking draw and stop worrying. Do you love it? Then just keep going
>>
File: 1440534353298.jpg (27 KB, 515x600) Image search: [Google]
1440534353298.jpg
27 KB, 515x600
Very bleak thread.
>>
>>2594005
>mfw faglords who keep asking this question will still be asking it 10 years later when they could have started now instead of worrying about stupid shit like this
does it really fucking matter? just do your best, you won't give a fuck how shit you are when you're dead
>>
His mate did quite well, G.

The majority are often disregarded

I read somewhere success is best later in life...
>>
Monet.
>>
>>2594896
He never missed a meal come off it
>>
>>2594901
What?
>>
File: 1457401648576.jpg (4 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1457401648576.jpg
4 KB, 250x250
>>2594903
>>
>>2594906
I don't get it.
>>
>>2594908
me either
>>
A bit off topic, but Da Vinci got stuck in a art rut in his mid 20's. He just drew criminals who were hanged until he got to his 40's. Then he made it. Point is, he just kept striving until he made it. Every art genius started with picking up the pencil and doing something with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 500x342
>>2595216
Nice madeup story family
He drew this when he was 21
>>
>>2595226
Not him but that doesn't look impressive at all, you can barely even make out what half the crap in the drawing is supposed to be.
>>
>>2595226
Hitler's rejected art school entrance paintings looked better than this
>>
File: 07.-Rodin_LAge-dAirain.jpg (1 MB, 2683x4134) Image search: [Google]
07.-Rodin_LAge-dAirain.jpg
1 MB, 2683x4134
My nigga Rodin
>>
File: carpenter.jpg (21 KB, 344x501) Image search: [Google]
carpenter.jpg
21 KB, 344x501
>>2594066

feels good that he drew this garbage at 27 (yes, really) and I'm better than him and much younger.

But he advanced pretty quickly, and became van gogh. Honestly he wasn't the most *technically accomplished* artist but he made up for that with his ingenuity and intelligence. He was good as a technical artist and top tier as a thinker.
>>
>>2595226

mediocre
>>
>>2594604
ive had private lessons you wally
>>
>>2594005

No, only some artists making naive art. You are doomed to mediocricity and will never make it if you haven't started since high-school. Give up now before flushing your life down the toilet.

t. 27 year old who just starts with his first drawings and paintings
>>
I don't get what are you supposed to lose with age? Fundamentals are fundamentally simple, the creative part comes form sticking a couple of more things together and the eye comes from looking and doing stuff. Sure, you may never come into the true art (or whatever) territory but it has nothing to do with starting late.
>>
>>2594773
This right here you big gayboi OP.
>>
>>2595527
Well, you lose free time really, when you're like 25+ you're expected to act like proper adult, getting married, working 8+ hours earning six figures, so you can buy shit you don't need, and probably will never use due to working always.

I say fuck that shit, I do what I want
>>
>>2595535
>I say fuck that shit, I do what I want

How do you support yourself?
>>
No anon, only if you start at 12 and are a prodigy by 15 you'll get somewhere, as with any other skill in life
>>
>>2597046
Not buying useless shit and getting a wife that won't work and will divorce you after a couple months

Don't know if this is doable in America tho
>>
Someone told me Andrew Loomis started about 19, and was so bad that had a teacher tell him to quit.

According to story he doubled the effort, tried hard to fix every mistake, and he got gud. The end

Anyone can confirm? Source?
>>
Loosing neuroplasticity is a meme.
Prove me wrong with articles published in scientific journals.
>>
>>2597100

your attitude is cute but you basically will never accumulate any of your own land or property and thus will always be a serf cucked by the government you depend on
>>
>>2594005
on Kakukaku Shikajika the sensei started at 29
>>
>>2594773
This.

Seriously just get in a regular habit of drawing and studying. If you stick with it you will eventually get good. That's it. You don't have to be a certain age for it to be "worth it" to create art, just fucking do it. How fast you get good is up to you and how much/how often you work at it, but it will only come to fruition of you never give up and keep going.

I also think that if you're too preoccupied with "making it" (esp by a certain age or w/e bullshit) that you'll probably never make it. If you enjoy making art, do it for that reason. Even studies will be enjoyable if you adjust your mindset. Have a growth mindset and never let go of it.
>>
>>2597280
im over 30 and from personal experience everything is harder to learn now. talk to older people, they will tell you the same. i'm def past my peak.

i'm still learning new stuff every day and getting better

bigger reason is not neuroplasticity though, as pointed by anon here >>2595535
>>
>>2594646

Started at 28

4 years ago

http://firez-da.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=120

Now

http://firez-da.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0
>>
not drawing but:

>around 30yo
>can only beat some chords on guitar
>learn a difficult classical song
>by memory because can't even read music

i just thought i might never do this, but who cares, i'll give it a try
>>
>>2597046
>>2597100
Not him but doing lewd commissions + frugal spending + living in a 3rd world country

200$ can last me 1 month rather comfortably. It also helps that art is my only hobby. I don't vidya, tv, movies, etc.
>>
>>2597300
>accumulate
not hard to guess you're both american and a /pol/tard
>>
>>2594005
Edwin Austin Abbey started post 40. However, he did have some training with Sargent, which would make anybody good.
>>
>>2597459
Well abbey started painting after 40. He had been working at a pro level in the realms of linework illustration and tone since he was very young.
>>
Anyone remember the guy from the CA.org forums? Baron something, I believe. He started at 35 and became a solid pro in a few years.
>>
>>2597046
By not being stupid? Most of people buy stupid shit they don't need, or go and try to have lush life, when they know they can't afford it. I live with my parents and before you say
>Living with parents
I live in 3rd world country where average salary is 280-300 Euro, and trying to get my own apartment or even rent is ridiculously expensive, of course I lend some money to my parents since they pay a lot of taxes, but I save a lot as well.
I am 22. and I work as computer technician, its fine job and I like it, but I do art on the side, will I ever "make it" who fucking knows I started when I was 20

I do not own a car, I have a bike, I do not go out to restaurants, I pretty much eat chicken breast my whole life, I don't have gf nor I plan on marrying either, those are just distractions, you do sometimes feel lonely, but I hop online and play some vidya, and feel fine again.

And I don't understand people who say if you didn't start at X age you will never make it, because, your day-job will make it impossible or whatever, but those people never though that a lot of people started when they were attending school and shit, that is like a day job at one point students spend in school 8 hours a day, they just don't get paid, and a lot of people who started whilst they were in school "made it"

Age is fucking pointless, you can start at 10,20,30,40,50 whatever and still be good, whether you will make it or not? Who fucking knows, just try and see where that road leads you
>>
>>2594005
That one black dude who started the "flash me" meme
>>
File: 1466753107255.jpg (146 KB, 554x564) Image search: [Google]
1466753107255.jpg
146 KB, 554x564
Well i started to give a shit 4 years ago and I have a job and a household I provide for. 27 years old.

It's really about your interests as much as it's about how much you practice. I always loved visual media. Games, films, books. All these things nourish not only your psyche as an artist but your ability to come up with things and visualize them, making them easier to illustrate.

If you have to ask it's too late, the question itself makes your view of art as a tool to survive rather than something you couldn't do without apparent. Which is not a healthy state of mind.

I dropped out of college to do this shit, my life was shit. Literally cleared bar toilets for my tablet and an hour of class in a studio(which didn't help at all)

My life isn't all rosy now of course but it's much better than what it would've been. You sound like you need a catalyst, which is something people who lack wisdom do.
>>
>>2594193
>once you reach 25 years old you begin to rapidly lose Neuroplasticity, you will never make it.
You should off yourself, how the fuck can you say something like that in /ic/
>>
>>2594005
brad rigney started at 28
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.