[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the ability to copy photos exactly( in other words photorealism)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Paul-Cadden.jpg (247 KB, 535x806) Image search: [Google]
Paul-Cadden.jpg
247 KB, 535x806
Is the ability to copy photos exactly( in other words photorealism) a necessary skill? Is it possible to be a good artist without it?

I was never that good at copying photos, let alone achieve photorealism, though I could draw from life rather decently(again not to the hyper detail of photorealism)

Perhaps if I put some time into(and by some I mean A LOT OF TIME) MAYBE I could get something KIND of close, but again I'm not very good

I figure the time would better spent doing figure studies or perspective study
>>
>>2592719
>I figure the time would better spent doing figure studies or perspective study

And you'd be completely right.
>>
>>2592719
Anyone can do photorealism with enough time.
>>
>>2592728
This. Being a human Xerox machine only appeals to the plebs.
>>
>>2592925
Those that don't draw however, eat that shit up
>>
>>2592730
i don't understand people who can copy down a reference perfectly but produce mediocre results when using any imagination
>>
>>2593007
because imagination also demands a working brain
>>
>>2593007
because you're not learning to speak a language, you are just learning letters of the alphabet.
>>
>>2592930
that's exactly what he said.
>>
>>2592930
you didn't do well on the SAT did you
>>
File: 1455588020166.gif (966 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1455588020166.gif
966 KB, 500x375
Copying pictures is the easiest thing to achieve for any aspiring artist.

>Is it a necessary skill?
No, but you can fucking count that every d/ic/k above beginner level can do this.

>I figure the time would better spent doing figure studies or perspective study

If you really want to stop symbol drawing and start sudying anatomy for real, you must be able to copy anything.

Don't bother with fine, hyperrealistic details, as>>2592925 and >>2592930 say, only plebs would give you credit.

Again, this is not a hard-to-achieve skill, since it's the most basic thing for any practicing artist. It will take you at most 40 hours of practice and once you master it, you can start building your visual library, studying anatomy, drawing animu waifus, le concept art, giant lolis destroying cities or anything else.

And again, if you can't do this, that means you're still symbol drawing/ don't have an eye for proportions/ you need moar Loomis/etc... and you shouldn't bother studying more advanced things for now.

>Moar Keys to drawing.
>Moar Lord Vilppu Drawing Manual.
>Moar Loomis.
>Moar DOTRSOTB.

Keep it up. We all can make it.
>>
>>2592719
No. Technical skill is great and all but without imagination you won't really get to sell much.

The only way it's worth doing outside of studies is if you set up the model and photo you're working from yourself so you still put the creative thought into what you're going to be painting even if you're just copying the photo you took.
>>
>>2593409
And all imagination without technical skill is useless.
>>
>>2592719

Honestly I think the only thing you really want to work on is to make sure the proportions and angles are correct. Learning to eyeball measurements quickly and accurately is pretty useful when studying references or drawing from life.
>>
>>2593485
yep
>>
File: 1457196380001.jpg (445 KB, 804x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457196380001.jpg
445 KB, 804x1200
>>2592719

Being able to work from photos is a fundamental skill. Hyperrealism isn't.
Ultimately what you are looking to do in all observational art is to capture the essence of what you're seeing without getting caught up in all the details. There is a difference in copying a photo slavishly with a grid and being able to interpret it and simplify it like pic related. I challenge anyone to tell me that pic related is easy to do.

I'd also really like to see your work. Chances are your life studies are weaker than you'd like to think they are.
If you can't accurately asses the shapes and values of a photo, why would you magically be able to do so from life?
>>
>>2593547

please die
>>
>>2593007
They're not seeing the object in three dimensional form, all they're doing is copying values in that 2d picture with utmost precision.

They're copying a picture, not translating and positioning an object from 3d space to 2d.

It's just an advanced form of grid drawing.
>>
>>2593603
I'm talking more about copying the photos perfectly, I can work from photos, I'll post some work once I get home
>>
>>2592719
It's a parlor trick that any intermediate can do. Only there to impress normies and amateur artists. Figure Drawing and Perspective are a must if you want to do anything cool with your art besides just portraits and fanart.

>>2593007
It's the same as a weeb who copies the shapes of japanese characters without knowing japanese.

>>2593677
if you can work from photos, that's all that's necessary.
>>
File: BHfEEgfB3cO.jpg (270 KB, 750x936) Image search: [Google]
BHfEEgfB3cO.jpg
270 KB, 750x936
Van Goh didnt do dat sheet op. he da bess. so fuk it
>>
>>2594548
I want to creampie her big cunny
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.