[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1270x819) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1270x819
Thoughts?
>>
>>2589109

On Jana Schirmer's painting or on Procreate? I haven't tried it with the iPad pro/Apple pencil combo (which she used) but it's a great app.
>>
>>2589109
Very good op, the lighting on the nose seems off but the rest is fine. The hands I'd make look a little bent to show the joints
>>
>>2589117
>>2589122
I was referring to the new version of Procreate. Sorry if it wasn't clear, in hindsight it's not the best choice of pic
>>
>>2589128
OOOH, didn't know it was out, i'll have to update mine an see what they added, thanks for lettin me kno nwn
>>
>>2589260
woo, magic wand, quick select menu, non-editive canvas flipping, stabilizer (i don't use it often but it's super nice to have there for when the style of a piece calls for it), basically a whole buncha shit i wanted real bad, still haven't figured out if i can move/adjust/edit multiple layers at once tho, which is like the only QOL thing left that i really want out of this program

seriously hope procreate's getting some form of funding from apple because it's more or less the only reason i bought the ipad pro yet it's only $6
>>
>>2589122
top fucking kek
>>
>>2589122
>lighting on the nose seems off
How?
>>
>>2589713
I think he thought that the light should be blended more, as it actually looks a bit too sharp compared to the rest
>>
>>2589717
Thats because is a cast shadow from the eye socket
>>
That colour wheel seems kinda silly
>>
>>2589724
the main light source doesn't seem hard enough to produce such a rough line
>>
>>2589752
How is it silly? I find it very intuitive
>>
>>2589752
it's epic for finding complimentary colours fast
>>
>>2589988
>>2589752
why not a triangle like every painting software? am i supposed to follow some kind of curve in order to desaturate a little?
>>
>>2589109
Update deleted my old custom brushes... fucking bullshit
>>
>>2590229
>deleted my old custom brushes
Thats odd, mine are all still around

>>2589336
>move/adjust/edit multiple layers at once
Can you do this in Photoshop?
>>
>>2590660
you can move multiple layers at once in PS when you ctrl or alt select them or have them in a layer group which is super useful when you're me and you keep lots of things that need to stay together on different layers

on top of that, clip studio allows you to apply edit/adjustment things like color tweaking/value curves to layer groups which is also really nice
>>
>>2589109
>iPad

Gaaaaaaaaaay
>>
>>2590874
Ah yes, for some reason I was thinking about performing a cut/transform through multiple layers in PS. I've never figured that out, I chalk it up to just being a newb
>>
How effective is the iPad Pro for creating digital art? I may consider picking one up with my next paycheck.
>>
>>2591639
awful.
>>
>>2591639
It's great. It doesn't replace a professional tablet like a wacom though. Still well worth the money.
>>
>>2591723

I'm a beginner when it comes to digital media art, so would you recommend it for a newbie such as myself?
>>
>>2591655

What is awful about it? Elaborate please...
>>
>>2591744
Not OP, but I only use 8% of the PS features anyways. I probably use about 60% of procreate.

I'd get one if you are a novice, it definitely lowered the barrier of entry to get me to go digital. I had a intuous, but I hated it because of the eye hand decoupling and difficulty to rotate the canvas. The multitouch on the iPad is amazing, the pencil is just a tool.

If you are already a heavy iOS/iPad user then it will be a natural progression. If you hate iOS and apple, the pencil won't change your mind.
>>
>>2589109

I've heard the Surface Pro stylus is so so compared to the Apple pencil on the iPad Pro. Thoughts?
>>
>>2591852

I'm curious about this as well.
>>
>>2591639
My opinion as someone who went straight to the intuos3 before I got past the cringe level on traditional and had been using it for the past...10 years? While also never having an Apple device before.

I don't like moving back to drawing directly on the image and my hand blocking it. Not having precise accuracy with a cursor vs hoping my pen's tip is pixel accurate. But I got over that within a few days.
The screen is slippery glass. Apparently people like applying a matte screen protector, but this makes the screen less crisp.
The screen being so slippery makes it very hard to do smooth lines for me. I was never too good at it, but it's made the experience a lot more frustrating until the latest procreate update added stabilizer. I honestly did way better lines on paper, which I've barely touched the last decade.
I have the smaller screen version. About 9-10inches. Which is comfy for drawing and very portable, not obnoxious to bring for sketching in public. Only downside is the option to split the screen only seems to do a perfect 50/50? Wish I got the bigger one. So trying to screen split for referencing or just multitasking while casually doodling is subpar to working with the typical tablet + pc/laptop method.
You can technically use the ipad like a cintiq, but it seems to require a mac and paid software to mirror the screen. So you can't do the dual screen cintiq thing as far as I know, but at least windows will be resizable.
You also need to do that to use any desktop software. I had a lot of time spent finding the right program for the ipad and learning multiple ones. Made me just want to get back on my intuos with software I already knew. Especially since a lot of programs don't have a full set of features.
I also had to get used to programs relying on gesture and hiding a lot of options in menus to keep the gui minimal and suited for a small screen.

I like it for the portability, but sometimes find myself thinking it can't replace my pc setup.
>>
>>2591852
I'm >>2592547 and I've tried both in stores before getting the ipad. From what I remember, they feel relatively similar. Nothing substantial enough to notice within a quick sketch. The surface might have a tip more like wacoms vs the apple pencil having a pencil tip. Apparently this bothers some artists but I honestly didn't notice it as someone who's barely touched actual pencils.

I think specs/features wise the pencil/ipad gets more points than the surface, but I'd have to fact check that. I think most people tend to disregard the surface for the pro. Or at least that was the impression I got.

Also upon rereading my wall of text I realized that I sound very negative about the ipad. I was trying to go more for this before i ran out of room
>took a lot of getting used to, love it for portable use, but still unsure if it can replace home use
>never had a cintiq so can't compare glass vs glass issues, only intuos texture vs glass
>>
>>2592552
as someone who owns a cintiq 13hd and ipad pro, you can avoid that annoying hand sticking to the glass surface feeling on the ipad with one of those 1-2 finger tablet gloves

another thing i'd really want for on the ipad would be some form of standardized file type shared between the more prominent and useful programs like procreate and pixelmator, tho i'm sure they'll both eventually be able to handle loading some form of .PSD in the future
>>
>>2592552

I use a old iPad with Procreate and a cheap stylus without pressure sensitivity for life painting more or less daily. It actually works quite well for plein air studies and forces you to simplify shapes etc. (and I love Procreate) but the drawing aspect is too slow and imprecise so I'm thinking of getting a iPad Pro exclusively for life studies. I'm torn if I should get a Surface Pro instead since it is a laptop replacement.
>>
>>2592633

After some research maybe I should save myself a lot of money and just get a Wacom creative stylus 2.
>>
>>2589109
if you really want to draw on the go, why not get a windows tablet so you can use real Photoshop instead of some meme program?
>>
>>2593117
Probably because a Surface Pro model with acceptable specs costs considerably more than an iPad.
The benefit of a limited mobile system like iOS is that it's very well optimized and will run good apps like Procreate with 0 issues. Comparatively, running Photoshop on full Windows with a mobile i3 and 4GB of RAM is well, shit.
>>
File: geekbench-macbook-multicore.png (93 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
geekbench-macbook-multicore.png
93 KB, 980x735
>>2593211
>surface pro 4, 12.3 screen, 128GB, 4GB ram, surface pen= $899
>ipad pro, 12.9 screen, 128GB, 4GB ram, apple pen=$1178

adobe has been optimizing photoshop for surface devices in the latest versions, but ps already is a very lightweight program: it runs perfect in 8 years old software.

but the main point is: your meme software is NOT photoshop. by far.
>>
>>2593285
>ps already is a very lightweight program
It is the definition of bloat. The fact you have to use another program just to open images as layers (something evn Gimp can do for free :^)) is proof of that. Sure, if you're doing low resolution images (1080x720, for instance) I'm sure a surface pro can handle it, but good luck doing higher res images.
>>
>>2593285
>but the main point is: your meme software is NOT photoshop. by far.
Of course it isn't. Photoshop has a ton more features, most of which are completely irrelevant to digital painting in a mobile device. Procreate does just fine. The UI is unobtrusive and works without the need for a keyboard, and the program will run well even at shit specs, the only difference being the number of layers you can use.

Your comparison is also disingenuous. If all you're doing is digital painting, the 128GB of space is completely irrelevant. I also would not consider a shitty Core M CPU and 4GB of RAM suitable to run full Windows and Photoshop comfortably.
If you need a laptop replacement, spend extra and go for the 256gb i5 or i7 Surface Pro. If all you want to do is paint while you're outside, the iPad is plenty.
>>
>>2592633
>>2592654

I went ahead and bought a Wacom Creative Stylus 2 after trying it and the Apple pencil at the store. Sure, the Apple Pencil has better sensitivity and angles but the Wacom stylus is good enough for my needs of painting from life. Procreate runs like a charm on my old iPad anyway, so it's not like I really need the extra hardware that comes with the iPad Pro model.
>>
>>2593398

Plus the Apple pencil is pretty poorly designed (round and not hexagonal... Really?) and doesn't feel great to hold. I'm sure it's way better with anti glare screen for some tooth though.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.