[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problem with self-promotion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: large.png (5 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
large.png
5 KB, 310x310
I have a question about self-promotion. Being a classic example of reclusive artist I have no idea how social circles work. Posting art isn't a problem but figuring who to let people notice you is. I don't understand the process or getting from point A to point B. So my question is how can I go around promoting my blog, tumblr, whatever from the obscurity? How to show people you are out there?
>>
Hashtags, submissions, & liking other peoples work.

Make work that is shareable and complete - not just half-assed sketches.

Series of related work are far more shareable than one-off illustrations.

Make work that is funny.

Make work that incorporates pop-culture themes or figures.

Don't make generic fantasy/sci-fi/concept art bullshit that the general population doesn't care about.
>>
>>2588744
Dave Wells - The Key to Making Money on Instagram
https://u.teknik.io/EevT8.pdf
>>
>>2588767
>Make work that is shareable and complete - not just half-assed sketches.
Are you sure? Tumblr seems to prefer quantity of completion. Everyone I follow posts half finished sketches, paintings with construction lines still visible, doodles, etc.. I guess because it's a blog, you have to have things to post pretty regularly for people to want to follow you. That's why I hate the tumblr format.
>>
>>2588844

maybe I'm stupid or something but I can't grasp the following problem. Making a site, gallery whatever is easy. 10 minutes tops to make one.

You say engage the community but how can I do that when you start from scratch? You are new person and don't know anyone on those sites or you know a few selected people.

Also how will rebloging posts or favoriting things help? If 1,000 people reblog something you are just one person in a sea that does it. It is a standard procedures on deviantart etc. but how does that help you by favoriting and rebloging other people posts? You are saying something obvious that everyone does but I don't understand how you benefit from it. I see a person who you reposted from profiting. As I said my social awareness is low. Can you elaborate further?
>>
>>2588767
>Make work that is shareable and complete - not just half-assed sketches.

While I think there's merit to doing and posting complete works, tumblr eats sketches up. Half the time my shitty doodles do better than my completed works and I see this happen with better artists than myself as well.

A little of both is nice - I think lots of people like to see art in varying stages of completion. It gives them a look behind the curtain, especially with high tier artists this is fascinating.

Volume is generally more important, if you're posting daily you're more likely to get noticed. If you do a nice completed work it's entirely possible it'll just get missed and nobody will care.
>>
>>2588869

>Also how will rebloging posts or favoriting things help?

If you do it with artists that already regularly get thousands of notes it's worthless, they very rarely check out everyone who notes / follows them.

However, smaller artists who get between 1 and 100 notes on average per piece do very often look at blogs that like/reblog/follow. I guarantee you if you took your new art blog, posted a few pieces on it, then went down the self promotion thread here on /ic/ and followed every single one you'd get at least a dozen followers since many people tend to mutual other artists.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.