[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any professional animators on /ic/, How do I get faster? Ive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1462156142331.png (473 KB, 1080x848) Image search: [Google]
1462156142331.png
473 KB, 1080x848
Any professional animators on /ic/,

How do I get faster? Ive been working at a small studio for about 3 months, 2 months interning and 1 month full time. This is my first job out of college, so theres clearly a lot of on the job learning I'll be doing for the forseeable future. Im a good animator, but Im not all that quick about it. My boss and coworkers say it just takes time, but I feel like there has to be something that can help outside of just the animation I do at work. Anything?
>>
>>2585587
> My boss and coworkers say it just takes time, but I feel like there has to be something that can help outside of just the animation I do at work. Anything?

So you think they are deliberately sabotaging you?

Outside of doing a bunch of stimulants, practice and time developing the skill is how you get faster. You aren't gonna get faster animating by doing something besides animating.

Also I'm not an animator, but this can generally be applied to just about any skill set. You get better and faster by doing it.
>>
>>2585587
good animation takes time
you're obviously good enough for the job or else they wouldn't have hired you
take your time, do it right

question tho, what is your job in the pipeline? are you doing actual keyframes and/or inbetweens, boarding sequences, layouts/backgrounds or any combination of the three?
>>
>>2585609
Yeah youre right, Im just constantly worried im not doing well enough and ill lose the job. I have no reason to think that way based on the feedback Ive gotten but I obsessively worry like this in general. Its usually worse when I care a lot, which I do.
>>
>>2585616
Im a character animator, its a game studio so Im doing full sequences and cycles. I joined the team towards the end of the project so Ive had to do a lot of cinematics, i think thays why Im struggling
>>
>>2585621
As the other anon said
1) They hired you, they obviously think you can handle
2) They haven't fired you yet, they obviously think you can grow
3) They have given you advice, I'd say listen to it

Trust me anon, I recently got a position I did not think I was qualified for in any shape or way. First month or so I was freaking out, convinced everything I was doing was wrong, or not good enough and that I was gonna get fired any moment. But I still have that job and I'm still doing ok.

You're gonna be ok too. Keep caring a lot, keep trying to do better, you'll be fine. Obviously those that hired you feel the same, at least for now. I'd say take a breath, trust their advice and keep at it.
>>
>>2585609
acting. subtlety.

the minor actions, and suggested things take you from an inbetweener to a key animator, or even an animation director
>>
>>2587176
yeah but sometimes directors are chodes and can't really give you more advice then "keep at it" cause they have no fucking idea how to actually teach someone. They might understand themselves but have no way of relaying that information to anyone else.
>>
>>2585587
Industry animator here. I primarily work in 3D but here are some things that helped me get faster:

- Learn and use hotkeys as much as you can (assign your own for what you use most)

- Get a Wacom if you don't already use one. It'll help speed up your workflow and help alleviate your wrist pressure.

- Take breaks. Seriously. Don't get burned out.

- Practice the fundamentals over and over. You can always learn from the basics. You'll develop a mental library of the physical part of animation and it'll speed up your blocking phase.

- Speaking of blocking. Get more information into your blocking (ie: instead of just key poses, focus on breakdowns and get the facial features in there as well as subtle hand gestures, etc...)

- Study, study, study... from life. Wherever you go try to always have your "animator brain" turned on to the goings on around you. Notice how people interact. How someone might console their child. How a businessman can be oblivious to the things around him while hes on the phone with a client. How kids interact with other kids they've just met. How someone might say one thing, but mean the complete opposite (subtext).

- Get a small sketchbook and write and draw in it everyday. Study peoples character and distill them into a single pose.

- Watch movies and tv shows. Listen to the dialog and do tests at home.

tl;dr: just practice OP.

I need to get my reel together :(
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.