[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artist's name/what's the deal with popularity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Hey! I have some questions:

-Does an artist name really count in the long run?

-Do people who get freelance work even get asked if said name is actually them? (for example, let's say i post art under the name "1234", is it better to post under that name or my real name?

-Besides the usual "time does its job", how do i and my art more popular? (on the internetz, mainly)

Thanks! :D (pic's not related)
>>
>>2584494
#1) No, people only care if you can deliver the shit they want

#2) Possibly, some ppl want to have work done by a specific person but again, if you can deliver what the client wants most don't give a shit what your name is or who you are

#3) Attention whore by becoming a human photocopier, or drawing whatever is popular at the moment (examples include fanart of the hot new anime, vidya or topic of the moment)

In regards to #3 it helps if it is colorful, sexy and not overly complicated. Visibility requires pandering to the masses that means don't over think it and just go for the lowest common denominator.

You could amass a following by just doing you and doing it well, but that will take a lot longer than just throwing ppl the soft core vidya pron that they really want.
>>
>>2584508
OP here, thanks!
Regarding your #3) answer, can an artist still stay true to themselves if they're doing fanart/ fandom art?
>>
>>2584519
Do you want an audience quick? Or do you want to do work that you find appealing and nourishes your soul? If you want an audience quick the key is to sell out and pander to them as much as possible. I.E. ignore being "true" to yourself and just give them what they want.

Actually, now I'm confused as to what it is you really want. Do you want to get a following fast and milk them for money? Or do you want to have fun and grow as an artist? It's generally difficult to do both at the same time unless you aspire to simply doing vapid fanart. In which case you've got it made, and I give you my congrats.
>>
>>2584528
Well i've done fanart for some time and some personal work on the side, now that i think of it, most of the fanart were done mostly because i wanted a larger audience, while few of them were done just because i purely loved the show/comic/and so on.
I just want to draw whatever i feel like to, but i want for people to actually be drawn to my work,to actually make them happy with my work, so posting it on the internetz won't feel like a shout into the void. I'm guessing it would've been better if i wrote this in my initial post.

TL;DR: I want for my art to be popular, in the art-that-makes-ppl-feel-better-and-gathers-a-healthy-community-around-it rather than fanservice-for-the-fangirls/fanboys
>>
>>2584519
Of course artists can stay true to themselves while doing fanart, as long as it's because the artist actually likes the fandom himself. You might not get quickly popular by doing MLP or steven universe fanart (unless you actually like those), but you can definitely still garner attention with other fandoms that aren't immediate cash cows.

>>2584540
>I want for my art to be popular, in the art-that-makes-ppl-feel-better-and-gathers-a-healthy-community-around-it rather than fanservice-for-the-fangirls/fanboys

We all want that, but that's going to take some time and effort. You need a good story and good art skills to back you up if you want people liking your original work. Be patient, and do fanart (for things you actually like) on the side.
>>
>>2584558
Thank you! :)
>>
>>2584564
Another thing is to CONSISTENTLY UPDATE when you are working on your original work. Here is an example of original work that's garnering attention, and not only does the artist have a decent style, he updates frequently: http://josholuwasakin.com/

Even if you don't get a lot of fanfare at first, you must keep working on your original work. You ultimately should be doing it for yourself.
>>
>>2584565
i..i haven't updated my art blog/account in months :'(

my motivation/inspiration comes usually in waves, so i'm working on it
>>
>>2584565
>fanfare

"Satisfying words"
>>
>>2584565
oh, hey josh, long time no see

you did improve quit a lot from the last time I remember you posting here
>>
File: 1463441110818.png (17 KB, 80x72) Image search: [Google]
1463441110818.png
17 KB, 80x72
>>2584594
kek
>>
>>2584519
>can an artist still stay true to themselves if they're doing fanart/ fandom art?
just draw what youre really a fan of, then u have fun too
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.