[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else uphold themselves to this very high standard that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: nui.jpg (100 KB, 500x459) Image search: [Google]
nui.jpg
100 KB, 500x459
Anyone else uphold themselves to this very high standard that keeps them from enjoying almost anything they make? It really keeps you from liking the things you draw and makes you think nothing will be good enough. I cant really explain it, but Ive had this standard for myself since middle school. Some people I know get a amateurish level and are satisfied with that, but I can't stop until im at a master level. Hope that makes sense and others can relate. Friends say "just draw" but its not a drawing problem, its a not meeting this high standard problem. And the worst part is, you set it and the bar keeps rising.
>>
It is called the artists curse where you're never happy with your result
It works like a carrot on a stick, almost reaching it but never there
It is good and healthy if you want to grow and if you know about it and use it you can push yourself really far

>but I can't stop until im at a master level
You will probably feel like you will never get there, and even the people you look up to have the same issues. They just learn how to deal with it and look at it objectively

It is natural
>>
>>2579753
I don't know if anybody else has this. Though it's the internet, I'm sure someone out there will feel the same. I do hate when I'm drawing off, and will bail on drawing that day if it's simply out of control.

I do have a procrastination or perfectionist problem. I struggle severely with seeing a project to the end. However, I have most a very creative "in the zone" mood during these throw away stages, where I don't feel committed to a picture.

What I'm driving at is. I occasionally look back and say, you know that drawing wasn't so bad. Wow. i did that? Perhaps this is not a true artists mindset. But I feel warm inside occasionally seeing an old drawing and seeing some improvement, or perhaps an idea that was never further explored. Basically, I am not spiteful seeing some of my old work. That is not to say the art wouldn't get ripped apart with critiques, simply I'm not unhappy with a drawing.

I don't know what it is, maybe I got better? Maybe I'm delusional? I frequently hate failing on a drawing, even though It's a required stage. It's a bad habit and has severely slowed my progress.
>>
File: 1358991035702.jpg (88 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1358991035702.jpg
88 KB, 768x768
>>2579753
yes, the standard is what makes you decent. if you were satisfied with the stuff you made while being aware that it's much worse than the average pro, you'll never get to that level.

but that being said, recently i really realized how important it is to draw with absolute confidence regardless of doubts. it's almost like while drawing, you have to be completely and utterly delusional and believe that you are a master of your craft in order to execute everything you've learned properly.
you have to kind of "just do itâ„¢"
this mental side is really interesting. thanks for the anon who recommended that jazz book some days/weeks ago. it was helpful.

i'm starting to believe that this paradox is something artists need to have in order to succeed.
>>
Yes. I dont like anything i do, never did since i began taking it more serious 3or so years ago. Everytime i am done i feel a mixture of despair about the fact that it is no where near as good as i want it to be and a subtle relieve that i managed to finish it up as a conpleted work. Yet i Cant give up since that would be weak and its somewhat addicting
>>
>>2579846
same here. No matter how shit I think I am or despise my work, I can't stop. Ive tried giving up drawing several times figuring it just wasn't for me, but I always come back doing it eventually.
>>
>>2579776

Jazz book?

Can you give a name or link please?
>>
>>2579776
That's a pretty interesting mind set although im not sure I can delude myself like that. It usually works with autists or very narcissistic persons though.
>>
>>2579753
Ah yes, the artist's curse.
This means you are critical of your work - which means your eyes are improving, faster than your hands. That's a good thing, certainly better than the opposite.
What you need is to find a balance, look back on your old art when you need to and use the frustration to push further, study more and improve because that is the way to fuck that frustration in the ass.
>>
File: 1440298567797.png (333 KB, 617x516) Image search: [Google]
1440298567797.png
333 KB, 617x516
>Anon don't call your drawings shit, you're being very rude as fuck when I compliment you
People can't even let artists be self-critical anymore
>>
>>2579898

Effortless Mastery probably.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (51 KB, 356x319) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
51 KB, 356x319
>>2579759
>master level

Master level is

"You can draw everything from imagination, realistic or not, it will look perfect or at least 'believable'. There is nothing else you can learn".

>Game over.
>Start new game, SP mode.
>>
File: 1466890659020.jpg (203 KB, 1024x1416) Image search: [Google]
1466890659020.jpg
203 KB, 1024x1416
>>2579943

It's fine to be critical of yourself but don't waste other people's time with work you think is shit. Plus it just sounds like you are fishing for compliments or some self-pitying faggot. Everybody is their own worst critic, but there is absolutely no need to go on about it.
>>
>>2579950
I don't mean when you show people stuff, but when they come up to someone when they're just aimlessly drawing/practicing/nothing very serious.

The issue has been popping up a lot these past few years though, and it can really confuse younger artists and people with really bad mental issues honestly. Thin line between confidence & narcissism and all that junk.
>>
>>2579753
Yeah, I've been there for a long time. I have a friend who's a graphic designer who just suggested that instead of drudging painfully to competence that I do what he does and use photoshop to its full extent, by doing more photobashing and manip. It took me beating the shit out of my pride to do it, but I did it and made a painting I liked (I mostly painted over the photos I used anyway, they were more ref. points than anything). It gave me the feeling of actually being there without being there, and knowing I could make a whole portfolio that could fool the average eye and low-profile illustration employers relieved tons of stress.

I've only done that once, now I'm back to drawing and studying furiously to get better. And I'm not restricted by dissatisfaction at my age and skill level because I created (and also experienced creating) something that was good in my eyes. Sometimes, all you need to do is experience being at the mountaintop to keep going.
>>
>>2579946
but thats the thing, and another curse

the more you know, the more you know you don't know
>>
>>2579901
>im not sure I can delude myself like that. It usually works with autists or very narcissistic persons though.
yeah i'm sure you're keeping it very real anon.

but really, to put it in another way, i'm basically just saying to have confidence in yourself and not worry too much while you're working and focus on the task instead.
at some point you'll need tostop second guessing yourself and pull through.

that is of course after you have the technical stuff down. i'm strictly speaking about mental barriers like "perfectionism".
>>
>>2580051
That's called lack of self-esteem.

Draw what you love, draw it with love, and you will love your work and love yourself. That's the way to break this curse.

Obviously you need to practice.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.