[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to start drawing >i suck at it >have some motivation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: images_93.jpg (15 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
images_93.jpg
15 KB, 456x320
>want to start drawing
>i suck at it
>have some motivation to draw and learn and think i will git gud
>look at all good pics drawn by pros
>loose all motiviation becuz i start to think i will never git gud
>after some time i want to draw again
>tfw
how can i fix that?
>>
Don't be a pussy and practice every day.
>>
>>2578787
You will find this with any hobbie, the deeper you get into it the wider breadth of knowledge you become aware you must learn. The pros are only good at it because they stuck with it. And they stuck with it because they enjoy it.

Ask yourself, do you enjoy making art? Do you enjoy the challenge of constantly trying to top your previous picture? IF you answer yes to those two questions then that's all you need. That is the secret to getting good. Enjoying the process of getting good. It's easy to lose focus when you see how fare you will have to go to get to where you want to be, but you must keep focussed on the now and what you're drawing now.

Personally, though I never set hard goals for myself, I was constantly looking for artists I thought were just a bit better than me and I'd analyze how they do what they do and I'd try to replicate it.

Now I see a lot of artists who are clearly trying to do pictures that are way out of their comfort zone, and this is foolish, be aware of your skill level and how quickly you can improve and always set your standards just a little above that.
>>
What exactly do you want to draw?
>>
>how can i fix that?

Stop trawling /ic/ for pep talks and get a bit of fucking discipline. Draw for at least an hour a day - up it when you're confident you can do that without burning out.
Realize it's going to take years of dedicated practice until you reach the level of the pros you're probably looking at. Determine what skill level you'd be happy with - do you need to be professional level? If so, steel yourself for the long haul and realize you're going to do a lot, and I mean a LOT, of shitty drawings.
Sound like too much work? Does drawing feel like pulling teeth and the only reason you're doing it is because you want to be good at it? Think you're gonna just get discouraged and quit? Then just pick up another hobby.
>>
File: 1466844684652.jpg (868 KB, 1000x1249) Image search: [Google]
1466844684652.jpg
868 KB, 1000x1249
>>2578812
>>2578829
>>2578848
Thanks dudes.
>>2578836
Something pic related.
>>
>>2579114
Sakimichan's work is scum tier, aim higher
>>
epic thread, OP is an old master of bait and shitposting
>>
>>2579114
fucking lol'd
>>
>>2579114
You just triggered half /ic/
>>
File: 1451757623960.jpg (219 KB, 800x1154) Image search: [Google]
1451757623960.jpg
219 KB, 800x1154
>>2579126
>scum tier

Literally why?

Never seen something of higher quality posted on /ic/.
>>
You need to understand that visual art is not just about technical skill. There will always be someone who's more skilled than you, but realize that no one can make your art other than you. That's because art is about more than the surface; it's about the concept and thoughts behind it, your own background and opinions, among many other things.

Having said that, you need a solid foundation in the craft before you exceed to that level. I think the best way is to study from real life. If you have the opportunity, attend gunfire drawing classes. No matter how awful you are now, if you dedicate to this completely, your skill level will boost insanely fast. Make sure not to be distracted by other interests and focus only on this. If model classes is not an option, put up still lives and look at photographic references and in the mirror. Read through the sticky, too.

When you get past the craftsmanship-barrier, dont try to be better than other artists. Because this will most likely end in disappointment. Read up on art history as well as modern art, attend galleries, but don't try to do the same thing as they do. This goes back to my first paragraph - be your own artist and use your own voice. You can find a lot of inspiration in other artists. But make sure to look for inspiration outside of art; music, movies, literature, internet, anything that catches your interest. Otherwise you're running at high risk of becoming a self-referential, derivative artist stuck in a vacuum and suffering from tunnel vision.
>>
>>2579151
literally everything in "favorite art" thread.
>>
>>2579180
something of higher quality, MADE BY YOU, posted on /ic/.

I hope the fix helps.
>>
>>2579201
not gonna argue against that lmao
>>
>>2579641
Yeah idk neither.
>>
2 anons were arguing about some stupid shit. Anon A asked anon B to show his work, so anon B posted merc wip and anon A got really buttmad.
>>
>>2579641
I can explain it but it requires my effort.
>>
File: merc wip.png (18 KB, 1525x151) Image search: [Google]
merc wip.png
18 KB, 1525x151
>>2579660
>>2579650
>>2579641
>>2579659

Lurk MOAR
>>
File: 1408220525782.jpg (227 KB, 950x745) Image search: [Google]
1408220525782.jpg
227 KB, 950x745
>>2579677
>>2579660
>>2579659
>>2579650
>>2579641

>Not posting original link

https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S1809783#p1810496
>>
File: mermaid wip.jpg (352 KB, 600x1521) Image search: [Google]
mermaid wip.jpg
352 KB, 600x1521
>>2579677
>>2579688

Original artist of the merc is Andrew Sonea btw.
>>
>>2578787

buy a cintiq
>>
>>2578787
Being an artist is a life of suffering.... this is just the beginning
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.