[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books/videos relating to art history? Something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1461095034063.jpg (1 MB, 1425x1801) Image search: [Google]
1461095034063.jpg
1 MB, 1425x1801
Are there any good books/videos relating to art history?

Something that goes in depth of examining the paintings of the artist/art movements or even a biography of any one particular artist.

I've neglected in researching the history of art.
>>
>>2578649
seriously?

go to a fucking bookstore! used, new, whatever.

/thread
>>
>>2578691
>anything that's published is automatically good
>>
>>2578649
I gave a read to some taschen editorial artbooks (rococo, bosch, michelangelo) and they were actually pretty good and not too expensive for what I could see.
>>
>>2578806
yeah the taschen books aren't bad for singling out a particular artist
>>
>>2578649

The Story of Art by E.H. Gombrich is a really great art history book. It provides a great overview of art history while giving interesting details on individual artists. It's a great starting point and will make it so much easier to find more specific books from there.
>>
>>2578649
Taschen 'art and ideas' series are usually very good. The Romanticism book is top notch, The Indian art and Latin American art books were tough, take some of it with a pinch of salt. The Dada and Northern Renaissance editions are must reads if you like that sort of thing.

Also get a copy of Hughes essays for the NY Times, I'd avoid Shock of the Now, it's a bit of an out of date concept.

(watch the film it's more enjoyable)

Also Burger, and Colin Wilson 'The Outsider' are important to me.

For very strange art look out for auction brochures from say Christies , some of the things that have survived are beyond belief. I don't for sure.
>>
>>2581772
>*Shock of the New,
>>
There's a series uploaded on Yale's youtube channel about history painting.

Raphael Prince of Painters documentary is well made.

You might want to sub to youtube channels of museums. They often release lectures and such. Getty, the Met, Frick collection, the Clark art institute, National Gallery, Dulwich Picture Gallery... Learnoutloud on youtube also has some short videos on artists and movements.

I quite like Andrew Graham-Dixon's documentary presentations as well.

As for biographies, don't neglect the ones written around the time of the artist or a bit later.
>>
Try smarthistory, it's a series of short video conversations between some digital learning directors or something.
https://www.youtube.com/user/smarthistoryvideos
>>
>>2578649

AFAIK Khan Academy had good courses and painting analysis.
>>
>>2578649
The great courses series. You can find them on TPB or whatever, maybe.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/category/fine-arts.html?CFM=mega_menu
>>
I have something related, OP.

Try "Ways of Seeing" by John Berger, it's very famous book, a bit academic, but used for art classes.

See tv series that complements it, it is very good IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.