[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good books, tutorials/videos and general resources on water
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Any good books, tutorials/videos and general resources on water colors?

Also water color thread
>>
>>2574469
is that bacon
>>
I am also interested in this.
>>
James Gurney's great, I've watched both 'Watercolour-' and 'Gouache In The Wild'. It's not a how-to, just him demonstrating and talking you through what he's thinking, so not very useful for a total beginner. But if you've got a handle on the basics and get something out of watching people in real time, it's fucking great.
https://gumroad.com/gurneyjourney

The only book I recall reading about watercolour is The Complete Watercolorist's Essential Notebook (emphasis on Complete, there's a shorter version too) by Gordon MacKenzie. Absolutely great, takes you through all the complete beginner basics right down to what brands and pigments are good and why, and is full of step-by-step demonstrations on techniques for general and specific purposes.

Now that I've done my good deed for the day, allow me to hijack for a tangentially related question:
Can I use my good kolinsky watercolour brushes with gouache, or would that wear them out/stain them/etc?
I feel like it should be fine, they're mostly the same ingredients, but I'm a pussy. I use M Graham artists' gouache, which I trust to be quality ingredients, and W&N 'designer' gouache, which I don't trust so much.
What about casein?
>>
>>2574910
>James Gurney's great, I've watched both 'Watercolour-' and 'Gouache In The Wild'. It's not a how-to, just him demonstrating and talking you through what he's thinking, so not very useful for a total beginner. But if you've got a handle on the basics and get something out of watching people in real time, it's fucking great.
Nah, once you have a grasp of the basics you realize that Gurney's instructionals are inconsistent fluff aimed at armchair painters. I love the man but his books and videos are pure fluff.
>>
>>2574469
Watercolor University is having a sale for $3 for a week. Got the email from NMA's mailing list, no idea if it's any good or how easy the videos are to rip, but I thought I'd mention for the people interested. http://lessons.watercolorpainting.com/s/nma/
>>
>>2574469
here OP

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z7nz4w53ruyew84/Mastering+the+Watercolor+Wash.pdf
>>
What do you prefer? Pans or tubes? Why? I currently use pans but I'm annoyed at the fact that I can't pick the exact amount of color I need. I want to switch and need RGB, black, gray, white. Any particular hues/names that can be recommended?
>>
Completely unrelated. Speaking tutorials, is there a guide for painting oil on canvas on photoshop
>>
>>2576130
I use tubes but laid them out like pans in a palette.

you have to wet them beforehand for about 5 to 10 mins before using them. artist grade colors reactivate more easily and also if the colors dry into a glossy look compare to matte ones.
>>
>>2576130
I use tubes like >>2576145 says.
M Graham tubes are really cool though, they're formulated in a way that they never really dry out.

As for colours, I picked my palette as a sort of process of elimination. Look for a warm and cool of the primaries, eliminate fugitive/toxic pigments if that's of concern, then select for opacity and staining strength as your painting style prefers. Any company worth looking at will have the information clear on their colour charts, and you can mix brands as you like.
You also generally don't need black/grey/white with watercolour. Grey is pretty much just watered down black, and black is best to mix yourself (at least if you're starting out and still learning paint mixing).
>>
>>2574469
Looks like a pack of pop tarts
>>
>>2574469
Look up Joseph Zbukvic on YouTube.
>>
File: 1332265_orig.jpg (148 KB, 800x517) Image search: [Google]
1332265_orig.jpg
148 KB, 800x517
>>2574910
He's a great artist and I love him but you cant seriously say he's god-tier at watercolors. He's pretty mediocre.
>>
>>2577537
sargent always have this shitty chalky dry brush look on his watercolor.
>>
>>2576130
I personally prefer using pans because they're so much easier to transport. Tubes are much more efficient though if money is a concern and as you mentioned it can be easier to mix, especially larger amounts of paint.

Any colour palette for me starts with Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. Those are the first ones I buy every time.
>>
>>2577537
>>2575059
Who would you recommend?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.