[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys make your brushes? Photoshop/Sai
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: 1465762510360.jpg (146 KB, 1280x783) Image search: [Google]
1465762510360.jpg
146 KB, 1280x783
How do you guys make your brushes?
Photoshop/Sai
>>
>>2573788
what artist is pic related?
>>
>>2573833
NURZHAN BEKKALIYEV
>>
>>2573833
Firez
>>
photoshop

made a couple from scratch, the rest are just a combination of existing brushes merged together with minor adjustments.

my most-used ones are a sketchy pencil, and a texture brush that resembles the backgrounds of old 60s cartoons (the IRL equivalent is some stupidly expensive thing from Denmark).
>>
>>2573929
Pic?
>>
>>2573788
Draw them irl and scan / photograph / retouch. I think Adobe has mobile apps that do this as well.
Or just use the defaults, they're plenty.
>>
>>2573882
thanks.
>>
>>2573788
i studied kyle webster's brushes to see what he did to get the type of feel and effects for his brushes and backwards engineered that to figure out how to make the ones that handle exactly how i want. his free brushes are still really good, especially the animator's pencil, good place to start with figuring out what type of stuff you can pull off with the tool preset option

still trynna figure out how to get something that handles like a pilot parallel tho ;-;
>>
>>2574694
oh, forgot to state that you really need tilt to take full advantage of what makes the animator's pencil so great, tilt making tiny changes to the shape and size of the brush depending on the angle and azimuth of your stylus is integral if you want that kinda real media feel to how your brushes make their "happy lil mistakes" texture wise, for lack of a better term
>>
File: brushes.png (403 KB, 983x552) Image search: [Google]
brushes.png
403 KB, 983x552
>>2573938
>>
>>2574694
yeah having subtle changes in size, direction, randomness, etc, are a great way to make a brush look like it's full of accidents.

my dream feature would be that brush presets could also introduce subtle amounts of skewing or warping as well. would be a bit resource intensive in real-time, but could make for some amazing results.
>>
File: 8201361583_f996f61806_m.jpg (14 KB, 209x240) Image search: [Google]
8201361583_f996f61806_m.jpg
14 KB, 209x240
>not using nasa photos and layer masks instead of texture brushes
>>
>>2574791
well considering how heavily edited most of nasa's photos are, might as well just ask them for their brush/texture pack.
>>
I use default brushes work for all my needs. I've tried Kyles but found them to not work as well for my needs.
>>
Kyles brushes basically just have textures imbedded into them which do the majority of the work, then he tweaks size and a few minor settings to pad out a set to make it look more impressive. Guys a hack.
>>
>>2575545
i had to go in and put tilt and etc on a few of his brushes that didn't already have it but i still think his packs are well worth what he charges.
it's a lot less hassle to mess around making minor changes to what he's already made than it is to start from scratch when you're more experienced/used to traditional media and don't wanna waste time that could be better spent doing work that gets you paid.
what you think is him padding out his set is just variants of brushes that i'm presuming he thinks would be useful for people who know even less about digital brush making than me, and i see no harm in him trying to make his product appealing to as broad a market as possible, especially when i believe a serious chunk of his target demo is people who are coming from a traditional medium background like myself.
>>
>>2574783
that is actually possible with photoshop's tool preset option in... i think CS5 and later. as long as your brush isn't like 500px wide it's not even that resource heavy
>>
File: image.png (94 KB, 621x340) Image search: [Google]
image.png
94 KB, 621x340
>>
How do I paint like Nu-kebab? It's like he only uses occlusion shadows
>>
>>2575735
Uhm no thats directional light. He has a breakdown on his tumblr, go look it up.
>>
>>2575605
fuck, now i really regret sticking with CS4.
>>
>>2573842
>NURZHAN BEKKALIYEV
watched

>>2573882
go fuck yourself
>>
>>2575603
You're right in that its basically a well marketed set for people that don't have the time or interest to do the work themselves. I suppose it amounts to paying for convenience but this is just appaulding his entrepreneurial skills.

Some of the variations are 20~ size steps, other brushes don't have repeating textures so you get visible seams. More fool the people that released their brushes for free years prior that did a better job?
>>
>>2574781
damn, share please.
>>
>>2576036
those old free brushes don't really take advantage of the new options/settings that you can get from tool presets in CS5 and up
also which brushes have non-repeating textures that are applied in such a way that they cause visible seams, i've yet to run into that problem myself but if it's there i'd like to see what went wrong/if i can fix them

also pretty sure the "same brushes, different size" thing has to do with certain effects he wanted out of a brush not working when the brush size is changed, something that i've run into extensively in CSP
>>
>>2574781
pencil brush is cute
>>
JUST USE THE BINARY PEN YOU FUCKIN JAG
>>
>>2576796
https://my.mixtape.moe/xjxxet.abr

>>2577256
thanks
>>
File: brushpack.jpg (530 KB, 2000x1113) Image search: [Google]
brushpack.jpg
530 KB, 2000x1113
Some of the brushes i've made over the years.
drew them with the mouse so no pressure sensitivity was on.
Does anybody have a good watercolor brush or know a software that can acheive that look?
>>
>>2577745
Sai is pretty good for watercolor stuff, here's some guides:
vk dot com slash album100869842_166155151?rev=1
(change "dot", "com" and "slash"....fucking stupid spam detection LET ME POST)
>>
File: kyleseams.jpg (207 KB, 1350x860) Image search: [Google]
kyleseams.jpg
207 KB, 1350x860
>>2576847
I don't really see the benefit of using Tool presets vs Brushes - I can't right click to get my menu up, I can't cycle with hotkeys. What other benefits are there to tools aside inbedding layer modes or colours? Seems too situational to be used as an alternative.

I went down the Watercolour list and they ALL had seams, for someone that knows how to make "amazing" brushes in photoshop hes awfully shit at using things like Offset to fix a simple seam.
>>
It disturbs me that Kyle knows when people use his brushes. Like nigger how can you tell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1Zv4PWjLQ
Not the original, youtube took it down like niggers. But Kyle appeared in the comments and was like "i see you're using my brushes" I'm like huh? how do you know??
>>
>>2580626
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1Zv4PWjLQ
he can recognize them obv
>>
>>2573833
*thicc related
>>
>>2574978

>muh illuminati
>>
>>2580626

I recognize custom brushes everywhere, I'd imagine it would be even more so if I had custom brushes released into the public. Up your game my beautiful nigger son
>>
>>2584270
meme has nothing to do with it, it's a pretty straight-forward process of representing individual chemicals captured in black and white using sensors:
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind_the_pictures/meaning_of_color/
http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answer.php.id=93
>>
I use sai most of the time. You can edit your brushes with the elemap and adding textures. But the elemap is really fuckin limited and it pisses me off alot.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.