[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys find the discipline and determination to finish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: DamirSimic_ForHer550.jpg (93 KB, 669x550) Image search: [Google]
DamirSimic_ForHer550.jpg
93 KB, 669x550
How do you guys find the discipline and determination to finish a practice piece?

I've heard two schools of thought on this, some people say if you're not enjoying a drawing you should abandon it, others say you should power through.

I find it hard to keep going with something the moment I see a (big) mistake and almost all of my work is unfinished because of it.
>>
Make everything with the intention of widely sharing it on social media.

The idea of sharing an incomplete piece of shit is often enough to power through to something somewhat acceptable. Plus you're posting online, which is always a good thing.
>>
File: guildwars2_flamefrost_theoprins.jpg (244 KB, 1275x672) Image search: [Google]
guildwars2_flamefrost_theoprins.jpg
244 KB, 1275x672
If its your personal work:
> if you're not enjoying a drawing you should abandon it

If its commision or any other payed work
>you should power through
>>
File: 1464976020742.jpg (85 KB, 666x882) Image search: [Google]
1464976020742.jpg
85 KB, 666x882
>>2567234

That means you use outer motivation (in your case social media) instead inner (selfmotivation) which basicaly means you are pushing your work for the sake of others.

Enjoy your quiting art moment when it comes.
>>
>>2567227
Listen to music while you're working.
>>
>>2567242

If you can't find inner motivation, an outer one is better than nothing.
And regardless of what motivates you, it gets you in the habit of finishing your piece, which still requires discipline and determination no matter what your end goal is.

What about professional artists, anon? They have pretty clear outer motivations, IE I need to finish my art or I don't get fucking paid.
>>
>>2567242
A flawed and stupid way of thinking.
>>
>>2567227
>practice piece
well my personal approach is to find a good balance between having fun and studying.
the key is to focus on one thing the most when doing a practice image. Want to focus on composition? Do a bunch of thumbnails beforehand. Anatomy? Do a really good analytical sketch of characters on your painting.
What you do with the rest of image is up to you, you might want to make that armor look more metallic, but hey, you can just do a metal study instead right?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.