[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice on this laptop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: imgres.jpg (8 KB, 286x176) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
8 KB, 286x176
so yesterday i had my bag stolen at the park long story short i am back in the market for a laptop

i am thinking of buying this:

Lenovo B50,15.6" Gaming Laptop AMD A8Quad Core ,16GB RAM,1TB HDD, Win10
2.4GHz Turbo CPU, Radeon R5 M230 2GB Dedicated Graphics

I need it for

light Modo Rendering
Sketchup + vray
Painting
learning modeling

are the specs above good or adequate enough? please help me out /ic/
>>
>>2564927
It's good but fuck laptops.
>>
>>2564930
>fuck laptops
>Fuck portability

I'll tell ya:
>fuck your 3+ hours of work in case of electric shortage
>>
>>2564934
you seem to be a knowledgeable follow d/ic/k

any advice on topic?
>>
come on faggots

help me out in my hour of need!!
>>
>anything AMD
drop it
>>
>>2565012
give a fucking reason!! i cant just make 400 pound decision on a fucking greentext
>>
>>2564927
I have something with an a8 quad core 2.4GHz, 8GB ram 1TB HDD and R5 with 1GB dedicated graphics and I personally use it for modelling and rendering, as long as you don't model anything with a huge poly count e.g. 750,000 but that's unlikely if your just learning. As for the painting part you could but a potato and you'dstill be golden.
>>
>>2564927
>so yesterday i had my bag stolen at the park

Dave Rapoza is on the loose again.
>>
>>2565133
lmoa
>>
>>2565150

Great artists steal.
>>
>>2564927
maybe bump the processor speed to 3.0GHz? I have a 2.6GHz laptop, but its slow at times.

>16GB Ram
are they DDR4?

the dedicated graphics might be a good edge imho
>>
>>2564927
it should be able to run 3D programs just fine
but notebook graphics cards are always meh and even then some programs dont work very well with radeon cards and some even dont support it at all and use CPU instead
>>
My thoughts: don't go with a lenovo unless it's a thinkpad. I bought a lenovo y-90 touch and it was always bogging down due to poor ventilation, the internals were designed to be a one time only access (had my bird chew off a couple keys and break the under mechanics..point is, no screws, only plastic that was melted to act as a rivet to hold the keyboard in place) lenovo has been caught putting malware into their own systems, the trackpad is horrendous and will self destruct in a matter of months, and the dedicated graphics is nice, but my experience with radeons in a laptop setting has not been a positive one. I would honestly try to get an intel i7 if you're trying to get into rendering and 3d. intel typically scores very well in pure numbers scenarios which rendering and modeling would include. geforce cards also do extremely well in modeling when compared against ati. You might see those things as unnecessary inflated costs, but while you're learning you may not be tapping into those things, but you'll gain another three years on your laptop if you're using just for those reasons you listed and not for gaming on the side. while certain programs might require more than what your system can push, it'd be a long ways down the road if you took the time to properly budget your needs. Don't worry much about RAM honestly. that is easily upgradeable, as is the hard drive (SSD, pls) but make sure you purchase the hard drive fast so you're not a year down the road trying to back everything up so you can install the new drive...it's a hassle that you don't really need and a good hard drive is pretty cheap these days so you might as well have that ready when you purchase.
>>
>>2565315
Great con artists, sure.
>>
File: 1466207362184.jpg (60 KB, 245x282) Image search: [Google]
1466207362184.jpg
60 KB, 245x282
/g/ here, Photoshop is RAM intensive get something with 8GB RAM and an SSD and you should be good.
But with Vray in the mix get something with nVidia dGPU, it's known to run better on their drivers, at least a 960m.
>>2564934
These fuck off massive laptops aren't very portable senpai
>>
>>2564927

>a8 apu
>r5 m230
>gaming laptop

Gaming my ass

'True' gaming laptops has at least an Nvidia GTX x60 (860m, 960m etc)
>$1000

'Semi' or entry 'gayming' laptop, from known 'gayming' Brands has at least a GTX x50.
>$850

AMD has no answer to the portable gaming market.

Do yourself a favor and get at least something with an i5u + GT 940m
>$500
>>
>>2570885

R5 M230
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M230.108655.0.html

GT 940m
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940M.138027.0.html

Rule of thumb;
Anytime you're looking to buy a CHEAP laptop with SOME gaming capability, get at least an Nvidia x40m.

The cheapest combo with an i5u mobile processor would cost around $500.

To get on par you'll need to find an AMD with an R7 370m or equivalent, but good luck finding one at $500.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.