[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dedication
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: ralphiechristmasstorysoap.jpg (88 KB, 510x384) Image search: [Google]
ralphiechristmasstorysoap.jpg
88 KB, 510x384
>TL;DR recommend great art supplies with a budget of $300, preferably traditional

My 19th birthday is coming up in about a week and I was planning on buying a new console, but thankfully I've had a change of heart. On my birthdays I usually get nothing but money, so I'll have about 300 dollars to spend on art supplies (including the money I already had to spare). I've never put much thought into what I use to draw, but as a result I never took it that seriously and didn't use that much color.
>Sketchbooks
>Markers
>Pencils
>Pens
>Brush Pens
etc.

pic unrelated
>>
>>2562702
Materials don't make an artist. You're better off buying a stack a printer paper and some anatomy books and then spend some time copying every image out.
>>
>>2562710
Yes I know, but sometimes it'd be nice to have better resources to meet my full capabilities.
>>
>>2562726
Get a used intuos then
>>
>>2562727
I have one, but I like to draw on the go. And I'm a little bit of a hippie and prefer traditional to screens. Could you guys just recommend some supplies, please?
>>
>>2562744
fabiano paper is great. So are the piere noir 1b from conte. Sketchbook wise moleskin is cool, cottonwood arts is cool. Traditional is a wide array. Painting wise you cant go wrong with winsor newton
>>
>>2562744
It really depends what you want to do. $300 is way too much to spend on pens and pencils in my opinion. If you want to start up plein air oil painting or something then that's a reasonable budget, but otherwise most things you buy will not need to be anywhere close to that amount of money. Even something like markers which can add up quick you don't need to spend that much on since you are not doing hardcore industrial design or anything.

Also asking /ic/ about this is a bit silly since your preferences won't be the same as other people's. Try going into an art store and seeing what they have, often you can test out pens and see what you like before buying it, you can flip through and feel the paper of different sketchbooks etc. If you see something you want to try like powdered graphite then just go for it.

Since you are a self-described hippie if you want to be extra hipster you can always just buy a couple Moleskines and a Pentel brush pen.
>>
>>2562766
not op, but fuck no. Artstores are the worst thing ever. Never have the things you want.
>>
I'd get some stuff that will last you your entire life. You'll notice these are practical things that may seem boring compared to a $100+ fountain pen but you'll be glad you'll have these:
Get light wood board from Lowes or Home Depot to draw on.
Ellipses pack.
A set of great Rulers (I particularly like AlumiCutter)
A Standing Desk (Ikea makes great crank or electric standing desk)
A cutting Mat (Alvin is great)
X-acto refillable box cutter
Glue Dots
Double Sided Tape
Electric Eraser (The Helix is ugly but the best, other more expensive brands leave smudges for some reason))
Carl Angel 5 Hand Crank sharpener (yes, its better, sharper and more trustworthy than all but the most expensive electric ones)
Bunch of White gel pens, preferably Uniball Signo
A plastic SKULL replica
SHFigure Grey Human Figures for reference
Large Format Inkjet Printer

Paper:
Hammermill Digital Cover Stock
Hammermill Digital Paper
Kelly Paper Desert Storm
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.