[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art related degrees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_inline_n9w010yrYD1rmtbm6.gif (925 KB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n9w010yrYD1rmtbm6.gif
925 KB, 245x250
I'm going into an animation degree in september. Am i about to fuck up my life?
>>
>>2562567
Depends on what school and how good you are and what you want to do in life.

Animation programs at least are usually better than illustration programs. Worst case scenario you get a lot of life drawing and learn the basics of some programs. Best case scenario you learn drawing skills and animation skills and come out very hireable.
>>
File: ARB.jpg (3 MB, 3262x4982) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
3 MB, 3262x4982
Is the work in your portfolio good enough to get a merit-based scholarship on entry or would this be the first time you've ever picked up a pencil?
>>
Hope it goes well but you don't have to. I started learning animation out of boredom on my own in 2012 and now have over 100 million views on youtube with 150k subs and have had job offers at actual animation studios. None of them cared i had no animation degree, just my work.

If you're gonna take out a huge loan and have debt it wouldn't be worth it imo.
>>
I literally just made a thread about how I graduated recently from an art/design school. Didn't include that I was an animation focus. Pretty sure it was a huge waste of time. If you're good enough at it, you can be like >>2562816 this guy probably, get job offers without a huge school bill.

I don't know about you, but jesus I wish I had a time machine and could tell myself to go into comp sci or something.
>>
>>2562567
Yes.

But seeing as you've made the effort to get in and it's only a couple months away, I doubt what anyone tells you here will change your mind.
>>
File: Cj3QzJGUYAA6xjf.jpg (18 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
Cj3QzJGUYAA6xjf.jpg
18 KB, 500x418
>>2562567
Yea you fucked up. Quit now while you can.
>>
Wold you happen to be Mexican? I started a degree on animation too last September
>>
>>2562567
Not if you study in your free time and work on your portfolio
>>
I just finished by art-related bachelor. The classes was shit, and I didnt learn much from the school. In that regard, it was a waste of time, apart from the graduation film, which I was happy I did.

However, had I not spent those three years there, I would not have discovered what I want to do. I would not have gotten the resolve to git gud. I would not have met the people I met (several of them already got jobs in art industry!). It's an invaluable experience I've had in my life, and I wouldn't have been where I am without it. If I were to go three years back in time with the knowledge I have now, sure I wouldnt have done it. But at the same time, I'm glad I did. My biggest worry is my student loan. If you have to move away from your parent's to go to school that makes it even more worth it.
>>
>>2562567
im doing the same, where are you going?
>>
>>2562816
What's your channel about that you have 150k subscribers? Do you make little animated shorts or something?
>>
I feel you can learn animation yourself yes but if you're going to school it'll force you to work hard when you're not the type of person that can self motivate. At least I hope it forces you to work hard from the money you're spending on it. It's more that you're buying an environment that can hopefully kick your ass into shape if you let it. Make friends with your teachers who are in the industry, talk to people, go to animation fairs, etc.
>>
>>2562567

Yes.
>>
>>2562816
speedo is that you
>>
>>2569013
it's at a university near London, not anywhere with a big name
>>
Anyone San Jose State here?
>>
>>2569486
...Were you valedictorian of your high school?
>>
>>2569489

Nope.

San Jose State has got a good animation program. Actually a decent illustration program for those who are trying to get beyond high school art.
>>
I-is it worth applying to KyoAni's school guys, I don't even know what they teach, but they're the best.
>>
>>2569516
Only if you speak native-level Japanese.
You won't be considered otherwise.
>>
>>2569516
Japs are xenophobic as fuck, it's not worth it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.