[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which art gallery would you close down if you had the power?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
Which art gallery would you close down if you had the power?
>>
>>2562066
the question is not which gallery I would shut down, but what kind of gallery I would build
>>
How do I even start with drawing a portrait? I've been trying to start with the outline of the head but its really hard to sketch it out and keep the proportions relatively correct. It always turns out too round or wide etc.
>>
>>2562078
>question thread
>beginner thread
>>
>>2562078
erm......
>>
>>2562066
None of them adolf. Even the shit I don't like deserves to exist, it's not like anyone is forcing me to visit those galleries.
>>
File: 1446574259120.jpg (26 KB, 283x314) Image search: [Google]
1446574259120.jpg
26 KB, 283x314
>>2562076
Can I fill a gallery with just loli?
>>
>>2562138
yes, we need a neet gallery already
>>
fuckin MOMA
>>
>>2562066
Tate Modern.

And I hope by 'close down' you mean 'controlled explosive demolition of the entire building and its foundations, with all installations and items still in situ'.
>>
MoMA.
>>
MoMa
>>
File: nay_ernstwilhelm_rotklang_1962.jpg (205 KB, 820x1052) Image search: [Google]
nay_ernstwilhelm_rotklang_1962.jpg
205 KB, 820x1052
My guess is that the big modern art museums will shut down or change completely in the coming years. The interest for modern art is going down, shock value has passed long time ago and it seems like we are slowly moving on to another era.

No need to shut down the MOMA, but what I would so is segregate the art in museums. I drive 2 hours to look at old masters paintings, but have to go through 80% of random 2deep4me paintings with a horde of people talking elitist crap.

Our German museums could do so much better, move that shit to private museums, please.
>>
>>2562076
No, that's a completely different question.
>>
>>2562066
All of them.
>>
File: hito-steyerl-smug.jpg (29 KB, 328x479) Image search: [Google]
hito-steyerl-smug.jpg
29 KB, 328x479
Why is /ic/ so full of plebs?
Even a shithole like /tv/ can occasionally take a break from superhero movies and discuss experimental cinema, but this board is unanimously focused on cute girls and fantasy landscapes drawn on tablets, and anything challenging or abstract is dismissed.
>>
>>2563366
>modern art
wish everyone on /ic/would stop using this phrase to refer to anything non-figurative
also
>shock value
>80 years
>>
>>2563414
you have to be educated in modern art to appreciate it, and it's also almost universally left-leaning (as more educations makes you more progressive).

so this board, which is mostly made up of autodidacts, recoils at modern art because it's like opposite to everything they think art "should be" because they haven't really thought about what art is.

so they keep drawing the things that interested them as 4-7 year olds because they never advance intellectually.

This board is great for fundamentals but anything beyond that (subject matter, theme, etc.) is best worked on elsewhere.
>>
>>2563438
I know it's not the optimal terminology we use here, but we know on this board what is meant by 'modern art'. No one cares for your terminology and we don't care about endless rambling about semantics and meaning of a Twombly painting.

Most of us respect Impressionists like Degas, Monet and Manet, like some of the abstract paintings. We can see the appeal of a Whistler without ranting over why this painting is important and good.
>>
>>2563414
>>2563454

lo energee attemt
>>
>>2563454
how do you "work on" things like subject matter and theme? These aspects are highly subjective
>>
>>2563414
Abstract is fine. Uninteresting is not.
>>
>>2563412
I responded a question with a question, I was implying I would never work to shut down something directly, but create concurrence and let the ppl decide would one it's obsolete
>>
>>2563474
Read books, look at paintings, make fiends with people more learned than you in different fields, talk to them.
>>
>>2563456
>I enjoy being wrong
>>
>>2563516
You can do that without spending $50,000+ a year
>>
>>2563516
>Read posts, look at pics, make fiends with people more learned than you in different fields, shitpost with them.
the same way you learn memes I see
>>
>>2562066

The one with all the lightposts out the front
>>
>>2563366
>The interest for modern art is going down
Source?
>>
>>2563454
>you have to be educated in modern art to appreciate it
Not at all true.
>>
>>2563531
That picture has a typo in it, probably not a big deal but there's an updated one at https://mega.nz/#F!es1BSKQR!spODyd0iaQmMelGA2GscFw under 'quotes' if you're interested, sheeit.
>>
File: 2deep_2dark.jpg (266 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2deep_2dark.jpg
266 KB, 2048x1536
>>2563454
>you have to be educated in modern art to appreciate it
>they haven't really thought about what art is

Oh yes, the general cultural ignorance, the unexamined prejudices, the kneejerk anti-intellectualism and cultural suspicion of contemporary art.

How come that anyone can recognize a Koons but is unable to appreciate a Mandala?

If anything, it's contemporary art which is aiming for the plebs. It's direct, sometimes flashy or tricky but mostly direct. The bigger it is the better, so you can say "but you have to see it for real, pictures don't do it justice".

Just sayin', this happened in each generation, and the guys who will be remembered in 2100 are not necessarily those who are the most recognized now. There's no need to pretend that after thinking about it for years and reading thousands of pages someone will suddenly see the light and watch that art with watery eyes.
>>
>>2563454
Oh yes because i need to be educated to appreciatte Tracy Emin's unmade or that cunt that just put down a pile of bricks. There's is some great stuff out there but most of it is a huge scam.

There's a documentary on youtube that im too lazy to look up for you profiling an art academy in the uk and one of the top student's work was stealing jewelry by swallowing, then pooping out it out and sticking it on the wall along with a description of the theft.

Really deep stuff...
>>
File: HTB1qEO_LpXXXXcFXVXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg (130 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
HTB1qEO_LpXXXXcFXVXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg
130 KB, 750x1125
>>2563516
>make fiends with people
>>
>>2562066
I would arrest everyone at art basel
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.