[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please help me figure something out? I'm looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 13
Can someone please help me figure something out?

I'm looking for a name of a specific design movement that was popular in the 70's-90's in the fields of technology, architecture, and other things. It's characterized by creamy/dull colors, heavy use of metal, vinyl, rubber, thick lines, simple color schemes, etc. I will post examples of what I'm talking about. I simply love this stuff and even if it doesn't have a name, if someone could point me in the direction of a blog or something that is full of this type of design, I'd love you forever and ever.

There was also a short video I saw once of this designer who collects a shitload of similar material, but in the form of computer company logos on cardboard boxes from the 90's, aircraft logos, and similar design. I can't remember his fucking name. If someone could help me find that guy/video that'd be helpful.
>>
>>
File: Audi-80-LS-B1_03.jpg (496 KB, 1024x645) Image search: [Google]
Audi-80-LS-B1_03.jpg
496 KB, 1024x645
>>
File: fjarrhandske_1920_badge.jpg (729 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fjarrhandske_1920_badge.jpg
729 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>
File: C65.jpg (518 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
C65.jpg
518 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2558259

https://vimeo.com/113751583

This guy?
>>
File: MFzUwwB.jpg (465 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MFzUwwB.jpg
465 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2558259

Also, I'm not sure there is a specific name for what you're looking for.
Design trends just spread organically and different fields bleed into each other. Tumblr has a shitload of that kind of blogs. Just search for things like 70's interior design or whatever. Be as specific as you can. You mentioned a span of 30 years, that's a lot.
>>
>>2558259
>>2558274

Simon Stålenhag's works have often be refered to as "retro futurism" so that might help, but that can also refer to 50's space ships so it's not that specific.
>>
I can already tell this is going to be a nice thread for references.
>>
>>2558271
YES! That's him! Thank you.
>>
File: tumblr_o5hrxgUQ2e1sqxw6oo1_1280.jpg (351 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5hrxgUQ2e1sqxw6oo1_1280.jpg
351 KB, 800x600
>>
blocky shapes, bold lines, slightly desaturated color pallets. Use of metal, stone, vinyl, thick plastic. Matte textures.
>>
>>
File: 1459668461798.gif (2 MB, 500x554) Image search: [Google]
1459668461798.gif
2 MB, 500x554
>>2558261
OMG MY SCHOOL CHAIRS!
>>
I would like to add to op that looking at your post pic and other pics I saw you would like Dieter Rams' work. I also recommend looking up some modern deco inspired design as well as the bauhaus movement
>>
File: smokecabinet.jpg (43 KB, 545x726) Image search: [Google]
smokecabinet.jpg
43 KB, 545x726
>>2558259

You may also like the 50-70'S nothern european industrial/minimalism for reference. Very japan inspired.

Pastoe
Radboud van Beekum
Cees Braakman
Arne Jacobsen
Brabantia
Daf(cars)
>>
Came across this guys redbubble. Has a few old school logo designs.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/flemishdog/portfolio
>>
>>2558259
Starts with Modern industrial design/design.
A lot of really dope stuff was italian.

You're kind of tumblrizing shit, as in you're classifying stuff without context. Colors has little to do with it, Industrial design trends start with manufacturing breakthroughs. While the influence might show up thru the 80s the movement was ""over"" and exists today as homage/rip-off/referential today.

Google: mario bellini, grupo bertone, dieter rams, massimo vignelli, eames, joe colombo start down that rabbit hole.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.