[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adoptables
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: DeerAdoptables2.png (357 KB, 1024x800) Image search: [Google]
DeerAdoptables2.png
357 KB, 1024x800
Selling character designs you made for money. Has anyone gotten good cash out of this? I see some little anime chibis going for 70$ sometimes
>>
File: 1462925091615.gif (382 KB, 500x202) Image search: [Google]
1462925091615.gif
382 KB, 500x202
>>2557921
I saw someone sell one for $240
>>
File: what.jpg (68 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
68 KB, 479x358
>>2557921
>Selling character
>>
I don't get it. What are adoptables or whatever? Just different colored versions of lineart? You pay for it then what? What do you do with the picture that wasn't even made for you?
>>
>>2557921
I do a batch of 3-5 chibi designs about once a month. The last batch of 5 i made earned me about 260 usd. It's less than i charge for commissions but also a lot less stressful
>>
>>2557928
In some cases, it really is just different colored versions of lineart.
Basically, you get to keep the design and use it as if it's your own i.e commission other artists to draw it. I guess the main market would be writers who want a visual for their character, but can't draw
>>
>>2557928
You make some characters either by drawing the individual characters or by modifying a base design.
People buy them and then use them as roleplay characters

Then theres adoptable closed species which are basically the above except more exclusive

Its common for adoptable artists to sell their designs with the stipulation that they buyer can't profit off of them or use them commercially.
>>
>>2557931
What website do you sell them on? I want to get in on this business
>>
>>2557941
I list them on deviantart but advertise them on tumblr and twitter. I get the most traffic on tumblr but deviantart has threaded comments which makes it easier to track bids.
>>
>>2557939
That sounds so stupid. If I wanted to roleplay the adoptable why can't I just say, "Hey bud, that adoptable #5 this guy is selling, yeah, that's what my character looks like by the way, just for reference."
Is it just for people that are bankrupt in design? So they buy these colored in animals? Still makes no sense.
>>
>>2557947
Yes, it's pretty stupid. The only thing preventing people from outright hijacking designs is the rabid adoptable community. If there's a remote possibility that someone has stolen a design instead of buying it properly, they get torn apart publicly
>>
>>2557947
You underestimate how uncreative most normies/fandomfags are.

They look for a design that satisfies their mess of ideas they have in their head but can't formulate, and buy one off of an artist if they see that it catches their fancy.
>>
>>2557961
Yeah seriously, as stupid as it is selling adorables to autists is very profitable, and everyone ends happy.
You get money doing nothing and some uncreative ass gets their sparkledog.
Win-win.
>>
>>2557971
More like lose-lose
>Pander to losers
>Losers create a market that doesn't and shouodn't exist
>>
>>2557979
You left out the part which makes it all worth it.
>You get money
>>
>>2557979
>>Pander to losers
>>Losers create a market that doesn't and shouodn't exist

some may that's literally all art, from the beggining of art history till today
>>
>>2557946

can you post your DA?
>>
>>2558359
search for chaotic-muffin
>living proof that you shouldn't let people make usernames when they haven't hit puberty yet
>>
>>2557979
just like magic cards.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.