[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone, every site, every video praises this game. They love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: cuphead-2014820112955_3.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cuphead-2014820112955_3.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1080
Everyone, every site, every video praises this game. They love the graphic style above all.

BUT

What about the extreme chromatic aberration? Why nobody says a thing? The moment you post a picture with chromatic aberration on /ic/ they bash on you.

At the end /ic/ just makes a product for its own taste. "Not enough loomis, not enough shit". The rest of the world doesnt care about this stupidity.
>>
File: cuphead-2014820112955_2.jpg (468 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cuphead-2014820112955_2.jpg
468 KB, 1920x1080
and another one
>>
The developers said that the chromatic aberration is togglable.
>>
>>2557428

fucking #REKT OP on suicide watch
>>
>>2557424
I personally feel as though it makes it feel a tad bit more "old school"
>>
>>2557439
Authentic might be a better word
>>
>>2557424
people gonna get eye problems watching that all the time
>>
>>2557424
>BUT
>What about the extreme chromatic aberration? Why nobody says a thing?
No one cares.

Morons on IC live in such a niche bubble. You don't even realize you're all attempting to market your "get gud" art towards other artists who care about technique and brush strokes and whatever else bullshit levels of autism.

Normies, who will be the people that buy the products you get hired to make, (or make yourself) don't know or care about pleb wannabe artists chromatic aberration or photo bashing trigger. They like stuff that just looks cool, hence lots of products with what IC calls "inferior" art making bank.

Go outside.
>>
>>2557424
No one bashes it because the chromatic aberration is there to simulate an old CRT TV and add to the authenticity of the game's aesthetic, not just as an effect slapped on top of it in an attempt to provide more substance to a painting that has none. If you can't understand the difference then it's your own fucking issue.
>>
>>2557495
It looks like shit m8.
>>
>>2557497
It does, and I'll be turning it off ASAP when I play it. The point is at least there's a reason for it to be there.
>>
>>2557456

First few google search results from reddit, neogaf, gamefaqs etc:

>"This looks really cool, but I hope the chromatic aberration gets toned down, ..."
>"Developers: STOP using Chromatic Aberration"
>"Why did they force chromatic aberration on us with this game ..."

Some quotes from a 22 pages long neogaf thread where normies complain about chromatic aberration in general:

>"It looks fucking terrible in Bloodborne and I literally can not play the game because it gives me a massive headache. I was about to vomit when I moved the camera quickly as I was running by a fence. "
>"This stuff gives me a headache. Every time I've played Bloodborne it has given me a headache. I push through it because the game is good, but it is still annoying. "
>"I feel like it's some industry-wide troll at this point. It's getting added to everything and anything, with no care taken at all to moderate it or make sure it's only used sensibly"
>"Amen OP. CA is a goddamn plague on the industry right now. It is never, ever a welcome addition IMO"

Sure seems like normies love it... In no way could it possibly be that popular games sell DESPITE bullshit like this, not BECAUSE of it.

TLDR: You're not going to make it.
>>
>>2557495
>there to simulate an old CRT TV
Low quality CRTs do not have chromatic aberration, they have convergence problems, which is a completely different defect. This game correctly simulates poor convergence. There is no chromatic aberration.
>>
File: real_chromatic_aberration.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
real_chromatic_aberration.jpg
474 KB, 1920x1080
>>2557425
Here it is with the convergence fixed and chromatic aberration applied (using Darktable, which assumes the spectrum of every pixel is pure RGB, which is not true of real life, but this is an obviously unrealistic image so I don't think it matters). You can see it's a completely different type of distortion.
>>
>>2557584
The only difference is that you applied a stronger CA filter whereis the original one is more subtle. Otherwise, the exact same shit that creates the same eyestrain.
>>
>>2557591
Wrong. Isn't being able to see what's really there the most basic art technique there is? In the chromatic distortion case the amount of distortion varies according to distance from the focal point. In the convergence distortion case the amount of distortion is uniform across the whole image.
>>
>>2557596
Do you have autism? What exactly is the point you are trying to make here? It looks like CA and it hurts your eyes from looking at it, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>2557615
If you care about art you should immediately notice the difference between chromatic aberration and convergence distortion. Detail is important. Confusing the two is the same lazy thought process that results in symbol drawing.
>>
>>2557424
What game is this faggot? not everybody has time to google. Or to care to google.
If you create a thread at least post the name of this game.
Fucking retard.
>inb4 google it :(
google your mom's last night photos
>>
File: 1436736231977.jpg (97 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1436736231977.jpg
97 KB, 720x960
>>2557615
Chillout anon you seem salty as fuck. I don't give a fuck about this game but you can't call someone autismo and move goal posts when you're wrong.

As long as you can turn it off or down I don't care, really. I'd turn that shit off instantly though. I don't know why developers put this kind of shit in games. Aesthetics don't matter if your audience can't play without barfing.
>>
>>2557622
Filename
>>
>>2557622

>cant even read filename kek
>>
>>2557424
>>2557495
the first TECHNICOLOR movies have a ton of chromatic aberration, because of the primitive methods used for achieving the separation of the colors. that's clearly the intention here.

go watch a movie someday, uber plebs.
>>
>>2557690
That's not chromatic aberration. And I'd be shocked if they had visible chromatic aberration in addition to the channel alignment problems, because low dispersion lens designs have been known for hundreds of years, and they could definitely afford them.
>>
>>2557424
I dont mind the aberration at all. Cuphead is trying to replicate what it was like to watch cartoons on old fashion tube tv's. That chromatic aberration really happens in real life, but you might be too young to remember that.
>>
>>2557707
Chromatic aberration is a technical term. It has the specific meaning of color fringing caused by light passing through a lens where the index of refraction varies with wavelength. It does not mean any other type of color fringing. If you want a generic term, call it "chromatic distortion".
>>
>>2557719
OP sent a precedent. it's called chromatic aberration now, you autist.
>>
>>2557725
So what's real chromatic aberration called?
>>
>>2557732
In optics, chromatic aberration (CA, also called achromatism, chromatic distortion, and spherochromatism.

I guess >>2557719 called it spherochromatism all the time.
>>
>>2557776
You can't call it that because >>2557725 just renamed it.
>>
>>2557428
why does this thread continue to get comments if this guy invalidated it?
>>
>>2557424
not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but,
the aberration is part of the style of the game (old/vintage).
I'm assuming IC bashes people for using it because many people apply it to their drawings for no reason
>>
>>2557949
Because you touch you are self at night
>>
>>2557424

Because chromatic aberration is a viable solution to the effect that they're trying to achieve. It's supposed to be like looking at an old television. The only thing I'd ever ask is for there to be an option to turn it off.
>>
>>2557615

I don't understand why there are so many anons here that are apparently artist but have no appreciation of a detail and who lump things together because it's all the same shit.

I see it in modern art threads most visibly, but there's also shit like this.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.