[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think I should keep trying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: cryomancer.jpg (130 KB, 1200x2051) Image search: [Google]
cryomancer.jpg
130 KB, 1200x2051
I've been drawing everyday for around a year and learning mostly alone, but recently I've been feeling very unsure and lost about what the hell I'm supposed to do.

I can still see improvement, but I feel like I should seek a teacher, and I don't know where or who to seek.

Besides... Things are getting harder at home, and my parents want me to stop dedicating so much time drawing, so I guess I have to decide quickly whether keep going or to try another career... I believe I could start working professionally with illustrations in around 4-5 years, and that might be a long time.
>>
>>2555576
What other career do you have in mind? Everyone and their brother wants to do IT now. Technology will be crowded to the brim just like how the uber industry will have too many uber drivers.
>>
>>2555617
I thought about working translating stuff or as an English professor (it's not my native language btw). I've been thinking about going to Arts college or another major, too.
>>
>>2555617
Well, I never thought much about other careers besides illustration or something involving languages, so that's all I've been thinking; college is free in my country, so it wouldn't be a problem paying for it, I just have to think about what to do.
>>
File: comfy_kot.jpg (115 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
comfy_kot.jpg
115 KB, 1023x682
If that's everyday focused study for whole year , you are either not cut out for art or doing something wrong
>>
>>2555576
Don't give up art if you like doing it. But you need to do something else for a living, and it's a simple fact of professional art, in a lot of cases.

If college is free, don't do languages. Don't do arts. Learn a trade, do something useful. It's not giving up art, and it's not a promise that you won't ever work in illustration. Being a full time, survive-on-your-own professional illustrator is something that takes probably 5+ years that you can't just take to being a hermit to practice drawing.

Study maths or medicine or something. Art can and should have its place in your life, but it sounds like it can't be its entirety right now. Don't follow your passion, take it with you wherever you need to go, you know?
>>
>>2555576

I don't think you should give up but I DO think you don't need to make a thread about yourself
>>
>>2555576
Yeah, don't quit, but keep in mind you've got a LONG way to go before you could consider making decent (and by decent I mean like just enough to live frugally off of). That said, don't make that your goal. Make improving your goal.

Just going off of this one picture it seems to me you're trying to do more than you know how to do, by that I mean no one element of this picture is well done. It's all sub par. You should seek to find enjoyment in practicing fundamentals. Draw lots of anatomy, especially faces.

In fact, you should just about ignore everything else and focus solely on anatomy. If you master that you'll have a good basis to jump off from and focus on other things. IF you spread yourself too thin it will become very tedious.
>>
>>2555576
You shouldn't give up, but you should stop making threads about it. Disappear quietly in the night if you do quit.

As far as the boost to confidence you were hoping for by posing this, I cant help you. If what the other annons have been telling me is true you will be bad for a very very long time and it is best you forget about the finish line and just keep running.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.