[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is an open question to the artists here that make their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (1 MB, 800x1032) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 800x1032
This is an open question to the artists here that make their living on commission and Patreon based artists and in no way am I attacking you, I'm just curious.

I have a 9-5 job and I do art in my free time. Those of you who's entire income come from commissions and patreon payment, is it working out for you? Do you plan to do this for the rest of your lives? Do you have backup plans in case you're payments dry up?
>>
I'm pretty sure 98% of us here either have jobs or are in school.
>>
Anon with real job reporting.
>>
>>2552539
I'm currently living with my parents, no job
yes I want to make a living from drawing
no backup plans, all my education went into graphic design
>>
>>2552850
What did you learn from graphic design?
>>
I make about 800,- a month with commisions.
Which is fine as long as I live with my parents, but if I want to live on my own I have to make 1200,- minimum.(I live in a expensive country)

I hope to fill that gap with Patreon in due time.

I don't plan to do this for the rest of my life but if I can't find a beter alternative I'm fine staying this way.
My gf has a freelance job as well so it's nice to be able to do things while everyone else is at work.

As far as back up plans go, I dont really spend my money on anything.
So my savings account is quite fed, I guess thats my back up.
>>
>>2552924
I'm interested where you get your commissions from? How do you advertise?
>>
>>2552926
Started with people in my surroundings.
Quite a few from people that like to go to GamesWorkshop and such.

Made some small stuff for tournements and DnD/pathfinder groups.

Later on as I got more followers on tumblr I started putting my commission details on there and people slowly started to commission me.
I don't advertise that much, followers/watchers do that for me.
I just make sure there is content every week for them to share and like.
>>
>>2552943
I was thinking of advertising to dnd groups.

That still seems like quite a lot, what do you charge? If that's not too personal
>>
>>2553031
I charge about 100-200,- for a full color piece.
Depending on how complex it is.

I used to charge more but it made the amount of commissions very inconsistent.
Hopefully I'll get a larger client base and beter soon so I can start charging more again.
>>
>>2553036

How long does it take you to do a commission for something like pathfinder/games workshop?

I've heard per hour there rates are extremely low so Im interested in your experience.
>>
>>2553036
Good to know. Thanks for the answers.

I think I'm gonna start charging more. You mean dollars right? I charge about 75 pounds for a full colour piece. That's about 110 dollars I think. What would you say your hourly rate is?
>>
>>2553070

I didn't work for the companys/shop but the people that play their games.

A full color piece take me about 1-2 days, which is about 12,50 .- a hour.

>>2553073

No problem, I'm using euro.

Keep in mind that you'll have to start paying taxes after a while.

So you'll have to generate even more income(36% for me) by then.
>>
I used to work part time and now I'm also back at college and part time.
Jobs in my city are hard to get a hold of, I have negative figures in my bank account so do commissions here and then, but the pay is shit.
I'm European so I'm competing with Polish and Mexican wages. People usually just commission sketches even though my coloured finished pieces are where my fan base comes from, so I barely make enough for a Mc Donalds burger in my country per sketch.

I hope to get a proper long term desk job oneday. Art is only a hobby now.
>>
>>2553100
>I didn't work for the companys/shop but the people that play their games.

Oh I see, judging by the rates I've seen for them your actually making more by working for the fans than the actual company.
>>
>>2553139

Thats pretty bad than, I don't understand why people would accept those rates when being commissioned by a company from who you know will profit off it.

People that commission me do not get the copyrights to the content as it's all for personal use.

If they were to use it to profit off it they'd have to buy the copyrights or pay royalties.
>>
Get a real job. What's so hard about that.
>>
>>2554368
Nice reading comprehension, nigger.

>I have a 9-5 job and I do art in my free time.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.