[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used to have a large passion for doing art and making a career
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 12512.jpg (19 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
12512.jpg
19 KB, 320x299
I used to have a large passion for doing art and making a career out of it. I thought I could do something in the freelance world as long as I was smart about it.

But you know what? It's all bullshit. At the end of the day, for a career, you don't decide what you draw. You may very well draw only banal things. You're a bitch to most people. Writers are superior to you because they can weave in for better stories than you can depict in a single painting.

I've honestly come to believe that drawing and painting are the lowest form of art and expression. Not to mention how crappy the pay is for 99.9% of working artists.

Now you can sit there all smug and give me garbage like "lol no spark" "ain't gonna make it" but who the fuck are you kidding? 99% of you will fail for these very reasons. It just ain't that compelling.
>>
>>2551268
Cool blog.
>>
>>2551268

you are wrong anon. i made 750$ in a single day recently doing around 6 illustrations that literally looked like this. not my dream gig, but insane $/hour ratio.

you think writers are superior? go try to become a professional writer then, see how that goes lol.

also saging because your thread sucks balls.
>>
>>2551268
>I thought I could do something in the freelance world as long as I was smart about it.
>At the end of the day, for a career, you don't decide what you draw.

Are you fucking retarded? Obviously as a freelancer you draw what others tell you to draw and all you decide is whether or not you take the job. That's the very nature of being a commercial artist taking commissions.
>>
File: 1447963362561.png (415 KB, 654x702) Image search: [Google]
1447963362561.png
415 KB, 654x702
>>2551268
>At the end of the day, for a career, you don't decide what you draw.
>>
>i'm a shit writer who got rejected by a bunch of artists
>now i'm bitter and trying to hide it by pretending i ever had a chance at art wah wah wah
>>
Your medium is dying faggot aint no one got attention span to read books anymore ,only way people care about stories is if visual artists bring it to life.

If you can't be creative within restrictions your not creative, have fun making 5k a year trying to be the next J K Rowling
>>
>>2551268

I've had similar thoughts and have come to the conclusion that there's no shame in being a hobbyist. But you know, clientele is generally decided on merit of what your portfolio looks like. Might not always make what you want, but that's really for you to decide. You are your own employer. Hell, sometimes it's good to make something that is way outside the fringe of your expertise.

With regards to the "spark", I do think you need to have the desire to learn and improve, but it's not some esoteric thing that only special snowflakes are born with. It's your mindset.
>>
>>2551268
>Writers are superior
>>/b
>>
>>2551268
>Writers are superior to you because they can weave in for better stories than you can depict in a single painting.

>Painters are superior to you because they can weave in far greater visual detail than you can depict in a single painting.

k

Shame I can't weave in far better formulas into a single painting like physicists can with their papers. Damn.
>>
>>2551268
smell ya later
>>
Yes, being freelance is just not a valid career choice unless you are already established professional in industry.

If you want to make ends meet, you need to have full-time studio job. Still pay would probably be shit and what you mostly will do will be digital art + 3D.

Btw, being writer is also suffering. I'm interested as a hobby in Onyx Path Publishing tabletop rpgs, mainly in Werewolf: Forsaken. I learned that last book for this gameline was a "success" on DriveThru, "Best Electrum Seller". Turns out it means that it sold in less than 500 copies.

Less than 500 copies. For a book that costs $10. Divided by 4 writers + artist + editing/foolproof. A book that makes months to make.

Actually it's less than that for writer, because they are paid between 2¢ to 5¢ a word and with even split (that is not reallistic) it is around 20,500 words per head (actually less). If we assume standard of 3¢ per word it's $615.

And this is one time deal for freelance writers. I don't know what you would have to do to have good life with just being a writer. I know Chris Allen who wrote that book is editior somewhere in his normal job and this is supplement to his income.

What I want to say: being artist or writer as career choice is outright stupid. It's best to educate yourself towards some other direction, have normal job and keep art/writing as a hobby and additional source of income from time to time UNLESS you will become so good that people will be willing to pay you liveable salaries.

But it's impossible for most people. Actually I also don't understand how people in first world countries are writers/artists, because for 2nd and 3rd world when $, Euro or Pound is x3, x4 or x5 than local currency it's a lot easier and it might have sense to be some fucker in Malysia or Ecuador and get cash transfers of real money.
>>
>>2551409

You're wrong because your mind already weaves in visual details as you are reading a book. Your mind paints you a picture so there's no painter needed.

Writers can then focus on characterization and more detail to the setting, which when combined, show a higher form of art.

That's why video games are the absolute highest form of art, they combine the visual (including animation) and auditory art forms along with the writing, but I digress and no one respects that opinion, anyway.
>>
>>2551289
$750 in one day

ur making me sweat
>>
>>2551268
> a large passion for doing art
> making a career out of it

Just make art on the side then. I hope to be published one day but I don't dream of making it my only career. There are like 500 illustrators in my country who make a living out of it, and for how many thousands of new artists fresh out of school every year?

I've 3 friends who are actually writers. It's hard. Only one of them is doing it as his full job (he also does translations and make spanish anthologies for his editor). They put a fukton of effort and time into their passion.
>>
>>2551289
how?
>>
Yeah

Skill has lost its value

And most are in agreement because of the incentives to economize the production costs of anything that requires visual mediums

And that's just any industry related topic.

I used to think there was a hermit-like quality to calling myself an artist. Turns out I was bamboozled - people who call themselves artists and make money know plenty of tricks and aren't the most morally driven.

People who think they want an art career have a veil over their eyes
>>
>>2551289

Is this for WikiHow?

How does one get into that, anyway?
>>
>>2551750
>People who think they want an art career have a veil over their eyes

well this is disheartening
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.