[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watercolor painting, 45 mins in.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 20160531_122459-1.jpg (3 MB, 1802x2775) Image search: [Google]
20160531_122459-1.jpg
3 MB, 1802x2775
Watercolor painting, 45 mins in.
>>
eyes are so tiny
>>
looks muddy
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-30-23-04-27-2.png (742 KB, 1080x1038) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-30-23-04-27-2.png
742 KB, 1080x1038
>>2549937
OC reference pic
>>
>>2549940
Check reference
>>
>>2549949
Duly noted
>>
>>2549940
>>2549963
Eyes Are So Tiny
>>
>>2549937

I will be observing this thread, but I am afraid that you are in hard spot right now. Eyes indeed seem too small to rest of the face proportions . Correcting this would be hard with watercolor only, because you are already painting relatively dark and can only go lighter.

Maybe food for thought - leave eyes and redraw rest of the head proportions scaling them to eyes, the rest that will be left outside of it try blending into some fancy background.

It's just wild idea. Remember also that I'm total n00b that hasn't worked with watercolors.
>>
>>2549980
Thanks for the well thought out advice anon, but I think I'm going to try retracting some of the paint around the eyes with a small brush, water, and a little piece of cloth
>>
>>2549937
we've got a mud mixer
>>
>>2549937
You've kinda fucked up.
You laid down too strong of a base color. Now, you're going to have some difficulty with layering shadows over that. You are likely going to end up disturbing the color underneath.
In the future, I suggest painting the face and its shadows with wet on wet, leaving some white spots for interest, then filling in the hair.

Also, /ic/ doesn't know shit about watercolors.
>>
>>2550015
Alright, thanks a bunch. Is there a better board for non-digital art?
>>
>>2549937
>>
>>2550019
not really. /ic/ still is good for learning fundamentals.

Wetcanvas has a big watercolor community. I would go there for watercolor specific advice.

Blogs like muddy colors, and gurney journey are good supplements.
>>
>>2550138
I'll check it out
>>
honestly would have been a decent piece if it werent for the black lines under the chin. what the fuck were you thinking?
>>
>>2550281
I'm not done anon. The right side will fade into black and then I'm gluing burnt and torn book pages in the background surrounding the face. Look at the reference as well
>>
destroy it an try again. watercolors are light to dark. plot your shadow shapes first and indicate them lightly and work around from there. It's obvious you can't draw well enough to follow this advice anyways.
>>
>>2549937
>>2549957
>>2550319
You can't possibly be serious.
>>
>>2550499
What's the matter?
>>
>>2549937
shit tier art. 45 minutes!? ART = TIME = MONEY. You suck. lmfao.
>>
>>2550669
u suck
>>
>>2550669
This is a fucking progress thread dumb fuck. At least op made something and didn't jack off for 45 mins
>>
>>2550769
he might as well have...
>>
>>2550785
OP here. I actually mix semen into my acrylic paints. I don't tell my commissioners that though. LOL SHHH
>>
>>2550851
>traditional media
>commissioned
Heh. Who are you, captain america? Wake up daddy-o
>>
>>2550855
I've sold at least 7 pieces with the acrylic/semen mixture.
>>
>>2550861
tell m-me more?
>>
>>2551043
Well one day I was really broke and I ran out of flow-aid and my paint was too thick but I needed to get this painting done like the next day. I didn't want to just put water in the paint because I didn't want to dilute it and make more transparent, so I experimented a bit and eventually tried ejaculating into a small plastic cup and then mixed acrylic paint in there. It worked, oddly enough. So I just started ejaculating into my old flow aid bottle and I use that. Saves money. I've never told anyone IRL about it though.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.